BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not at all understand whats happening here. Its like
a freakin nightmare. I had to replace 2 MAF sensors,
fuel pump, o2 senors, and this thing is still kicking into
limp mode. I cannot beleive that installing headers did this.
I have had NO problems , then bam, 10 days after header
install, and now 3 weeks later, still in the shop. Has anyone
had this limp mode problem, what could be the problem?
I dont know what to do next. I feel like crying over this, its
like theres no end in sight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Steve. That limp mode was a weird feeling after being thrown into the seat a few seconds earlier. I hope you get it corrected soon and with as little expense as possible. Let us know what you find out for those of us that would like to put headers in some day. Best of luck.


Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,865 Posts
Stevus said:
I do not at all understand whats happening here. Its like
a freakin nightmare. I had to replace 2 MAF sensors,
fuel pump, o2 senors, and this thing is still kicking into
limp mode. I cannot beleive that installing headers did this.
I have had NO problems , then bam, 10 days after header
install, and now 3 weeks later, still in the shop. Has anyone
had this limp mode problem, what could be the problem?
I dont know what to do next. I feel like crying over this, its
like theres no end in sight.
Whatever the problem is, it sounds like it is NOT the things you replaced since that did not help. Many of us have headers, so it is unlikely it is that per se. IIRC you did the PC upgrade, have Wayne look at your ECU file. Make sure there are no leaks. Check the collectors, there is a very heavy spring to hold it togehter, make sure they are still holding correctly. Also, the system uses clamps instead of welds, make sure nothing has loosened up and is admitting lots of air, upsetting the system.
As mottati sugests, there should be some stored codes, that will give you a lead as to what the computer thinks is wrong. Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This problem occurs with the ECU set at factory also. He has re-flashed
the ECU to factory now, it is still happening. He called me this morning, and
is going over the car thoroughly, looking for anything it may be. We have
tightened up everything underneath. I will update as soon as I know.
I did get quite a wierd call this morn, he said he opened the ecu, and he asked if I had done anything else to the car, I said no. He said there was some wires
that did not look factory. This car was stock when I bought it, it came out
of Canada, so wqho knows?? If he doesnt find the prob by tomorrow, I will
take the DME out, and send it to powerchip, they have been great, and I highly
recomend them!
:M5launch: :M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,354 Posts
Just get the racing cats and get it over with! Maybe your cats are messed up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
you might want to check the gaskets on the charge piping from the airbox up. While disassembling mine, I found that something had been pressing against mine (part of the piping in the fitting) from the factory and had caused a portion of the gasket to become misshaped, either this or it was a defective gasket so either is possible. In either case, I simply re-greased the rubber gasket, placed the deformity in one of the grooves so as to force it into being symetrical along the entire portion of the piping. It appeared that it would serve as good logic that the higher the CFM was during high RPM acceleration or higher speeds, air may have slipped past the gasket and disturbed the balance of incoming air circulating around the MAF sensor and possibly have triggered the DME into thinking that there was something largly wrong, causing it to shut down to diagnose the problem. It may not be the same in your case, but after that, I've had no problems at any RPM/speed since. Hope you get it fixed, hate seeing this problem as it appears to be recurring more often!


Good luck! :thumbsup:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,455 Posts
without knowing what the fault codes are that are throwing the car into limp home mode, you are going to have a much harder time to really fix the problem. I had a bad vanos unit put my car into limp home, and a misfire. Does it go away on restart? How old are your spark plugs? At this point, you're just throwing parts at the car, the codes could point to the right direction. Is the car currently at a dealership service dept or an independant bmw shop?
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Check the secondry 02 sensors because when those have any sign of too much fuel they will put the car into limp mode because it thinks the car is putting out way to much fuel and its for stupid emmisions. Try that then let me know also check the ce light code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
TurboM3_916 said:
Check the secondry 02 sensors because when those have any sign of too much fuel they will put the car into limp mode because it thinks the car is putting out way to much fuel and its for stupid emmisions. Try that then let me know also check the ce light code.
That certainly is an interesting avatar location you have listed there. :3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so I just got word that the car is done, and OK now. He re-programmed

everything, and it is not going into limp mode anymore. I can certainly
tell you my bill is gonna be astronomical with all the time, and extra
thing that have been done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Stevus said:
OK, so I just got word that the car is done, and OK now. He re-programmed

everything, and it is not going into limp mode anymore. I can certainly
tell you my bill is gonna be astronomical with all the time, and extra
thing that have been done.
CONGRATS! (on the beast back up, not the bill) :thumbsup:

I know how frustrating that is so I'm happy to see you're back on your way with everything on the up and up! :M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,354 Posts
Thats exactly what my dealer told me before pickin the car up, 50 miles later... same problem!!!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top