BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my M5 for 3 weeks now and got the low oil warning. From reading this great forum I knew it was the 1qt every so many miles deal.
Nobody in my area stocks 10w60. So I was going to order some on the web and grab a quart or two from the dealer to cover until my order got here.
I was expecting to pay $20 a quart at the dealer.
I asked for 3 quarts and the price. The service guy gives me a bag with the oil in it and tells me it's on the house. Normal charge is $13.50 each, very good price vs the web after shipping.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The dealerships here in the Bay Area usually will top you off for free with 10W-60...at least they always have for me. 3 different dealerships.

Reactions: Edenhurst

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yep, Mt View BMW has done me a solid a couple times and just topped me off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just bought mine about 3 weeks ago as well and received my first low oil warning today. I had gained some useful knowledge from this board, so I pretty much knew what the deal was, however I called the local dealership here (Hendrick) anyway. The advisor was really helpful and said anytime that happens to stop in and they would top it off.

Good to know!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Some dealers will do this as a way to earn your business. It also depends on WHO at that dealership.

I always used to stop by to get a top off at Crevier and most of the time they did it without question. One time I stopped off (and it happened to be literally 5 days after I just paid $3500 for extended maintenance) and I got an earful from a check-in attendant (not even a service adviser) about how "it's a courtesy for customers that have a long service history here, and we're not required to give out free quarts of oil, blah blah." I was about to chew him out but despite the noise he was making he got the right oil and poured it in, so I just got in and drove off.

Now I just buy the oil myself since it's not really worth the time it takes to get topped off. It always takes about 25-30 minutes to get topped off. Arrive, 10-15 minutes for someone to come help me because I have no appointment (but they won't let me make appointments for oil top-offs), then 10-15 minutes for them to get oil and pour it in.

I just bought a crate of 15 for the last oil change and had a bunch left over. I just keep one in the trunk now.

Reactions: ONEofONE

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some dealers will do this as a way to earn your business. It also depends on WHO at that dealership.

I always used to stop by to get a top off at Crevier and most of the time they did it without question. One time I stopped off (and it happened to be literally 5 days after I just paid $3500 for extended maintenance) and I got an earful from a check-in attendant (not even a service adviser) about how "it's a courtesy for customers that have a long service history here, and we're not required to give out free quarts of oil, blah blah." I was about to chew him out but despite the noise he was making he got the right oil and poured it in, so I just got in and drove off.

Now I just buy the oil myself since it's not really worth the time it takes to get topped off. It always takes about 25-30 minutes to get topped off. Arrive, 10-15 minutes for someone to come help me because I have no appointment (but they won't let me make appointments for oil top-offs), then 10-15 minutes for them to get oil and pour it in.

I just bought a crate of 15 for the last oil change and had a bunch left over. I just keep one in the trunk now.

Now that you mention it, unless I'm in the area or there for something else, it's probably not worth it really.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought mine from a guy who dealt with Mt View BMW exclusively. When I went to them for service info, they treated me like I just bought the car brand new from them. I get down there a lot, but obviously they are 500 miles from here, or I would deal with them. Good folks there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts