BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed a ltw flywheel over the weekend. probably one of the best performance mods i've done to date but holy freakin noise! lol. its not even a super light one either, weighs about 15lbs. i couldn't imagine what one of those sub 10lb ones sound like. anyway i changed the tranny fluid at the same time per uuc's recommendation except i couldn't find redline 75w140ns so i used 1qt amsoil 75w140 and topped it off with the fluid i previously had in there which i recently changed instead of the d4atf as i figured this would be heavier, either mtflt2 or rp synchromax, can't remember. with the a/c off if i bring the idle up a bit it pretty much goes away, but with the ac on even at 1k rpm its still there. i have a modified sw file on the way with the idle bumped up so that will help a bit with the loads off. has anyone had any luck with any other fluid combinations etc to reduce the noise?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Chatter comes from the FW, it does not matter what fluid you have in the transmission. You are no stranger to the forum and know that LWFW is a gamble when it comes to chatter, some have it and others don't

Reactions: twiggym5 and rao

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true but i am a stranger to ltw flywheels. the fluid in the tranny most certainly makes a difference as the chatter doesn't start till the box warms up.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
It will always chatter, don't bother with fluids. Mine made a sufferance only on colder days.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Reactions: twiggym5

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i hear ya bro, didn't mean to come off harsh. anyway im just looking for some input from people who have these flywheels and have reduced the noise. i know you can never get rid of it completely once you drop so much weight off the flywheel.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
i hear ya bro, didn't mean to come off harsh. anyway im just looking for some input from people who have these flywheels and have reduced the noise. i know you can never get rid of it completely once you drop so much weight off the flywheel.

No offence taken, I have a Dinan LWFL --> 0 noise

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
A 15lbs flywheel? You do know that the OEM one weighs like 50lbs and change, and that the lightened OEM flywheels like Dinan and CNS only shed about 7-10lbs off to increase response but not any more to add noise. All aluminum flywheels will chatter. I would do as others have said and try increasing your idle RPM to 800. It seems to help a lot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On my E36...I made sure to get a sprung-hub clutch with my 14.5 lbs chromoly flywheel. Didn't even mess with the fluids and I haven't heard any chatter after putting about 2,000 miles on it.

I have heard for folks that do have issues w/ chatter that using UUC's special mixture of fluids does bring good results. It's probably the only option you have short of trying different clutch/flywheel combinations.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
On my E36...I made sure to get a sprung-hub clutch with my 14.5 lbs chromoly flywheel. Didn't even mess with the fluids and I haven't heard any chatter after putting about 2,000 miles on it.

I have heard for folks that do have issues w/ chatter that using UUC's special mixture of fluids does bring good results. It's probably the only option you have short of trying different clutch/flywheel combinations.

Sorry, but i don't think a lot of owners have a unlimited clutch fund to keep throwing $ at different combinations, especially if the car is N/A. There is plenty of info on this board that discusses what works and what does not work and what few think works

Its ultimately up the the buyer if they want to take a gamble on a product and buy a clutch kit -->
1. No one knows about
2. Hoping that the clutch kit they've chosen and their experience is better than everyone else
3. :typing: and :deal: this board for a concrete information

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have a sprung hub disc in there at the moment but its junk. its a spec ceramic disc and while it has springs they are so small and rigid that im sure they do nothing to provide any damping effect. i have a good sprung hub disc on the way from south bend and am in the process of ordering a new friction surface for the flywheel from dinan. gonna pull the box out next weekend and replace the parts, maybe i'll get the fluids from uuc also. i did have the idle bumped which helped a bit.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in the future i may do some research and find a good machine shop that can shave the stock one down. i swear i used to see single mass steel flywheels for sale for these cars but i cant find them now. that would be the best compromise imo, a good single mass steel flywheel that weighs like 25lbs. the prices they want for these ltw flywheels are just insane.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
in the future i may do some research and find a good machine shop that can shave the stock one down. i swear i used to see single mass steel flywheels for sale for these cars but i cant find them now. that would be the best compromise imo, a good single mass steel flywheel that weighs like 25lbs. the prices they want for these ltw flywheels are just insane.

Quality cost money...

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
If I am not mistaken 75w 140 is for the diff and 75w 90 is for the transmission, but reading post on this board it appears 75w 140 will work as well.

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats what uuc recommends, 1qt 75w140 topped off with d4atf or mt90 for hotter climates. the 75w140 doesn't have the friction modifiers.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts