BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just been and test driven a B7 E65 at Sytners in the UK. Very good car, ecellent handling and a worthwhile alternative to my S55.

Got a few questions that I would be grateful if people could help me with.

Can you buy direct from Alpina ? and does this offer any saving over going to dealer ?

Anybody done factory collection and what was it like ?

Two year warrenty anybody extended it ?

Any servicing problems ?

Trying to get an idea of how much I might lose

How much were your Alpinas' new/when you got it ? and how much is it worth now/when you sold one ?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll answer what I can ...

• No ... You cannot buy directly from Alpina, it must be via a Dealership.
  • Having visited Buchloe I sincerely believe that they will really look after you if you wanted to collect the car from them. (And they do not charge extra for this as some makers do) I'm seriously considering Servicing there also. When the time comes to buy again I plan to spec. the new car there and collect. I will also request that the same Technician builds the engine who built my current one.
  • On speaking with BMW/Alpina Owners previously I would suugest that extended warranty is purchased when the time comes.
  • No issues with my car from new. 16,000 miles into ownership now and loving it.
  • Depreciation is difficult ... When I bought my Roadster S the Dealership based it upon the most similar BMW car.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
New cars always get hit hard where resale values are concerned, only levelling out after two years or so. And I feel the e65 B7 will be similar in it's price drop, although I doubt wether it will be as big a hit as the std e65's appear to suffer. I am seeing 3year old e65's up for as little as £30k, it's a mammoth drop. But the B7 is pretty exclusive, but all the same I do intend to have one, just not for another 10yrs or so, that way they'll be worth a fraction of the cost they are at now!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Test Drive of B7

Thanks for the replies :M5thumbs: , still hard to decide, my heart says yes :M5thumbs: but my head is worried about the resale ?????? .

The car is a face lifted model with 600 miles on it has std Alpina suspension no Dynamic drive, Short wheel base. I drove a 745 and 730d when the 7 series first came out, this car had better fit and finish , really nice Alpina bits, dashboard wood, etc interior very nice place to be, good seats, still some tacky buttons though, I drive better but sill a bit complex, extra buttons to operate more common functions on dashboard now.

Car is very quick, easy to believe it may be a little quicker than the S55 (and 500bhp my eye, pretty sure it’s got more), power is really linear, smoother than the S55 as it has a bit of a surge when the supercharger clutch engages. Engine is a bit quieter under load, still sounds good and you can hit three figure speeds on rural roads without realizing :eek: , silent and very smooth when cruising. Gearbox is excellent (minor foible is it starts in 2nd in normal mode :sad3: ), it’s very smooth, very responsive in normal mode, in manual mode it’s amazing , there is virtually no delay in manual selections, it’s better than the S55 in manual mode and much better than the Porsche tip. Brakes are good, very short travel can brake hard and smoothly. Car is easy to potter through town and to drive in a very smooth chauffeur fashion, but then can instantly produce Porsche wasting straight line speed.

Steering is very very good, not just for a luxury saloon but compared to almost all the high performance sports cars I 've driven, good feel, good weight at speed, response is great, car turns in very well, leaves the S55 well behind in this area. Chassis too is very good, just enough feed back without being intrusive, ride was better in the back (nearly as good as the S55) in the front the ride was a bit harsher but still much better than a 7 series Sport, but not as comfortable as front seats in the S55. Grip very good. This car is more of a drivers car than the S55, better steering, better chassis, better gearbox in manual mode, probably a bit quicker as well, the S55 is more comfy, I still think a little better looking, makes a better noise, both cars are very good at their jobs, day to day S55 still has it advantages. The S55 can give people in focused sport cars a fright even on the track, but I reckon the B7 would be even quicker and it would be a bit more fun too, it’s not just superb handling luxury car it’s a great handling for a sports car , it’s easy to exploit the performance and handling, Alpina really know their stuff, I would have to see if dynamic drive and EDC would make it a touch comfier then it would best the Merc in nearly all fields .

On the resale question, in the UK a BMW 745 cost about £60,000 3 years ago, cars with about £5,000 of options can be worth as little as £25,000-£28,000 trade :sad3: If the Alpina B7 is the same then a £85,000 spec car could be worth £36,000, loss of nearly £60,000 :eek:h: :eek:h:

Whereas a Cayenne Turbo cost £70,000 basic three years ago (say £78000 with options) is now £53,000 trade loss of only £25,000. ??????

Links in case pictures don't work
Car http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ug/data/500/B7July2005010.jpg
Boot inside http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ug/data/500/B7July2005006.jpg
Bootshut http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ug/data/500/B7July2005007.jpg
Car http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ug/data/500/B7July2005012.jpg
Rear seats http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ug/data/500/B7July2005002.jpg
Controls http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ug/data/500/B7July2005004.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have got an S55 at the moment

Quick video of it 5mb low quality.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=AMGS55bigclipNOsmusic

Cars are very close in terms of performance, I can believe the B7 may be very slightly quicker, B7 a slightly better drivers car (steering is very good), the S55 has a better ride , makes a bit better noise, is tiny bit better in the city. They are both very very good at what they do with the B7 having the drivers edge, the S55 the comfort edge.

As you guys have said one important area the Mercedes may well do quite a bit better in is resale :(

On Sunday I test drove a Cayenne Turbo with 500 bhp upgrade and 20 Inch wheels, didn't like it, ride was terrible :eek: , passengers in the back were thrown around all over when the car was driven with any speed on bends, not enough support from drivers set either, even on the Motorway (freeway) it was so much worse than the B7 or S55 :sad3: Very good performance for a 4wd and it steered quite well, but unless you need the offroad performance, I think a B7/s55 or an m5/B5 would be far more comfortable and quicker, if you need to carry large objects a B5 Touring/RS6 or E55 estate would be much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.