BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some might know that i have managed to trim 266 lbs off the beast and i have noticed it lately being very bumpy with already quiet rough H&Rs. The shocks rebound alot quicker now which makes the ride quiet rough..

The wifey used to like the M5 and actually just started to get the hang of the SMG when she drives it once in a blue moon but the other day she showed displeasure of its rough ride. Im not sure where to go from here but maybe the solotion is coilovers?

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And there is also the light weight battery which is another 50 lbs yet i worry that it could be a risk and might not be able to fire the beast one day.

More diet can come from carbon fiber roof and trunk and that could be the end of the list.

Any suggestions on how to takle my intial problem? :confused:

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Have you recently had new tyres? I'm sure you have checked already but the first thing I would check is the tyre pressures. I had 4 new tyres put on last week and the car just didn't feel right on the motorway, harsh ride, rough over the bumps even in comfort EDC. In fact the comfort EDC setting felt like Sport EDC and Sport EDC was just too much!

I stopped at the motorway services and checked the pressures, the tyre place had set my tyre pressures 5 psi higher than I'm used to. After letting air out all was back to normal.

Tyre pressures might be a long shot, in reality it is more likely the problem is caused by the M5 weight loss and H&R. Try adding some ballast (a couple of bags of sand, etc) to bring the car back to it's original OEM weight and see if the problem disappears.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Its the M6 issue.

Switch to Hartge springs and all will be fine.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No to be honest, i didnt change or look at my tires lately. I normally look at how much thread is left cuz recently i have gotten wheel spin more than usual thanks to the mods. ouich

Cosmos,
how are you sure thats the solution may i ask?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Its the M6 issue.

Switch to Hartge springs and all will be fine.

Hey cosmos, im concerned about whay you said, what do u mean its the M6 issue ?? i think im having a problem of too much wheel spin since my H&R springs arnt absorbing the vibration when the car is under full throttle. Is that what you mean ??

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I mean its the M6 issue in respect that it appears that the spring rates for the M6 dont work very well. It has been surmised (with no factual support) that perhapse it is because the M6 weighs in less than the M5, the springs do not work well.

So since you have taken out lots of weight, you now have a bumpy ride...hence the M6 issue.

I would try a set of Hartge springs.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. Know where and how much they sell for ?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I mean its the M6 issue in respect that it appears that the spring rates for the M6 dont work very well. It has been surmised (with no factual support) that perhapse it is because the M6 weighs in less than the M5, the springs do not work well.

So since you have taken out lots of weight, you now have a bumpy ride...hence the M6 issue.

I would try a set of Hartge springs.
I have to agree with you - this explanation makes the most sense to me. Also, I've noticed that the ride with the H&R springs actually improves with increased weight. When I have 4 or 5 people in the car, the ride is better than with just me.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Full tank of gas M5 rides better as well.

I am thinking of changing out the H&R to Hartge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts