BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just out trying to gather some real world information on the new M5. My father is getting ready to replace his Range Rover S/C. Its a decent car but the dealer is just plain pitiful. Hes worked his way down to a few all be it strange choices. He likes the idea of an SUV and since he gets a supplier discount an Escalade is on the table but its not a number one choice. The other options include an Aston Martin but its very very expensive and its like having a super model girlfriends looks great and runs great but you never know when something is gonna go wrong. The Jaguar XKR is really choice number one but again its dealing with the same Dealer and that sucks. The last choice is an LS 460 only drawback is its Japanese and our family just doesnt do Japanese. Anyways, my question to you is how is the M5 in real life. What kind of gas mileage do you get in the real world? Does the SMG tranny get annoying in traffic or do you adjust? As a commuter vehicle would you recomend it? Is it allot to maintain with the high performance engine etc? Does the ride get old being so stiff? Does iDrive get allot easier to use with practice? I know BMW's are generaly reliable but does the M5 have a few more things go wrong because of its high performance design? Any just randomn things about it that a buyer should know? I look forward to your responses and thank you for any comments or advice you may have to give.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I say 750i short sport. That would fit your dads bill perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i suggested, but he says it reminds him of a town car because of its size. Any advice on the M would be appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thats what i suggested, but he says it reminds him of a town car because of its size. Any advice on the M would be appreciated.
My 2c: stop and go traffic was the reason I upgraded from E39 M5. iDrive is perfect for this, I would usually select D1, so it starts from 2nd. Works great for me. And I can still use S mode and have fun. Two cars in one.
:blabla:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The M5 is not for him....as mentioned above, go with the 750, nice ride and any speed over 80mph, they will move just fine.....M5 is not my choice for an every day car........by the way I DO love my M5.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Any advice on the M would be appreciated.
If your Father likes to drive a manual transmission, has experience with a manual transmission and understands that that is what he is getting with this car and the SMG transmission then it could be the ideal car for your Dad.

That should be the first question to get out of the way. The 7-series is anything but a town car. He can even get it with a cooler and a TV/DVD for the backseat, I believe.

Good luck...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Alpina B7... I got my neighbor to buy one (nice sale I made for my salesman)... car is awesome and handles like no other large sedan

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
too bad it's the same dealer, otherwise i'd say check out the new jag sedan coming out this spring, looks really great (on paper)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts