BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Did you plan the purchase on the same day or was it serendipitous? Either way, very cool and congratulations! I'll be at 10 years in Dec, but at 86K miles my car has a lot of life left in her!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the LMB die?
At 232k it suddenly told me to "Stop Engine Low Oil Pressure" by the time I coasted in to Sandbach services it sounded as though somebody had dropped a few pounds of nails in to the engine....

It's currently with my Indy awaiting diagnosis and I have approx 1k miles to do this week so to buy another seemed like a plan ;)

Purchasing on the exact same day was sort of weird especially with it being 10 years apart, didn't even think about it until I was signing the paperwork :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
232k is one hell of an effort. That was all on original rod bearings, timing chain guides etc. if I recall correctly?
Yes all original although I did get the vanos bank 1 replaced a couple of months back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
thats pretty incredible on a pretty much stock from the factory motor. I sure hope my LMB lasts 230k+ miles!!! and oh the irony on the date of purchase!! hopefully the new on will last you another 10 years!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any update on what happened?
According to the garage they suspect it was the timing chain that got lose and started slapping around and causing damage.

Essentially their view was that from an economical view point it was not worth getting them to do the work, with 232k miles on the odometer other issues could start emerging.

The rust has started to come through in anger, NS A pillar, sills, fuel cap area, scuttle, boot lid, below boot lid, NSR quarter, OSF front wing, which is a replacement done by the dealer 7 years back, bottom of 3 of the doors and according to the MOT tester the week before last the floor pan is starting to look a "bit ripe".

So the plan is for the AA to pick the car up on Monday from my Indy and bring it home to me to use as a donor car as and when parts are needed e.g. The tyres have less than 500 miles on them, the pusher fan was brand new less than 200 miles back plus a few other bits which are virtually brand new / replaced in the last couple of months.

It also had a lot of the options list ticked which means it's ideal to fill some of the gaps on it's replacement plus it means I'll have spares for things that sometime fail such as mirrors, lights etc. Strangely the steering wheel has less wear than the wheel on the replacement car, so there is an immediate swap.

I'm going to see if FAB BMW are interested in it as they are only 6 miles from me so they may offer a half decent bit of money but keeping it as a donor seems to be the most sensible.

Replacement car had 112k miles when I picked it up but I've already stuck 800 miles on it during the last 5 days. Plus it had a main dealer service two days before I bought it... :D

·
Registered
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the donor concept. Ideally you would have bagged a new LMB though. Now you've got even more swappable parts no paint needed. ;)
True, but beggars can't be choosers at times.... the Titan Silver was 30 miles from me, fantastic body work and was tight as a drum, has come with a good service history which shows a lot of work completed over and above basic maintenance.

For me there were only two negative... Black Kidney Grill and dark grey OEM wheels, but both of those are easily sorted.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yours ****s the bed and you find a sound example within 30 miles almost immediately? How'd you manage that??
Pure luck, had spotted one in Inverness that I was going to look at but it sold the morning I got in touch with the the owner. Did another search through the E-bay classifieds and by chance the one I bought came up, (I'd not seen it before as I'd been searching for "BMW E39 M5" and the owner in his advert had omitted "E39" ...

Anyway I spotted his address in the pictures so decided to have a look at the car unannounced. I also recognised it from some pictures on the UK forum so was also able to track back some of the previous owners history etc with the car. The other positive is that I am familiar with the main dealer who has done service / maintenance work on the car over the last few years and my Indy also knows one of the previous owners who is also a customer of theirs and they'd mentioned that that previous owner had wanted to buy the car back when he sold his M3 in February this year.

The MOT history shows that the car has only done 20k miles since February 2009 so had become a little bit of a garage queen taken out on "High days and Holidays "

FWIW I found Autotrader and Pistonheads to have a smaller selection of cars than E-bay as well as both being much more expensive for similar cars based on age, history and mileage....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts