BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a few threads about the car turning on itself when the voltage regulator goes pear shaped, I installed a cheapo volts meter in the cig lighter socket that i watch. I recently installed and had registered a new factory battery (against my better judgment as the original 8 year old battery showed no faults, but was old and i got a new one at wholesale), I digress, in any case of late i have noticed the voltage creeping up a bit to a hig of about 14.3, where it was usually 13.9-14.1...Am i starting to see a regulator fault or does the system charge a newer battery at a higher voltage?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just installed and registered a new 110Ah 900A lead acid battery yesterday, registered it, and am seeing 14.8V constant.......

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Yes, a new battery will charge at a higher voltage than an old one. This is one purpose of the IBS as older batteries have reduced voltage output due to grid corrosion and shedding of active material from the plates. IBS monitors battery health and lowers charging voltage to prevent excessive gassing on charge which further damages the plates' grids.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Total thread hack here, how you enjoying the UK jcolley?

Loving it!

Sitting in the Yardbird pub in Hammersmith station with my 9 and 10 year old while the wife chats with a crowd of done up Cure fans. Show starts soon, so we'll wander across to the Apollo.

Leaving London in the morning heading north. Probably should decide where soon...

·
Registered
38 Posts
That show tonight should be good, the Hammersmith Apollo has had some well distinguished artists perform in it! Pity we missed each other while u were in the Emerald Isle!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Loving it!

Sitting in the Yardbird pub in Hammersmith station with my 9 and 10 year old while the wife chats with a crowd of done up Cure fans. Show starts soon, so we'll wander across to the Apollo.

Leaving London in the morning heading north. Probably should decide where soon...
Head up to Finland, we have winter here :2:.

- Antti -

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
My radar detector displays voltage so I can watch the system. I run low 14's for a while after startup and then it tapers down into the 13's. When I replaced my battery I matched the oem spec so when I coded it it was just a key press to tell it she had a new one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just installed and registered a new 110Ah 900A lead acid battery yesterday, registered it, and am seeing 14.8V constant.......
I recently replaced the old oem battery with Duralast H8-AGM, and I've been monitoring the voltage of the Passport 9500ix, and it has been reading between 14.3 - 14.8vdc. I've put about 1k miles since, and no issues so far. But I'm a bit concerned that the voltage regulator might go bad.

Is this a sign that the voltage regulator is giving out?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I recently replaced the old oem battery with Duralast H8-AGM, and I've been monitoring the voltage of the Passport 9500ix, and it has been reading between 14.3 - 14.8vdc. I've put about 1k miles since, and no issues so far. But I'm a bit concerned that the voltage regulator might go bad.

Is this a sign that the voltage regulator is giving out?
To me that looks like normal charging voltage.

- Antti -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts