BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got my first m5(2002) not to long ago. Previous owner had put different headlights in it my guess ebay. And also ddm hids. Well the hids were blown when I got the car. Then I noticed that the lights would flicker when cold, and then one day when my wife was driving it the locks/center interior lights quit working. So I just got a used gm3 module and it has fixed those issues but now the lights flicker all the time. The angel eyes, High beams, and interior dash lights that come on when lights are on all flicker. Also the radio will cut out when they flicker. So is my lcm bad... I had the battery tested not to long ago and it tested fine. I have searched forums but wanted everyone's opinion.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Measure the voltage at your battery (or the posts under the hood) with the car running and a high electrical load. It should be about 14v (or higher) and very steady. I had a similar problem and my battery tested good. It ended up being a bad battery after all, despite the parts store test results

Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
What about the ignition switch? These can cause all sorts of crazy faults. Do the steering wheel buttons still work? Does the airbag light come on dim when you use the vanity mirror illumination? Normal means the ignition switch is toast.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the hids were to blame. I had the wires sticking inside the low beam projector since the bulbs were both burnt out. I removed them and tucked them elsewhere and the flickering stopped. I don't know if somehow they were making contact or if my car was moody. Let's hope it doesn't come back though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts