BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst my car was being "looked after" by the garage - they managed to loss the adaptor for the locking wheel nuts.

I went to BMW and looked @ their collection - ended up purchasing 2 no adaptors. Numbers 38 and 40 - lots of splines on them.

Don't work !!

My wheels have 13 splines in the nut - any ideas on how to get these off ?

BMW says that they cannot tell which nuts would have been suplied with the car. Would this info not be accessible on their system / build sheet info ?

:( :( :(

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hi,

I have two sets of BMW locking wheel nuts on my car. (It`s not paranoia if they really are out to get you!)

Both of them have at least 20-35 splines. 13 sounds a little low. I suspect that they may not be BMW nuts.

The usual way, tried and tested by many a thief, is to simply find a near match, fractionally too big socket, then hammer it in. Undo the jammed socket, it takes the locking wheelnut out at the same time. This trashes the locking wheelnut, obviously, but releases the wheel.
This is by far the easiest and preferred method

Method two is to use a large metal drill-bit (some have used a dremmel and a lot of time) to destroy the top of the nut, leaving only the column of the thread. The wheel will come off over this, then the thread column is removed from the wheel hub with a powerful set of locking grippers.

Method three is to have a big normal nut welded onto the locking wheelnut. This is tricky as the weld must be done from inside the normal nut to avoid damage to the wheel. This is more common on trucks or cars with steel wheels, as it is too easy to mark or even melt the fragile alloys or their finish.
Once welded on, undoing the nut undoes the locking nut too.

I don`t know of any other techniques that will remove the nut without destroying the wheel.

If you want me to pop over with my two BMW keys to see if either will grip, then just ask.

PS. How much do you want for the steering box? Was your car a 3.6 or 3.8, mines a 3.6 and I think the bos is on the way out.

Ivan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello ivan,

Thanks for the offer, I'm working away all week - could I request your prescence next Sat /Sunday ?

We can talk about other bits then.

;) ;)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes, no problem. It`ll be good to catch up.

Let me know what time and day is better for you.

I`ll PM my mobile number to you, you`ll have to tell me your address, I know roughly where, but not exactly!

Ivan

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok,

Cheers for that. Sunday afternoon would be best for me - you ?

Christmas party on the Saturday night.

Will be good to catch up.

You have driven past my front door previous - you have been spotted. PM on route.

:noSMG: :noSMG:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts