BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are lightweight wheel options in 18 inch sizes? I've read the thread on 19's but, I want the smallest possible wheel that will clear calipers.

The M5 is LM Blue, so if you have pictures of the Dinan wheels (which are supposedly light) I'd appreciate it. Also, are there lightweight 18 in. Kinesis wheels?

·
Registered
463 Posts
empowered5 said:
What are lightweight wheel options in 18 inch sizes? I've read the thread on 19's but, I want the smallest possible wheel that will clear calipers.

The M5 is LM Blue, so if you have pictures of the Dinan wheels (which are supposedly light) I'd appreciate it. Also, are there lightweight 18 in. Kinesis wheels?
The Dinan wheels are among the lightest at around 18lbs. Pricey though. For about half the money, I bought BBS RGRs, which weigh in at 19-20lbs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree with previous two posts. Dinan lightweight 18 inch wheels are hard to beat.

I have two sets...one for winter tires and the other for summer tires.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
10,455 Posts
another vote for dinan, 7.7kg is what i remember reading...
I love mine.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
kinesis and one or two others make lightweight 2-piece wheels that are about one pound heavier than the Dinans

if you spring for the Dinans i recommend using the 9 1/2 "rears" all round with a 3mm spacer in front - this allows f/r rotation and optimum support of 275 tires

for track i use 9 1/2 SSR competitions (27mm offset) which require a 3mm spacer in the rear and 10mm in front (i had a custom spacer made but there may be one available now) -- these wheels are about a pound heavier than the Dinans and under $500 ea if they're still available. They have a reputation for bending easily. I've bent them, but under circumstances that would probably bend anything else. If you're worried about potholes, 2 or 3-piece wheels are the way to go

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Dinan makes the lightest (17-18lbs.), and one of the strongest 18" wheels for the M5. Fikse and Kinesis are also good options.

Travis

·
Registered
118 Posts
empowered5 said:

Are you looking for a Track rim or Street rim? If for Street another vote for BBS RGR's. Light weight, good looks and durable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Dinan Wheels are the Lightest, I have a set (3 weeks old) with tires and they are just about brand new and I need stock wheels because I returning my car to the dealer, maybe we can do exchange + cash
my number is (702) 306 7243 Sean

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I love how the Dinan wheels look, but didn't like the price. I went with SSR Comp in 18x9.5" with 10mm spacers up front and no spacers (but hub-centric rings) in the rear. They are gorgeous and I got them at TR wholesale so I didn't pay that much. They weigh 18.1lb each I believe.

Here's a photo without center caps:

·
10,455 Posts
stever said:
if you spring for the Dinans i recommend using the 9 1/2 "rears" all round with a 3mm spacer in front - this allows f/r rotation and optimum support of 275 tires

With dinan's 18x9 front wheel, they recommend a 275 front tire and a 285 on the rear 9.5. You don't really need to go the 4 rear wheel and spacer route. With a middle or stiff setting on the rear bar, there is plenty of opportunity for oversteer, if desired.
Mike

B

·
0 Posts
Dinan are the ones to get, and at $999 per wheel, a set of 4 costs less than the BBS LMs.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Just ordered a set of Kinesis K28s for mine to clear the rear Stoptechs, they should be a couple weeks out at this point.

I decided to stick with stock tire sizes to minimize any adverse impact on steering feel. I went up half an inch on front rim width (18x8.5).

If, between that and the camber plates, I don't get enough front grip to balance the car out a little better, the next step might be to trade the friction limited-slip for a Quaife...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Funny thing about the SSR's I have heard that alot of people think they are soft but after almost 20k miles in NYC with them on my s4 (not a light car) they were totally fine. I think you just need decent tires and keep proper inflation and they should be fine.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Baldy, mine is a Ground Control kit. Lowered by about 1.0-1.5" or so.

B

·
0 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
Daniel and Redshift

Love the lowered look of your cars, by how much have they been dropped and which kits did you use?

Cheers
KW Variant 2: Front is set at 13.5" and the rear at 13.25".

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
cheers Redshift and Daniel,

There are so many quality mods to do to these cars its difficult to put them in an order of priority...

I think first will be a Tubi and maybe a second set of rims as ACS type III are great but quite common over in the UK.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
The lightest wheels in the Eurotuner wheel comparison/buyer's guide were the Forgeline, offered in BMW fitments exclusively by UUC and built to your specifications. These 18" sizes weigh from just under 16lbs to 18lbs depending on width and options (titanium bolt option saves weight).

These are true forgings, the wheel center pressed into the shape... not "billet forged" which machines away from a forged billet piece. Press forgings utilize the uninterrupted crystalline structure of the alloy for ultimate strength.

Forgeline is also unique in offering hardened wheel halves, not the standard soft basic spun aluminum type.

The 18" Forgeline wheels are genuine racing wheels suitable for street use.

19" and 20" styles can be seen here:
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/forgeline/

Optional finishes include silver, black, polished, chromed, or any custom color with polished lip.

Click pics for each design's widths and prices...

18" wheel types:

ZX3R:

SX3R:

WC3:

RS3:

SX3:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts