BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I'd call myself a picky audiophile.

I thought the Logic7 sounded decent, but the high end is muted, the mids are muddy, poor imaging.. it sounds clean but not much detail

Focal makes some of the best car (and home audio) speakers around. The 100KP inludes 2 tweeters and 2 Mids. I also used a Focal Polyglass for the center.

Retail is $750 but you can find it much cheaper than that.

http://www.al-eds.com/focal-100kp-4-speakers-p16874.html

Total Speakers replaced: 4" center channel, Tweeter and 4" mids each door

Center Channel: This one is easy. Pop off the grill, dremel off two of the brackets on the Focal and use the other two to attach.

Door removal: There are 5 screws. One behind the door handle, two behind the CF trim, one behind the window switch, and one inside the vent hole under the tweeter

Door Tweeter: The focals are just a mm or two larger so you'll have to shave down the stock bracket to get it to fit.

Door Mid: (the *****) I dremeled off the focal brackets, dremeled off the entire circular stock bracket and epoxy'ed them together. Turn it over and there is a little gap where you can pour more epoxy. The epoxy holds 1500 pounds per square inch so I'd say its gonna hold. Also for some reason the door mids have two connectors going into each +/- so you'll want to solder em together.

Took me probably 4 hours of total work and as I soldered the connections but I would do it again. The results are night and day. The mids are there, imaging, high end and detail. The stock amp has enough power to drive the efficient Focals.. they sound louder with the same power. How this setup compares to the "Enhanced Premium Sound" I am curious..

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts

I thought the Logic7 sounded decent, but the high end is muted, the mids are muddy, poor imaging.. it sounds clean but not much detail

Focal makes some of the best car (and home audio) speakers around. The 100KP inludes 2 tweeters and 2 Mids. I also used a Focal Polyglass for the center.

Center Channel: This one is easy. Pop off the grill, dremel off two of the brackets on the Focal and use the other two to attach.

Door removal: There are 5 screws. One behind the door handle, two behind the CF trim, one behind the window switch, and one inside the vent hole under the tweeter

Door Tweeter: The focals are just a mm or two larger so you'll have to shave down the stock bracket to get it to fit.

Door Mid: (the *****) I dremeled off the focal brackets, dremeled off the entire circular stock bracket and epoxy'ed them together. Turn it over and there is a little gap where you can pour more epoxy. The epoxy holds 1500 pounds per square inch so I'd say its gonna hold. Also for some reason the door mids have two connectors going into each +/- so you'll want to solder em together.

Took me probably 4 hours of total work and as I soldered the connections but I would do it again. The results are night and day. The mids are there, imaging, high end and detail. The stock amp has enough power to drive the efficient Focals.. they sound louder with the same power. How this setup compares to the "Enhanced Premium Sound" I am curious..

Nice post, I'm sure many will think it is helpful. I used to be really picky about my sound. I still have my boston pro components, alpine ivad300, phoenix gold xs4600, and JL. They are just sitting in my closet but I didn't want to even upgrade and do anything to my M for weight purposes. I'm sure you wouldn't do subs(so heavy) but the component speakers are heavier than the stock speaker I bet. I'm just going to save my stereo for when I get a beater car.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks but too much work:( I think the stock system sounds pretty damn good. I used to compete in sound offs when I was younger. Been there...done that! I am glad you are pleased with the sound. Pretty cheap upgrade if it really sounds that much better:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is an audio upgrade from the premium sound package worth it on a convertible, given the glorious engine sound? I am picky as well but not sure I want to do this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you dont wanna do the doors, just do the center.. its used alot w/ Concert Hall mode.

I just upgraded the Center from Polyglass to K2P and it is better.

I have one extra K2P speaker at the moment.. PM me

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PART 2: The BASS

Added a 2-channel amp to power the stock woofers under your seat.

Before where it had bass fill, now it seriously bumps and
gives your back a nice massage. :eek:

I think the mids are clearer also because the amp has more power since it doesn't have to drive the subs.

DO NOT waste your time with the Earthquake SWS-8 which is a direct replacement, but it sucks bad. One note bloaty and farty, and missing alot of midrange.

Directions:

Your Logic 7 amp in the corner of your trunk has high level outs to the two subs. You will see two pairs of thicker wires, about 14 gauge. Brown is negative. These are the L & R to your subs. Get an amp with a high level in or use a Line Output Converter. I used an Audison LRX2.4 that gets hot enough to fry an egg.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Added a 2-channel amp to power the stock woofers under your seat.

Before where it had bass fill, now it seriously bumps and
gives your back a nice massage. :eek:

I think the mids are clearer also because the amp has more power since it doesn't have to drive the subs.

DO NOT waste your time with the Earthquake SWS-8 which is a direct replacement, but it sucks bad. One note bloaty and farty, and missing alot of midrange.

Directions:

Your Logic 7 amp in the corner of your trunk has high level outs to the two subs. You will see two pairs of thicker wires, about 14 gauge. Brown is negative. These are the L & R to your subs. Get an amp with a high level in or use a Line Output Converter. I used an Audison LRX2.4 that gets hot enough to fry an egg.

thanks for the info, will a mono amp work as well? do you knwo are the subs 2ohm or 4ohm?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Nice post, I'm sure many will think it is helpful. I used to be really picky about my sound. I still have my boston pro components, alpine ivad300, phoenix gold xs4600, and JL. They are just sitting in my closet but I didn't want to even upgrade and do anything to my M for weight purposes. I'm sure you wouldn't do subs(so heavy) but the component speakers are heavier than the stock speaker I bet. I'm just going to save my stereo for when I get a beater car.
+1 :cheers:

·
1,764 Posts
Hey mspeed, tried to fit my new JL Audio Gotham subwoofer in my M6, but darn it just wouldn't fit. It sounds better in my media room anyway. And, it is way too heavy. It's so big my wife is still trying to figure out what it is.

Thanks, for the suggestions. Is the audio in your M the upgraded version (before your upgrade of course) or std. version?

:cheers:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have the standard Logic 7..

I did the install myself. the stock amp sends alot of midbass to the subs you should use it w/o a crossover.

The aftermarket subs didnt reproduce any of this midbass and didnt even bump as hard.. probably may due to the tiny enclosure.. the stock subs actually fire downward with some sort of passive radiator on top.

JL Audio actually just introduced a slim car subwoofer.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=245

They have no plans to make an 8" though

im in West LA.. PM me if you wanna check it out..

·
8,369 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the excellent post.

Question please:

1) Center channel is 4 inch speaker size?

2) Do you still have your extra 100KP available for sale?

3) Did you install the crossover network?

If you still have your extra 100KP available, kindly PM me your asking price as I am interested and would like to replace my center channel speaker too to start.

Many thanks.

if you dont wanna do the doors, just do the center.. its used alot w/ Concert Hall mode.

I just upgraded the Center from Polyglass to K2P and it is better.

I have one extra K2P speaker at the moment.. PM me

·
Registered
23 Posts

This is a very helpful thread - thank you.

A couple of questions please:

Do you need to use the crossovers supplied with the focal speakers in the door or does the stock wiring do what it needs to (i.e. do I just take the old speakers out and fit the new ones?)

I take it the Focal speaker for the centre channel is the model with the built-in tweeter?

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is an Old Post, good luck getting a response.. few things..

A. the SWS 8 Earthquakes are great for underseat when powered and sealed properly contrary to what mspeed said.. I believe he did a bad install on his making it sound like crap..

and

B. If Bavarian Sound Werks would get their act together, you can buy the direct replacement kit for our Logic 7, already available for the M5, that works directly with the factory amp.. problem is, they have been working on the fitting now for half a year.. someone needs to give them another puch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts