BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, a few bmw owners i know have recently had their bumper stolen. I've been looking into this for a while and believe i have a solution which stop thieves from getting your bumper. I'd like to know if theres enough interest in this before i commit myself to this 'project'.
The fix for this is a set of special bolts that have individual 'keys'.
Each set has a different 'key'.
I'll go into more details once i know what the possible take-up/ interest is.
This is applicable to all E36,E46,E39 series.
Please log your interest.
Wane.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You know, you can buy tamper ressistance bolts that require a special tool. Not sure you can get them in the same type of bolt that holds the bumpers on but you probably can. You see these all the times on bathroom stalls.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Who here has had their bumpers stolen?

I'd be afraid that if they were desperate enough to steal the bumper they would trash it anyway trying to remove the key locked bolts.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I'd be more worried about getting the headlights stolen. My neighbor had them stolen off his X5.

This is the first time I hear about stolen bumpers for M5s.

·
Registered
2013 F10 M5
532 Posts
Gustav has his front bumper stolen.

It's not that hard to get the bumper off. There are around 12 8mm bolts and a few weird plastic holders that need a 2mm pin punch.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
you can buy tamper proof bolts, honda guys have been using them on the seats of s2000. however the most common item stolen these days, greater than headlights, are catalytic converters... they still them for the platinum thats inside and sell them to boneyards and dismantlers... (although this only a threat for raised vehicles. eg: suv, trucks etc. the biggest threat for regular passenger vehicles are headlights. most common targets acura tl, nissan maxima, audi s4.)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Front bumper: 2 Torx 50 and 8 8mm screws. 10 minutes at the most.
Rear bumper is a PITA (IMO) to get off-removed part of the luggage room interior and removed 6 lugs-furthermore you have to remove 6 plastic rivets in the rear wheel houses, the rear valance and 4 screws. Could be nice with some special bolts for the front bumper.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hopefully it won't happen to anyone here. It brings back memories of stealing a corner light for a Chevy Caprice Wagon at 16 after me and a buddy were using it to run a slalom course made of garbage cans. We never got caught (by his dad).

Karma came back though and at 20 I had my 5.0 litre Saleen replica mustang stolen for parts. The police found the frame about 2 weeks later, just like you see on the production line. Even the glass was gone!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
i may be a bit paranoid but listing the exact parts/tools needed for removal on a theft thread is kind of just adding fuel to the fire.
Well If there are any thieves lurking around just check my post #09.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i may be a bit paranoid but listing the exact parts/tools needed for removal on a theft thread is kind of just adding fuel to the fire.
No man. These tools have been listed on every tips and hints for BMW's.
Every thief who really wants these things know exactly what tools to use. Or if they don't they just borrow or steal a copy of Haynes or Bentleys.
Or just use the search function. How to.....

Had my wheelshop remove my theft proof bolts faster than I could remove the ordinary bolts when I had lost the key?- they used a very expensive special tool though. Thats why I now use some very special wheel lock bolts.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Thats why I now use some very special wheel lock bolts.
Which ones?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Had my wheelshop remove my theft proof bolts faster than I could remove the ordinary bolts when I had lost the key?- they used a very expensive special tool though.
i can remove an ordinary wheel lock-bolt easily... like you said you faster than a regular... its no trick, however i dont make the info readily available... idk, maybe im just paranoid coming from s4 community, bc there were so many thefts, and some of the thieves were lurkers on forums...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Which ones?
They are made by a company here in Sweden (Intera) A development of McGuard. At least I think they are developed by Intera - anyway it's impossible to get a tool in between the wheel-bolt and the rim.
Will try to post a pic in due time if you are interested. Were rather expensive at abt $160.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i can remove an ordinary wheel lock-bolt easily... like you said you faster than a regular... its no trick, however i dont make the info readily available... idk, maybe im just paranoid coming from s4 community, bc there were so many thefts, and some of the thieves were lurkers on forums...
Thats allways a problem with Forums like this where members are asking questions how to do this and that and where you can get hints and threads. This Forum has been of invaluable help to me in performing small repairs and mods on my Beast but of course in the wrong hands (or for the wrong eyes).
But that will allways be a problem. We shall enjoy our cars and not be too paranoid. If someone wants something that badly they will allways get it one way or another. I use:
Locked garage with alarm
Very good tamperproof Wheelbolts
Allways use the code on the car and allways lock the car even in the Garage
Registrationnumber engraved on the windows of the car
All the best
Magnus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts