BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
eventually this is probably the route im going to go with my final flywheel setup. unless i go for the 280mm 850 setup. anyway we know it is possible as dinan does it. i refuse to pay $1500 extra bucks for a stock flywheel thats shaved down a bit. there has to be a machine shop that does or is willing to try and cut down one of these. i've tried a couple and they all said their issue is they cant hold it down correctly to shave it. so who out there is capable, has to be someone who is up to the challenge.

·
Registered
632 Posts
eventually this is probably the route im going to go with my final flywheel setup. unless i go for the 280mm 850 setup. anyway we know it is possible as dinan does it. i refuse to pay $1500 extra bucks for a stock flywheel thats shaved down a bit. there has to be a machine shop that does or is willing to try and cut down one of these. i've tried a couple and they all said their issue is they cant hold it down correctly to shave it. so who out there is capable, has to be someone who is up to the challenge.

Can't give you a recommendation on who can shave down the OEM flywheel but the solid flywheel setup of the 850 will produce grear rattle when applied to our cars. Essentially it will sound like a tractor. I would stay away from it.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a dinan old style ltw non dual mass flywheel. i was able to eliminate about 90% of the noise at idle, thats not an issue. the issue is the rattle when you pull out i first or on lower rpm shifts into second.

from talking to the one machine shop they told me the issue with cutting the dmf is not being able to hold it down correctly on the milling machine to do it. now as we all know dinan does it so it is possible. idk if the do it in house or send them out but they do it. i wonder if its possible to disassemble the flywheel? if you could take it apart then the outer face could easily be machined.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your best shot would be to take it to a performance boat shop -- those guys usually have the tooling and ability to lighten flywheels. Call around and ask, the guy I took mine to did it for $100 but when he clamped it in one of the crank sensor teeth got bent a bit so I had to straighten it out. Absolutely no problems in over 2,500 miles.

·
Registered
638 Posts
What the machine shops are trying to tell you is that the job is not worth their time. Fixturing a flywheel for lightening is not anything new and most certainly not rock surgery.
One of the machine shops I use does this very thing (big block flywheels). They have machined a hub, similar to that on the crankshaft, onto which the flywheel is bolted. The hub and flywheel assembly is then placed on a rotary table mounted on the mill. From fixturing to completing one flywheel, it takes ~ 20 minutes.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Sometimes shortcuts cost you double... Food for thought..

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
is stock fw too heavy for what you do?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What the machine shops are trying to tell you is that the job is not worth their time. Fixturing a flywheel for lightening is not anything new and most certainly not rock surgery.
One of the machine shops I use does this very thing (big block flywheels). They have machined a hub, similar to that on the crankshaft, onto which the flywheel is bolted. The hub and flywheel assembly is then placed on a rotary table mounted on the mill. From fixturing to completing one flywheel, it takes ~ 20 minutes.
and are these dual mass or single mass. and not machining the surface, lightening.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
raised the idle to about 900rpms and changed the tranny fluid to a heavier weight. don't remember exactly what i used, think i used 75w190 and redline mtl.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
raised the idle to about 900rpms and changed the tranny fluid to a heavier weight. don't remember exactly what i used, think i used 75w190 and redline mtl.
I used the same fluid combo but when it was hot it still made a noise and cold weather it was hard to shift. I did not raise the RPM however.

Mine is v12 RE kit with super light FW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts