BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my M5 a month ago, the cars VIN was already in the provincial registry and the previous owner had provided it to me in advance so that I could get insurance on it. I just realized that i don't know where the VIN number is. On Canadian vehicles its always on the dash in front of the driver and on the door jamb. Can't find it in either spot on my car. Mine was originally a 1990 German-market model that was imported to Canada. I didn't see a Canadian import sticker on the door jamb either. Not really worried because the car is already registered but where should it be? Searching the forum said that there was a sticker under the fuse box cover but didnt reveal anything either besides the fact that my fusebox is in German. The door jamb just says "M5" and has the recommend tire pressures in bar. I know it's a legit vehicle because the color and all options check out when I decide the VIN. Just wondering where else I should look?

Thanks in advance.

·
10,457 Posts
it's also stamped on the body, there's a space in the plastic trim below the windshield, pretty much in the middle of the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's also stamped on the body, there's a space in the plastic trim below the windshield, pretty much in the middle of the car.
Hmm...I'll have to take another look. I looked on the driver's and right sides but not in the middle. Thank you.

·
10,457 Posts
i can snap a pic later if you can't find it. Open hood, look toward middle of windshield, then down below the wipers. There's a little 'window' in the plastic and it's stamped into the body there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for your help! My friend from Europe who I bought the car from was shocked that we drive around with our VINs on display in Canada. Haha!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Vin number is also written on the DME; Engine Control Unit. In case you ever need it, the chassis number is stamped on the same metal as the VIN, just on the other side on the windshield wiper. You have to take off the trim piece to see the chassis number. It does not have a window through the trim to see it like the VIN number. If you ever want to get an authenticity certificate from BMW, you have to send this number along with the engine number.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
In case you ever need it, the chassis number is stamped on the same metal as the VIN, just on the other side on the windshield wiper. You have to take off the trim piece to see the chassis number. It does not have a window through the trim to see it like the VIN number. If you ever want to get an authenticity certificate from BMW, you have to send this number along with the engine number.
Here's a photo of mine

·
10,457 Posts
The Vin number is also written on the DME; Engine Control Unit. In case you ever need it, the chassis number is stamped on the same metal as the VIN, just on the other side on the windshield wiper. You have to take off the trim piece to see the chassis number. It does not have a window through the trim to see it like the VIN number. If you ever want to get an authenticity certificate from BMW, you have to send this number along with the engine number.
i've gotten bmw certificates of authenticity with just the vin, and my registration to show i actually own the car. Used the last 7 of the vin, did not give engine number or anything else.

·
10,457 Posts
i did one for my sedan a couple years ago, but just did my touring a few weeks ago. There is a space on the form for the chassis and engine number. For chassis number i put the last 7 of my vin (honestly didn't know about the chassis number you posted). I left the engine number blank (not sure exactly where to look for it). Did the same for my sedan, and the certificate arrived. I received a confirmation email from bmw classic that they received my order and it would be done within a couple weeks, so it seems that they don't need the chassis or engine numbers. They also require proof of ownership, which has the full vin. I need to look back on the certificate to see if the engine/chassis numbers are present on the official certificate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just found my letter to BMW requesting the letter of authenticity. mottati is correct. You only need the VIN #(Last 7), and proof of ownership to get the certificate. On the certificate they send you is the chassis no. and engine no. For the chassis number, they list the last 7 of the VIN., which I find interesting. I will try to get a picture of the certificate and post it. I will also show a photo of the engine number.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The VIN does also show on the dash-board in the check-control "window", if you wish.
That way you can see and check if your car still has the original and correct instrument cluster
(this is sometimes re-placed against the cluster of an US-car for grey marked import cars
by the company organizing the federalization process).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts