BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Steve here, So. Cal BMW club member, 3rd M Car, my M5 with 3200 miles is awesome. I have some common occurences and a couple questions:
1) My shift knob is flaking. Took off ring. Temp fix until replacement.
2) Using K&N Air chargers, uses same filters as 540/740i V8, just two of 'em. Nicer sound, more power? I'm not sure.
3)Takes 2-5 seconds of cranking to re-start after driving and engine up to temp. Normal? Anybody else experiencing this?
4)Oil consumption within others' experiences.
5) Found oil information at European
Castrol website(text in German). They have some great F1 pics and some interesting calendar photos. Worth a look.
6) Found M5 oil at a discount at SSF Motorsports in South San Francisco.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the K&N filters. They improve a little the sound, but nothing very noticeable. I put them because it is well known that they let engine breathe a lot better than the stock filters, but i must admit that i thought when buying them that they would give a better sound improvement than they really gave.

Oil consumption : i was annoyed around 15000 kms because the cons was always high (around 1 liter per 1000-1500 km), but now i've 20'500 kms and added no oil since 18'500. Many others say that oil cons start to calm down only after 20'000 kms.
I simply wait the Oil Level signal because it is enough accurate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm at 39.000 kms, oil consumption has settled around 4-6000 kms/litre (2200-3500 miles/quart?), all depending on driving-style.....

Søren

1 - 3 of 3 Posts