BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the evenings and mornings grow ever darker, I find myself sensibly using my lights. However, I have left them on at least 3 times recently, not spotting the "lights on?" warning on the display, as I get out.

Is there a way to get a buzzer (usually assoicated with leaving your lights on when you open the door) or is that thing not suitable for an M5!?

Cheers

Steve
:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Steve

You should get a 'bong' from the Check control when you open the door if the lights are on. The bonger is above your feet in the drivers footwell trim, under the steering column.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AndyE said:
Steve

You should get a 'bong' from the Check control when you open the door if the lights are on. The bonger is above your feet in the drivers footwell trim, under the steering column.

I get no such noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My car is broke. :crying2:

Can it be turned on off??

·
Registered
373 Posts
There is a little device that is sold in Sweden that you can put into the circuit and it will switch your lights on when you start and off when you stop the engine. You can override it during the summer if you don't want to have "running lights" on by simply putting the switch to the 0 position.
I'm told that it is quite simple to install.
I'm sorry but I don't have the spare part number. Maybe someone else knows?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
ilundber said:
There is a little device that is sold in Sweden that you can put into the circuit and it will switch your lights on when you start and off when you stop the engine. You can override it during the summer if you don't want to have "running lights" on by simply putting the switch to the 0 position.
I'm told that it is quite simple to install.
I'm sorry but I don't have the spare part number. Maybe someone else knows?
-
[email protected] that 'little device' is the 'tageslichtschaltung' or 'daylight-switch/relay', I was told, that 'little device' costs as much as €150 and I hv
decided I can live without it, but I do get the 'aircraft-seatbealts-on 'bong' + the 'ights on' display message whenever I forget to switch the lights off as soon as I open the driver's door :byebye:

·
Registered
426 Posts
AndyE said:
Steve

BMW once knocked my `bong` out when forgetting to reconnect it after replacing the micro filter.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just as a teaser....
On a Swedish site you can find out how to build your own 'tageslichtschaltung' or 'daylight-switch/relay'. However, the instructions are in Swedish. It involves taking the swich out, open it, file a little at three places and then assembling it again. Then you solder a diod from the +12 volt feed over to the other cabls. It's all on your own risk!!
The link is www.autopower.se
On the left hand side you click on "Gör-det-själv" and then on "Mekartips".
Then you scroll down to "Halvljusautomatik". It's just below the middle.
ALL, you now need to do is getting the text translated. :hihihi:
If I find the time, I can give it a try...

·
Registered
757 Posts
The easiest thing would be to get the "gong" working again, as it also "gongs" for other errors/faults, Low Screen Wash, failed lights, Temp waring etc, etc...

You can't beat, tearing along a private road, doing 3 figures, when sudenly you get a "gong", just to tell you that your screen wash is low, best speed deterrent I know off :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Steve

The little speaker bonger thingy is black with little round holes. It looks like a small speaker and is clipped into the trim from the back.

If you remove the trim (easy enough, just a few screws) you can check if it's plugged in. If it is, you could test it with 12v+ to see if it bongs.

I can point it out to you tomorrow night...

Cheers!
Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts