BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your delaership provide a loaner car when your car is in for warranty work? I was shocked to learn that Santa Monica BMW does not provide loaner cars for warranty work.

Before my M5, I owned a Ford Lightning... anytime the truck was in for service, Galpin Ford provided a loaner car for me to use (albiet it was a Ford Focus). Could it be that Ford has better customer service than BMW?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
Does your delaership provide a loaner car when your car is in for warranty work? I was shocked to learn that Santa Monica BMW does not provide loaner cars for warranty work.

Before my M5, I owned a Ford Lightning... anytime the truck was in for service, Galpin Ford provided a loaner car for me to use (albiet it was a Ford Focus). Could it be that Ford has better customer service than BMW?
The only dealer that consistently provide loaner cars in the area is New Century BMW. It's quite far from Santa Monica considereing the infamous stretch of I-10. When I was near West LA, I just brought my car in to Santa Monica BMW, have them shuttle me home, then take the big blue bus back to pick it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,926 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
Does your delaership provide a loaner car when your car is in for warranty work? I was shocked to learn that Santa Monica BMW does not provide loaner cars for warranty work.

Before my M5, I owned a Ford Lightning... anytime the truck was in for service, Galpin Ford provided a loaner car for me to use (albiet it was a Ford Focus). Could it be that Ford has better customer service than BMW?
Mine does, apparently at the discretion of the SA. There is a house loaner, and an onsite Enterprises Rent a Car, which the dealer pays for. My dealer does not give out used cars for "test drives" as loaners. YMMV
Regards,
Herry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
My BMW dealer provides a complimentary loaner car (6 of which are BMWs) only if the vehicle in for warranty service was purchased from them.
If purchased from another dealer, they do offer to provide a rental at your expense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Ive almost always received a loaner. Sometimes they are hard to come by, but as long as I give the dealership enough notice they put me in one (usually ends up being a 745i). Even when Ive had a few emergencies they can usually find me a loaner within a day or so. Its not always a 7 but something is better than nothing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To the people that have received loaners, did you also buy your car from the dealership? I feel like a second class citizen when taking my M5 in for warranty work. The service receptionist had the nerve to say that BMW is responsible for fixing the car but not providing me with transportation. Well, if the car didnt have warranty issues, then I wouldnt need alternate transportation! I wonder if BMWNA is aware of the disparity between the different dealerships in whether a loaner is offered?

Should a person be penalized because he did not buy the car from the dealership?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
Should a person be penalized because he did not buy the car from the dealership?
Again, this depends on dealership. I believe Santa Monica BMW may provide loaners to ppl that bought their cars there, but it's usually done through the sales rep that you purchase the vehicle from. However, I also know that if you get aquainted with your service advisor, he may somehow find a vehicle for you eventhough I've never had a loaner as I too didn't purchase my car there.

If you really need a loaner, just goto New Century (eventhough I'm not a big fan of their service department), they provide loaner regardless if you purchased the car there as long as you reserve it ahead of time.

p.s. I am now in the bay area and Condord BMW has always provided either BMW loaners or they will rent a vehicle for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
To the people that have received loaners, did you also buy your car from the dealership? I feel like a second class citizen when taking my M5 in for warranty work. The service receptionist had the nerve to say that BMW is responsible for fixing the car but not providing me with transportation. Well, if the car didnt have warranty issues, then I wouldnt need alternate transportation! I wonder if BMWNA is aware of the disparity between the different dealerships in whether a loaner is offered?

Should a person be penalized because he did not buy the car from the dealership?
Sorry about your luck!!grrrrrrr In the Washington Dc area I know that all BMW dealers provide for a rental during warranty work and non-warranty work with 24 hour notice for non-warranty work. Most of them are really concerned with getting this 5 star rating on all levels.
The other day our 530i was giving my wife some idoling issues and we had it towed to BMW of Fairfax, my SA had 2 guys on the car in minutes, mind you this is at 7 pm. The service department at BMW of Fairfax is open until 9pm weekdays and 5 pm on Saturday. While I was waiting the techs asked if I would like something from the parts department, i.e. hat,shirt,jacket, whatever up to $100. I was so shocked, they took me down there and I had them order me a M5 hat and they did!!!:1: I received it about 5 days later.

Back to point, when I take either the M5 or the 530i in we gat a loaner for free from Enterprise right in the dealership. We are only covered for 24 hours though for non-warranty work. However, they always have things fixed same day. I would call BMWUSA and tell them of your experience. They do care and they have this point system for rating their dealers service and quality work.:flag: Good Luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
:typing: One more thing!! I did not purchase either vehicle at BMW of Fairfax, that means nothing to them. My SA stands behind BMW no matter where it came from, maybe I am just lucky to have my SA!:cheers: Good Luck!!:flag: :wroom:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
this is really up to the particular dealer. My dealership (concord bmw) always has provided me with a car to use when mine is in for service. I have bought several cars from them, but not the M5. Usually i get a 3 series loaner, but i've gotten used cars, enterprise cars (very rarely), my salesmans personal car etc. I'm not sure if that is their normal policy however. It does keep me happy, and was what got me to trade from a 3 series to a 5 series (getting an e39 loaner).
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
mottati said:
this is really up to the particular dealer. My dealership (concord bmw) always has provided me with a car to use when mine is in for service. I have bought several cars from them, but not the M5. Usually i get a 3 series loaner, but i've gotten used cars, enterprise cars (very rarely), my salesmans personal car etc. I'm not sure if that is their normal policy however. It does keep me happy, and was what got me to trade from a 3 series to a 5 series (getting an e39 loaner).
Mike
Yep, thanks to Mike I now have to drive an hour to visit Concord BMW when something comes up eventhough my closest dealership would be East Bay (actually I almost drive past it to get to Concord :7:. But at the end of every trip, it's always worth it. I never had to take a shuttle or ask for a ride from there and the service is top notch. :byee55amg They even have a tech specializing in the beast. :happybirt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Niello in Sacramento provides loaners for warranty work- either in house BMWs or Enterprise. didn't buy from them. Niello Acura also gave out loaners for all warranty- didn't buy from them either.

Sounds like Santa Monica are just AHs... I will bet that the entire service and sales experience has the same feel. Bummer

They sound like the only game in town and act like it too.

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
All the dealers Ive gone to do ALL...And they have all been new bmw's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
I have been taking my car to South Bay BMW in Torrance(190th & Hawthorne Blvd.). They always give me a car. I have had nothing but excellent service from them. My SA is named Ash Delillo(very cool guy, definitely see him if you go), and he has apporved every single thing I have asked for through warranty. These guys are top notch, and your car always gets a bath before it is returned to you. If you would like any more info on these guys, please PM me. If you do decide to call him, feel free to mention my name.

Hector

Ag Surfer said:
Does your delaership provide a loaner car when your car is in for warranty work? I was shocked to learn that Santa Monica BMW does not provide loaner cars for warranty work.
Before my M5, I owned a Ford Lightning... anytime the truck was in for service, Galpin Ford provided a loaner car for me to use (albiet it was a Ford Focus). Could it be that Ford has better customer service than BMW?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ard said:
They sound like the only game in town and act like it too.

A
Not necessarily the only game in town, but the most convenient. The next closest dealer to me would be Beverly Hills BMW. I'll give them a call next time I need warranty work to see if they offer loaner cars.

It's really sad that BMW, the makers of the ultimate driving machine, doesn't have a policy in place to provide loaner cars for all warranty work at all dealerships. Dont get me wrong, I love my car but this treatment has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Follow my logic for a minute: car owner takes his M5 in for warranty repair for issues which were impliedly caused by BMW... BMW does not give him a car to drive while his M5 is in the shop ... owner takes bus home ... owner rides motorcycle during heat wave to work ... owner not really happy about situation ... owner does not forget how he was treated ... owner owns M5 for several more years and loves every minute ... owner wants to buy a new car ... owner shops around ... owner remembers that dealership did not provide loaner ... owner does not purchase vehicle from that dealership. In the worst case scenario, said owner buys a different brand altogether!

SO to recap, in failing to stand by their product and provide a loaner, they've essentially lost a potential customer, lost goodwill though the negative publicity generated by said customer on public message boards and word of mouth, and lost an opportunity to turn a pre-owned BMW buyer into a new BMW buyer. They're essientially saying that we'll take care of you only if you bought a new one from us, which in my opinion, kills the resale value of their cars, effectively hurting the overall value of their cars.

I'm off my soapbox now, but this has been bothering me for about 3 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hector Lopez said:
I have been taking my car to South Bay BMW in Torrance(190th & Hawthorne Blvd.). They always give me a car. I have had nothing but excellent service from them. My SA is named Ash Delillo(very cool guy, definitely see him if you go), and he has apporved every single thing I have asked for through warranty. These guys are top notch, and your car always gets a bath before it is returned to you. If you would like any more info on these guys, please PM me. If you do decide to call him, feel free to mention my name.

Hector
Thanks Hector... i'll let you know if i ever go down there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Loaners have nothing to do with BMW or the warranty. They are absolutely at the discretion of the dealer. Some do, some do sometimes, some don't. I get it in writing when i buy the car. They tell me it only lasts during the warranty period, though. We'll see after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Digi said:
Loaners have nothing to do with BMW or the warranty.
Legally, you may be right (although lengthy warranty issues may trigger lemon laws). But from a marketing and customer service standpoint, do you still feel the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
kiwi M&M... I've been going to East Bay since 97... I get a BMW loaner everytime even for out of schedule oil changes, etc... Jim Burke, Mike Pedro and the guys over there are awesome. :thumbsup:



kiwi M & M said:
Yep, thanks to Mike I now have to drive an hour to visit Concord BMW when something comes up eventhough my closest dealership would be East Bay (actually I almost drive past it to get to Concord :7:. But at the end of every trip, it's always worth it. I never had to take a shuttle or ask for a ride from there and the service is top notch. :byee55amg They even have a tech specializing in the beast. :happybirt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
Digi said:
Loaners have nothing to do with BMW or the warranty.
Legally, you may be right (although lengthy warranty issues may trigger lemon laws). But from a marketing and customer service standpoint, do you still feel the same?
That is also up to the dealer. I have had a dealer (non-BMW) that would not perform warranty work on my car because I did not buy my car from them. I showed them the warranty, and said that they had to...I had the manufacturer talk to them and say they had to work on my car. I still couldn't get an appointment.

Bottom line, the dealers are independent. They may not care about several years from now and earning your business...not many businesses today think beyond today's bottom line. The current business philosophy seems to be to get as much as you can from the customer today at the least expense, the future is not important.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top