·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who needs a Truck when you can buy this!. :1: hiha :1: hiha :1: hiha

B

·
0 Posts
Interesting! However, I prefer the idea of owning a second car, something like an SUV or sport wagon.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd rather have my finger nails pulled off one at a time...but then again to each his own :eek:h:

-Jeff

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You all have to know I'm JUST KIDDING!

I have spent the last week detailing the M5. From removing all wheels, power washing underneath, Gummi-Fledging all my rubber, door seals, and steering boots below to using a sharpened toothpich to do touch up. OH!, and don't forget about Chrome polishing he inside of my exhaust tips hmmm

i just thought the wooden Box really went well with the BMW

Pics soon :byee55amg

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
10,455 Posts
while i wouldn't go as far as the wooden box, i do have that thule rack with the bike attatchment, and would consider the basket for track tires, and a luggage box for vacations. It'd be worth the luggage box to be able to take the M5 on more road trips, rather than the wifes family suv.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow, and here I was thinking you were serious Sam. Teaches me. Here is the question though; could you live with the divot marks the screw driver would leave on the removable panels on the roof? Someone should start a thread about how to take care of those...hiha just j/k
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mike,

Your wife has a Land Cruiser, correct? How do you like it? Is the car stable at 80mph? Does she find it hard to manuever in during everyday congested driving?

I looked at the Land Cruiser heavily during the Portland Car Show, and I was really impressed. Although the design is old, Toyota engineering really is superb.

Travis

·
Registered
158 Posts
M5Kid said:
Mike,

Your wife has a Land Cruiser, correct? How do you like it? Is the car stable at 80mph? Does she find it hard to manuever in during everyday congested driving?

I looked at the Land Cruiser heavily during the Portland Car Show, and I was really impressed. Although the design is old, Toyota engineering really is superb.

Travis

·
Registered
158 Posts
M5Kid said:
Mike,

Sorry, hit submit too fast.

We have a LX470, which is fairly similar, though the suspension is different. It has been a great truck. 2001, with 50K miles and tight as ever. Leather and interior is fine except for some child induced carpet stains ??????

My only speeding tickets have been in it, for a truck it handles well, but I guess it is easy for the cops to spot. ( I have a long drive I have to make once a month, takes 75 minutes in my F150, 65 min in The LX470, about 60 in the M5). Off road and in snow it has been unstoppable. Only negative is you can get a ruptured disc trying move the back row seats in and out. Would definitely get another one. Only real competition is Range Rover and dependability and resale swayed my purchase in 2001, would now too.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
BmwNut said:
... could you live with the divot marks the screw driver would leave on the removable panels on the roof? Someone should start a thread about how to take care of those...hiha just j/k
:cheers:
Obviously these folks don't know "Sam humor" - they'll learn fast enough :1:

The BMW rack comes with a non-marring plastic tool for popping up the little "doors" that cover the attachment points. I've used it a dozen times on the 330xi, no marring at all. BTW, the BMW rack is top quality, and perfectly designed. I never used a Thule (pronounced TOOLEE for those unfamiliar). The Yakima rack is second-class, the round crossbars howl like a defective tire, and mediocre quality. Yakima makes a decent cargo box, however. I have a 21 cu. ft. box for the SUV, and there is plenty of room for three teenagers plus ski gear up there :hihi:

·
10,455 Posts
Travis, we recently replaced the landcruiser with an lx 470. The landcruiser was extremely durable, an appliance, perfect for family hauling. Very reilable, comfortable to drive, stable at 80, sure, i may have hit 100 in it once or twice. Having kids in the 3rd row of seats does make the handling go down quite a bit. It's impressive how such a big heavy truck can be influenced by an extra 150 lbs behind the rear axle.

The Lexus is considerably nicer. As has been mentioned, it has a different suspension, self leveling, ride height adjustable with adjustable dampeners. It actually has a "sport" setting, which really firms it up. The quality of the materials for the interior is much nicer too. Like the new e60, the 05 lx470 has active steering, which felt really bizzare on the drive home, a long sweeping turn on the highway (at about 75mph) really threw me, as i had dialed in the steering i thought i needed, and it wasn't enough. It is really handy to park, with just over 2 turns lock to lock. The suspension, steering and interior quality certainly justify the price difference, but there is certainly more to go wrong long term, with the lexus. The hydraulic suspension seems less sensative to the load distribution than the coil sprung landcruiser.
Mike

M5Kid said:
Mike,

Travis

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mike and rosenc,

Thanks both of you guys. Both the Lexus and Toyota seem to be great trucks. I agree with your thoughts about the interiour quality level between the two, as it was obvious to me that the Lexus is superiour to the Toyota, although both are very nice. The Toyota seems to be a great truck to pick up used. 2003's are going for mid 40K range, with decently low miles.

Thanks again,

Travis

·
Registered
369 Posts
mottati said:
while i wouldn't go as far as the wooden box, i do have that thule rack with the bike attatchment, and would consider the basket for track tires, and a luggage box for vacations. It'd be worth the luggage box to be able to take the M5 on more road trips, rather than the wifes family suv.
Which bike attachment? I am getting a bike rack for my M5. I just purchased a Giant OCR 3.

I have no clue what I need, can you help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts