BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I went to visit my engineers today to discuss some flywheels that they are making and discovered that the first 3 cars to finish in the Rally of Sweden , Fiesta WRC cars , were all fitted with their flywheels , so I suspect that they have an idea what they are doing :

Live « Rally Sweden

·
Registered
483 Posts
I went to visit my engineers today to discuss some flywheels that they are making and discovered that the first 3 cars to finish in the Rally of Sweden , Fiesta WRC cars , were all fitted with their flywheels , so I suspect that they have an idea what they are doing :

Live « Rally Sweden
Excellent...is mine ready yet? Have the cash ready ;)

On another note...Seb L had a shocker!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi Bryan ,

I removed the exhaust , prop , gearbox , clutch and dual mass flywheel and offered up the new flywheel , only to discover that I only had 3.8 flywheel bolts on hand which are obviously too long :...

D
D, if someone was to have the 2.8kg flywheel ready (bolts not needed) is this all the wrenching that would need done? How many hours would this take a 'joe bloggs' mechanic to do, in your opinion?

GD

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Hi Gary ,

8 hours would be ample time for a competent mechanic to remove your existing flywheel and fit the 2.8kg variant with race clutch or the 4.5 kg with the 3.6 clutch and cover . Book time is appx 5 hours iirc .

D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am having my flywheel resurfaced due to a few hot spots here and there. Someone swapping his clutch out on the e39 M5 on this board suggested just sanding down hotspots. This seems like a terrible idea, is it? I ask because I currently cannot get ANY of the flywheel bolts to budge, even with an impact gun. Any tips for getting the b36 flywheel bolts off or shall I just leave it be and hope the clutch doesn't mind the extremely light surface inconsistencies?

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I received a heartening email from one of our Netherlands based customers who has removed his stock 3.6 smf and fitted our 4.5kg Chrome Moly Billet variant , prior to reducing his previous best lap time of 2min 07 secs to 2mins 05 secs ........

Perhaps there are other contributing factors , although our customer was really happy with the performance increase and has commented that he believes the fitment of the new flywheel has improved his times .

I hope that he doesn't mind me posting the video link that he sent me :

Vrij rijden cpz zandvoort 12-11-2011 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLsOtRS_UE

Meanwhile , I still have the same flywheel fitted to my 3.8 and things are running swimmingly well !

D

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Hi Bryan ,

Did you ever fit the lightened flywheel to your 3.8 ?

I still have the 4.5kg variant fitted and running well with 147t miles on her original engine .

D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any opinion on this?
Pure Performance -

Anyone changed the (front) harmonic ballancer on the s38b38 when they instaled a single mass flywheel?

And as a final question, if someone wishes piece of mind, how much does it cost to reballance the b38 for a single mass flywheel?
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I would think the b38 guys might be a little more confident as the 3.8 doesn't have a single pulley bolt. Possibly a weakness BMW saw in the b36 construction (?).

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
18 Participants
davidoli
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing