BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A silly question. I just noticed that there is asmall block knob on the floor behind the gas pedal. I can't say I remember seeing this on my 530, or I just have a bad memory. It looks almost like a clutch stop, except not in the right location. What is that thing?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is you car an automatic? Just a guess but my parents had a 525 many moons ago. It had a button under the gas pedal. When you pressed the gas pedal all the was down it pressed the button in causing the car to downshift.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It sets the limit of the accelerator pedal travel. Similar function to a clutch stop. I am assuming your car is a stick, otherwise it would be a kick down switch as black02m5 said.
:cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I found this knob loose on the floor at my feet last week; found the hole behind the accelerator pedal and screwed it back in. I have no idea if it needs to be adjusted; it doesn't have a very long 'bolt'.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I forgot to post what car it is for, it is E39 M5, so, no it is not an automatic. At least I hope not!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Its a stopper. Make sure you leave it on the car or you can be in deep trouble if you decide one night to drive the car aggresively. Since I bought my car used, I wasn't aware that I was missing my stopper or that I even needed one. One night I went to cruise around with my cousin and he wanted to take it for a spin. I lent him the car and he wanted to test what my beast can do. When he got to second gear he put the pedal to the metal and the gas pedal got stuck to the floor. The rpm's were revving like crazy and my cousin automatically turned off the car before the engine over heats. I do not know why our cars are designed like that but that moment was nerve wrecking.

Just wanted to share. :)

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Its one of the best kept performance mods. You buy an after-market knob that comes up only half as high ... boom! 50 more horsepower. You gotta get one! They really work!

Just like turbinators and magnetic gas molecule aligners....

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
greg said:
Its one of the best kept performance mods. You buy an after-market knob that comes up only half as high ... boom! 50 more horsepower. You gotta get one! They really work!
hiha hiha Well as long as the button has an M emblem on it or a Type R badge you are correct. Otherwise you only gain 5rwhp. I hear Dinan has one for $1500 that adds 51 HP, but noone can prove the extra 1hp gain just yet. Anyone wanna go in on a group buy?

·
Registered
120 Posts
That sounds too easy. Why wouldn't they build the car with a smaller stopper if it added so much performance?? Who in their right mind would pay $1500 for a piece of metal that says Dinan??! If this 50bhp addition is true it would be a necessary investment... (I like Kool-Aid)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
DC187 said:
That sounds too easy. Why wouldn't they build the car with a smaller stopper if it added so much performance?? Who in their right mind would pay $1500 for a piece of metal that says Dinan??! If this 50bhp addition is true it would be a necessary investment...
Dont drink the kool-aid...:7:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
You guys and your crazy horse power gaining schemes!!!:thumbsup:

The sad thing is I have to think about whether you folks are kidding or not... sometimes....well, make that a lot of the time!

You know it's not nice to tease a non-modder;)

Anita

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Anita said:
You know it's not nice to tease a non-modder;)

Anita
It might not be terribly nice, but it sure is fun! Sorry, sometimes I just cant help myself, and it seems Greg couldnt either.
In the words of the kool-Aid man, "Oh YEAH." hiha

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
BmwNut said:
It might not be terribly nice, but it sure is fun! Sorry, sometimes I just cant help myself, and it seems Greg couldnt either.
In the words of the kool-Aid man, "Oh YEAH." hiha
Oh, the silly posts keep the board hopping! Keep up the good work :1:
And if nobody ever teased me, I'd be very disappointed :crying:

Don't forget to get those fireworks--I just returned from a trip to the "back room"--don't ask :biggrin:

Anita

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I have to stay away from the fireworks right now, I dont want to add any extra to the Arizona State BBQ. This place is going up like a roman candle...
Not even to mention, the more fires that are out there, the more I have to acquiesce to the demands of the Forest Service slurry blombers at the airport. They already screwed up an approach for me today, but with a good chunck of the desert on fire I guess I can forgive them.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
BmwNut said:
I have to stay away from the fireworks right now, I dont want to add any extra to the Arizona State BBQ. This place is going up like a roman candle...
Not even to mention, the more fires that are out there, the more I have to acquiesce to the demands of the Forest Service slurry blombers at the airport. They already screwed up an approach for me today, but with a good chunck of the desert on fire I guess I can forgive them.
Sorry for the glib fireworks comment then!! Didn't know things were so bad out that way. Good luck to you, and to everyone else involved! Are the fires due to natural causes?

Anita

1 - 16 of 16 Posts