BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this board front to back before posting this question.
Were you able to buy a Sport Wagon, and also get Nav?
I have seen plenty of non sports with Nav, but none of the sports have Nav. Just wondering if it was ever available.
Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I remember driving an '03 sport 540it with NAV at one of BMW's ultimate drive sessions. Great car with lotsa room. I've seen several sport models with NAV for sale, but they are rarer than M5's. Try to find an '03 sport, since it has the M5 bumpers, but I believe only around 100 were sport models that year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My wife's car is a 1999 540iT with Nav. She loves it. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Peter M
99 540iT
00 M5

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Yep, they were available with Nav as others have noted. Heck, just trying to find a 540iT with the sport package (2003 model) is essentially impossible. I think the total E39 540iT sales in 2003 were less than 200 cars (169 sticks in my mind for some reason). Now figure at best 30% of these had the sport package...that's 60 cars. Maybe 10 or so at the most had sport and Nav.

We looked for 4 months from last July through October for a 2003 540iT sport, and in that entire period only came across one car with the sport package. It had 40+k miles on it, so it wasn't a candidate. Every other 2003 540iT we found did not have the sport package -- crazy. We ended up buying an 05 V70R with a 6-speed stick for my wife's "wagon" (300HP, AWD, Brembo brakes, etc.), and so far that was a good decision.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have one!

It's a 2003 540iT ///M sport with factory Mk4 nav on CPO. It was a former BMWNA car. All of the 2003 540's with sport package came with M5-front and rear bumper covers, sport diff, stiffer springs, and a few other goodies.

The production stat I saw was that there were just 69 of the 2003 model year 540iT's sold in the U.S.!!!! Not sure how many of those had the sport package, and of those, how many with Nav....probably just a very small handfull. I would not be surprised if ours was the one s62fan saw at the ulitmate drive. Was it Titanium Silver?

Needless to say, when we saw this unique car come up for sale, we jumped on it. We first thought it was some sort of a one-off or prototype after learning it was a corporate car.

Here are some purchase pics attached. Notice the M5 type bumpers, steering wheel, and footrest. It's been a fantastic perfect family car! :wroom:

Greets to PeteM1965 - our wives both have good taste! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Having never seen an 03 540iT sport in person, I just assumed that they came with the 18" rims like the 2003 sedan version. The pictures of yours look to be 17" rims? Were these the standard rims for this car? Just curious. Too bad it never came with a 6-spd stick too...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yup, it came with 17's all around as shown (including the spare). The wheels have the little ///M inserts near the center. Tires were Michelin Pilot Sports (probably not the original set) as we bought it on CPO as a 1 year old BMWNA car with 25,000 miles, it was probably one of the "ultimate drive" charity cars.

This car was sold to Crevier through the Riverside wholesale acution at the same time another 2003 540iT Sport came through. The gray one was sold to Irvine BMW. That makes me think that both were "ultimate drive" cars owned by BMWNA. So, probably next to none of these cars were ever ordered by customers with Nav and Sport package.

I could be wrong, but I'll go out on a limb and say that there probably werent any 6-Speed E39 540iT's sold in the U.S.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
No, you're right. There were never any 6-spd 540iT's sold in the US. The only way to get an iT with a stick was to get the 6 cylinder version.

Nice car btw. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
03E39M5 said:
We have one!

It's a 2003 540iT ///M sport with factory Mk4 nav on CPO. It was a former BMWNA car. All of the 2003 540's with sport package came with M5-front and rear bumper covers, sport diff, stiffer springs, and a few other goodies.

The production stat I saw was that there were just 69 of the 2003 model year 540iT's sold in the U.S.!!!! Not sure how many of those had the sport package, and of those, how many with Nav....probably just a very small handfull. I would not be surprised if ours was the one s62fan saw at the ulitmate drive. Was it Titanium Silver?

Needless to say, when we saw this unique car come up for sale, we jumped on it. We first thought it was some sort of a one-off or prototype after learning it was a corporate car.

Here are some purchase pics attached. Notice the M5 type bumpers, steering wheel, and footrest. It's been a fantastic perfect family car! :wroom:

Greets to PeteM1965 - our wives both have good taste! :cheers:
The car I drove was identical to the one you have. I drove it at Don Rosen, now Mainline BMW in Bala Cynwyd, PA around March of '03. It could be the same car. It was one of the few cars that weren't reserved already, and I think the sticker on it was close to $60K! I think the one I drove had only around 1000 on the clock at the time. All ultimate drive cars were silver, BTY.
I owned an '01 525 wagon with a 5 speed for a while, but really wanted a 540it with a stick. Too bad BMW never made one.

Eric

·
Registered
235 Posts
s62fan said:
I owned an '01 525 wagon with a 5 speed for a while, but really wanted a 540it with a stick. Too bad BMW never made one.

Eric

They made iT... just didn't import iT to the USA

and a few people have converted their 540iT's in to Manual Tranny cars by grafting the driveline (and a few other things) from a wrecked 540i (manual)

and there are a few pics floating around this site of one brave soul who converted on in to a ///m5iT ... truely spectacular... would love to have that car

·
Registered
252 Posts
s62fan said:
The car I drove was identical to the one you have. I drove it at Don Rosen, now Mainline BMW in Bala Cynwyd, PA around March of '03. It could be the same car. It was one of the few cars that weren't reserved already, and I think the sticker on it was close to $60K! I think the one I drove had only around 1000 on the clock at the time. All ultimate drive cars were silver, BTY.

Eric

Eric-

That's our car you drove then!!

There were a bunch of PA, NY, and NJ addresses in the "recent destinations" on the NAV system when we bought the car! The last address was Oxnard, CA (the location of BMW's West Coast VDC), so it was driven cross-country to California to be auctioned to the dealer after doing the ultimate drive.

I was wondering how any car less than one year old could have 25k miles on the odo! Original sticker was around $65k or so. We got a decent deal on it, and CPO coverage.....I brought in a printout of the auction results to bargain them down :)

Small world!

Cheers

-Marc

·
Registered
240 Posts
Marc:

Small world indeed! I would hang on to that car, as it is a very rare model. Being the last year, and having the unique M5 look, it is rarer than a Z-8. I would love to know how many '03s had both the sport and NAV options. I think it is the best looking wagon evere made, IMHO. Good luck with it

Eric

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I agree -- best looking wagon ever made and also much, much better looking than the new 5 wagon!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Nice looking wagon. Wow, I am surprised by the low production/sales numbers, sounds pretty exclusive.

Have you looked under the For Sale Section? There is an S62 M5 engine+tranny to be had for $6,500... Hint hint :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know this is an old post, but i was browsing and couldn't resist replying. I bought my 03540it from Irvine Bmw in Oct of 06. I am not sure it is the same one, but it has the sports package but not the nav. This is a small world if it is the car you saw that was sold to Irvine. I bought it with 24k miles on it. Here is a pic. Dinan CAI already installed. Suspension is next....

Attachments

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Come to our Powerchip meet and greet on the 16th...It'll be worth your while:cheers:
I know this is an old post, but i was browsing and couldn't resist replying. I bought my 03540it from Irvine Bmw in Oct of 06. I am not sure it is the same one, but it has the sports package but not the nav. This is a small world if it is the car you saw that was sold to Irvine. I bought it with 24k miles on it. Here is a pic. Dinan CAI already installed. Suspension is next....

·
Registered
252 Posts
I seem to remember that the Irvine car that when through the auction along with ours was not Titanium Silver but either the light Gray or Metallic Blue...but definately not Titanium Silver. Yours was probably also an Ex-Ultimate Drive car (most were apparently silver) but it just may have come through in a later auction.

BTW, we are now selling ours...here is the link:

http://www.1017.org/m5t/

If you are interested in how we had the exhaust done or anyhting else, drop me a PM!

Marc

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why are you selling???

I seem to remember that the Irvine car that when through the auction along with ours was not Titanium Silver but either the light Gray or Metallic Blue...but definately not Titanium Silver. Yours was probably also an Ex-Ultimate Drive car (most were apparently silver) but it just may have come through in a later auction.

BTW, we are now selling ours...here is the link:

http://www.1017.org/m5t/

If you are interested in how we had the exhaust done or anyhting else, drop me a PM!

Marc

·
Registered
235 Posts
take the ///M badge off the rear... it is not an M... nor close to iT

there are a few examples of grafting a ///M5 in to a 540iT... that would be a lot closer to the ///m5 iT than yours...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Badge

Hmm...........I dont remember anyone giving a f&*! about your opinion Marinkorp.
I know I sure don't.
I personally wouldnt have the emblem on my car, but who really cares what I think?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts