BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to see how many miles I average between fuel stops and also the cost of each fill up so I could figure out an average cost per mile. I stored the cost of my last 9 fuel stops along with mileage in my iPhone in order to present you all with the following table of glory:

<table style="table-layout: fixed;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="375"><col span="5" width="75"><tbody><tr height="13"><td class="xl24" align="center" height="13" width="75">Miles</td><td class="xl26" align="center" width="75">GBP £</td><td class="xl29" align="center" width="75">US $</td><td class="xl24" align="center" width="75">£ / mile</td><td class="xl24" align="center" width="75">$ / mile</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">135</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£62.43</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$121.54</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.46</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.90</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">122</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£63.86</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$124.32</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.52</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$1.02</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">182</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£63.99</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$124.58</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.35</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.68</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">194</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£63.80</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$124.21</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.33</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.64</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">233</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£58.00</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$112.91</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.25</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.48</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">139</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£37.23</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$72.48</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.27</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.52</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">117</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£52.09</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$101.41</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.45</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.87</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">191</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£64.71</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$125.98</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.34</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.66</td></tr><tr height="13"><td class="xl25" align="center" height="13">163</td><td class="xl27" align="center">£63.00</td><td class="xl30" align="center">$122.65</td><td class="xl28" align="center">£0.39</td><td class="xl31" align="center">$0.75</td></tr><tr height="13"><td align="center" height="13">
</td><td align="center">
</td><td class="xl34" align="center">Averages</td><td class="xl32" align="center">£0.37</td><td class="xl33" align="center">$0.73</td></tr></tbody></table>
So over the last 9 fuel stops I've averaged 37p ($0.73) per mile in fuel costs alone, not taking into account depreciation, tyre wear, maintenance costs (we don't get maintenance free in the UK), road tax, etc.

You'll not from the table the most I've ever driven between fuel stops is 233 miles which cost £58 ($112) to fill up. This is to date my best ever mpg and range from one tank, it was on a trip to London just before new year's eve. I was in no rush and pegged my speed at 85-90mph with cruise control except for a few quick blasts and a few slow sections for speed cameras, arrived in London with 22mpg showing which I was shocked at consider 4 adults in car all with luggage, not a very exciting journey though. Most of the time I'm averaging 12-14mpg around the city and country roads.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
wow... thats expensive... I try not to think about it, it doesn't hurt as much this way.:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wow....and we complain about our gas prices at $3.15 per gallon.

·
Registered
917 Posts
using 1US gallon = 3.7854 litres
using £1 = $1.946
we pay £1.05 per litre = £3.97 per litre = $7.38 per gallon :eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh:

So you see my fellow Americans, I chose E60 M5 because of gas mileage . This is because I bought it right after arriving in US (on my work visa) from London before I would actually realize how expensive gas looked like to Americans (it was 2.40/gallon/premium in nj at the time). I just thought it was a joke that I found the gas so cheap and selected my car without any regard for gas prices (I would appreciate a bit of range though).

What was much more painful was the fact that gas in new jersey was $1.20 per gallon when I left US the last time to move to London in 2003 (again on work visa) and was greeted with two interesting pieces of information:

1. Gas was 89 pence per litre (that would still be about $7/gallon) - holy crap!! AND more importantly:
2. Because of these prices, I could buy a very little used 7 series BMW for 10K-15K in english muffins, I mean pounds. Wow!! what a deal.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Mine was costing 50p per mile a year ago - I guess the mpg in London is a lot worse than up North. So much happier I'm running the D3 as a daily driver these days :3:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I guess that doesn't include any track days.:haha:

What petrol are you using?

Traffic is the killer though. If I have to leave in the morning to take our daughter to Nursery, I can be stuck in taffic for about 30 mins. I could walk it in less than that. Takes me 5 mins to get there just after lunch to pick her up.

The price of petrol does not appear to deter people from using their cars either, as just about all the mothers I see going to the school are all driving 4x4's.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
So over the last 9 fuel stops I've averaged 37p ($0.73) per mile in fuel costs alone, not taking into account depreciation, tyre wear, maintenance costs (we don't get maintenance free in the UK), road tax, etc.
I though it was bad here in the San Francisco Bay Area, which often has the highest priced gas in the US.

Following your example, totals for the last 9 fuel stops:
Total mileage: 1736 miles
Fuel: 132.9 gallons
Cost: $485.45

13.06 miles per gallon
$0.28 per mile fuel cost

I feel better now :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just been reading Total BMW today and came across an interesting article about BP Ultimate 102

taken from Total BMW mag
"BP has opened a new filling station inside Silverstone circuit which sells the firm's 102 octane race fuel. It might let you run a more powerful set-up for a track day, but it doesn't come cheap: BP Ultimate 102 weighs in at a hefty £2.45 a litre.
etc..."

So I recon a tank of gas would cost £140. that is nearly $280 to you guys over the pond.

Not sure if it is worth it for a track day, seems very expensive.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Once again proving Einsteins' theory of relativity.......I'm feeling soooooooo much better about $3.25 a gallon. Think I'm goin for long fast drive. :eek:h:

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,791 Posts
Holy ****stick...That's absurd - I'd be driving a hybrid at a minimum over there. I don't think about fuel costs over here - but if my costs were at least doubled? Forget that...

·
Registered
994 Posts
The price of petrol does not appear to deter people from using their cars either, as just about all the mothers I see going to the school are all driving 4x4's.
With the Range Rover Sport's new V8 diesel and BMW's superb 3.0 twin turbo diesel in the X5 they can return some great mpg. A modern SUX is a very safe place for kids. I drive a 535d M Sport Touring when I'm back in England. 35mpg makes a nice change.:applause:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Holy ****stick...That's absurd - I'd be driving a hybrid at a minimum over there. I don't think about fuel costs over here - but if my costs were at least doubled? Forget that...
Hybrids are a con. Diesels are the sensible answer in Europe.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
With the Range Rover Sport's new V8 diesel and BMW's superb 3.0 twin turbo diesel in the X5 they can return some great mpg. A modern SUX is a very safe place for kids. I drive a 535d M Sport Touring when I'm back in England. 35mpg makes a nice change.:applause:
Whos kids?
I'm not a fan of them, I think the vehicles themselves are fine, In fact I quite like the Range Rover sport, but my main problem is I hate being behind them in traffic, I also hate having to wait for them to get down the road where my daughters nursery is becuase they have to avoid the parked cars and I certainly would not be impressed if one ever came close to my daughter.
Apart from that they are fine, but there are just so many better vehicles you can buy, like the 535d:haha: etc.

535d is a nice car and the engine is amazing, especially for a diesel. You only have to think back a few years to realise how far they have come.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I only drive the M5 on long trips and Meets.....everyday driving is the Beetle....45 city /51 highway...

·
Registered
76 Posts
besides cost, u doing pretty good on range. i run only 105 miles till the light come on.

I decided to see how many miles I average between fuel stops and also the cost of each fill up so I could figure out an average cost per mile. I stored the cost of my last 9 fuel stops along with mileage in my iPhone in order to present you all with the following table of glory:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts