BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Location of EVAP Test Port for Smoke/Leak Tester

160 4
Hi all - I have an large EVAP leak and of course a new gas cap did not fix the issue. At first the warning indication was that the gas cap needed to be tightened but soon after the warning was upgraded to a check engine light. So I purchased a smoke leak tester tool and now I just need to know the location of the hose where I could introduce the smoke to look for leaks.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E60 M5 SMG
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s the purge valve thats gone bad. Sadly, everyone keeps thinking it’s the gas cap that needs replacement - I went through it also lol.
Thanks! That is what I am thinking the problem is as well but I want to make sure and use a smoke machine I just purchased to confirm where the leak is. Do you know which hose I should remove to hook up smoke machine leak detector?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The M5 (US Version) has a separate system to test for tank system leak (DMTL system). This system is active after each cold start (>5 hours parking time). Since you have a check engine light a fault code has been triggered, from the fault code you can tell if the issue is the DMTL components or a leak exist.

BMW diagnostic systems can test the DMTL system for function and possible leak.

Tank vent line is cream color from the DMTL module (connection) runs across the tank from the passenger side to the driver side under the underbody panel, there is a connection parallel to the front of the driver side rear tire (connection) all the way up to the engine bay driver side connected to black flexible hose at the driver side intake plenum (connection) then back around the plenum to the V area. To test you can apply smoke where the pump inlet, remove the hoses connected to both idle control valves to check if they are not fully closed.

·
Registered
2007 E60 M5 SMG
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The M5 (US Version) has a separate system to test for tank system leak (DMTL system). This system is active after each cold start (>5 hours parking time). Since you have a check engine light a fault code has been triggered, from the fault code you can tell if the issue is the DMTL components or a leak exist.

BMW diagnostic systems can test the DMTL system for function and possible leak.

Tank vent line is cream color from the DMTL module (connection) runs across the tank from the passenger side to the driver side under the underbody panel, there is a connection parallel to the front of the driver side rear tire (connection) all the way up to the engine bay driver side connected to black flexible hose at the driver side intake plenum (connection) then back around the plenum to the V area. To test you can apply smoke where the pump inlet, remove the hoses connected to both idle control valves to check if they are not fully closed.
As always, thanks Platiii...very helpful detail!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts