BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys figured it was best to start a new thread detailing the build of the lightweight plenum.

Project Goals
- Increased volume in the velocity stack chamber (resonance properties unchanged)
- Maintain variable resonance function
- Reduction in thermal conductivity thru composite construction
- Reduced mass ~60%, OEM plenum weighs ~15lbs
- Bolt on E34 M5 and E30 swapped cars
- Increased acoustics
- Smoother interior transitions
- Aesthetically pleasing

So a few teaser pics :)

So I think its time to start releasing a few teasers for you guys interested in the NA plenum.

Plenum_Cut_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

Velocity_Stack_OEM_B38_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

Naturally_Aspirated_Plenum_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

-Greg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Greg,

Thanks for the run down. Sounds like a good list. If possible don't forget the e24/e28 M88/S38 engined cars. I'd be more than happy to help out with proto fitup and whatnot if it'd help.

Question about the first picture, in the top left it looks like you have sectioned an S38B36 plenum. Is that correct? In the bottom right, what is that part? It looks like it bolts on to something versus being a section cut. Does the end of the e34 plenum bolt on or off?

Thanks again,

Eric

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg,

Thanks for the run down. Sounds like a good list. If possible don't forget the e24/e28 M88/S38 engined cars. I'd be more than happy to help out with proto fitup and whatnot if it'd help.

Question about the first picture, in the top left it looks like you have sectioned an S38B36 plenum. Is that correct? In the bottom right, what is that part? It looks like it bolts on to something versus being a section cut. Does the end of the e34 plenum bolt on or off?

Thanks again,

Eric
The picture in the top left is showing the end the plenum cut off in particular along cylinder 1. Not sure how familiar you are with the S38B36/8 plenums but they're divided into two sections at the 2/3 point with cylinders 5 and 6 being a separate casting from cylinders 1-4 and they're bolted together.

No problem, enjoying the questions!

Greg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Greg,

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I'm not that familiar with the later plenums, just my M88 one. The bolt on part of the later plenum is a nice feature. It allows you to get inside and more easily clean out the inside after 20 years of buildup.

Do you have a rough target date for completion?

Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello Greg can this be use for a turbo setup or is there any plans in doing one for a turbo with and intercooler incorporated?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Greg,

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I'm not that familiar with the later plenums, just my M88 one. The bolt on part of the later plenum is a nice feature. It allows you to get inside and more easily clean out the inside after 20 years of buildup.

Do you have a rough target date for completion?

Eric
I've had a rough prototype done since early January, I'm now refining fitment and flow characteristics. Hoping to have production quality units done by the fall at the latest but we'll see how it goes.

Hello Greg can this be use for a turbo setup or is there any plans in doing one for a turbo with and intercooler incorporated?
This unit wasn't designed for a turbo setup but if you've had a chance to look at my build I have a unit I've been working on that is an intercooled plenum for my turbo build. I need to update that actually, it uses five laminova intercooler cores and F10 M5 circulation pumps. Here are some old pics, I've since changed a few design aspects and a couple other things to make it easier to build and assemble/disassemble.

Printed end caps for the intercooler cores to test assembly.

End_Cap_Titan_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

End_Cap_Titan_2 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

Old design before reducing number of cores to 4 from 5 but gives you an idea of the layout. New design should support 600hp comfortably.

Hidden_Edge_IC_Plenum_Hidden by 93FIM5, on Flickr

F10 M5 pump.

IC_HeX_Pump_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

I'll update my build thread with the new design.

Nice work Greg

Do you do this professionally during your working day also ?
Thanks hopefully a few of you guys will like it!

Engineering and design yes, for BMW not yet haha.

Can I place and order now?
Haha not quite yet but I am going to do a limited production run.

Thanks guys, I'll get more teasers up later today!

-Greg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello Greg I did look through you built tread and can only say AMAZING work and attention to detail. I would be very interested in one of your turbo peplum please keep me posted on the progress.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts

This is really good engineering , simple, compact and good ideas when looked at from every aspect.

You may want to put a drain plug under the intercooler to be able to check for leaks (from 35 years of being a mechanical cynic)

It looks very professional , keep up the good work.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hello Greg I did look through you built tread and can only say AMAZING work and attention to detail. I would be very interested in one of your turbo peplum please keep me posted on the progress.
Got your PM and will get in touch with you when I'm back from vacation.

This is really good engineering , simple, compact and good ideas when looked at from every aspect.

You may want to put a drain plug under the intercooler to be able to check for leaks (from 35 years of being a mechanical cynic)

It looks very professional , keep up the good work.
Thanks I appreciate the compliments!

I need to get pictures of the updated unit but I keep forgetting ouich! Anyways the most recent unit shows the updated core layout a bit better and the air input from the compressor which is on the bottom of the unit. So any leaking water actually will end up filling charge piping . . . Luckily I do have a level switch for the intercooler reservoir which should let me know if I get a drop that could cause issues. Still a drain plug on the charge input distribution would be a nice feature in case a core ruptures in some manner. The cores are fairly safe in the fact that they're extrusions and the main point of failure would be at the oring connection on the end plates which would more than likely cause an external leak.

On the lightweight plenum project I'm currently looking for some easily sourced needle bearings for the resonance flap but havent had much luck. Again for any of you who can make the Drive 4 Corners BMW Meet event I will have a prototype for you to take a look at!

I'll be gone all next week for vacation so updates will be sparse.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Really looking forward to the end result and getting my hands on one - great work :D

Are you going CF as per your original plan or some other composite?

Kind regards,

Lantz

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The CAD is pretty, but have you performed any CFD to analyze the flow?
Thanks, I fancy myself as quite the cartoonist :) . As far as fluid dynamics I haven't ran any on the NA plenum since dimensionally and design wise it's nothing more than a reproduction of the OEM unit down to the resonance chamber dimensions and bell mouth. The few differences with the OEM unit are a marginal increase in volume in the upper portion where the velocity stacks reside and a few tweaks where compromises were made due to the original units being cast. I would be happy to do some CFD work if people are interested and want to try and improve upon the OEM flow or potentially add a second resonance chamber, gets me all excited lovelove.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
20 Participants
93FIM5
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing