BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find the answer after searching for an hour or so. So, at the risk of asking a dumb question...

If I jack up the E39 M5 at one of the jacking points located near the wheel wells, how high can I raise the car without doing possible damage to the frame/chassis assuming that I only jack up one spot?

Said differently, if I jack up one corner of the car near it's correct jacking point, can I raise the car enough to take off the corresponding tire/wheel?

AND

If can I do the above safely or should I support the car on at least one jack stand? (I won't be working under the car).

Thanks for reading/answering.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Banned
386 Posts
x703jko said:
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find the answer after searching for an hour or so. So, at the risk of asking a dumb question...

If I jack up the E39 M5 at one of the jacking points located near the wheel wells, how high can I raise the car without doing possible damage to the frame/chassis assuming that I only jack up one spot?

Said differently, if I jack up one corner of the car near it's correct jacking point, can I raise the car enough to take off the corresponding tire/wheel?

AND

If can I do the above safely or should I support the car on at least one jack stand? (I won't be working under the car).

Thanks for reading/answering.

yes you can raise enough to take out the tire.... I've lifted the car to all the jack gave.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not sure? However, if anyone else chimes in I'd be interested in knowing how safe it is to put the entire car on jack stands...I'm getting my wheels powder-coated as an Xmas gift to myself :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem...Take a look at this picture from the Discovery Automotive website of another member's M5:

Might be good to use this wood block approach. It keeps the car lower to the ground (read: safer), and eliminates the need to have four jack stands...

For what it's worth, when I jack up the car far enough to remove a rear wheel, the front wheel on the same side is off or nearly off the floor.

:cheers:

·
10,455 Posts
I've used a jack at the front side jack pad (behind the wheel) and lifted the car high enough to get the whole side off the ground several times. No windows have burst out, so i suppose the body is not flexing much :hihi: .

Typically, i'll slip a jack stand in front of the rear wheel, once high enough, then lower the car a bit and put one in behind the jack, for the front. I usually leave the jack in too. This is handy when you're swapping tires, to get a whole side of the car off the ground.
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All:

Thanks for the good advice.

·
Registered
784 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Shouldn't be a problem...Take a look at this picture from the Discovery Automotive website of another member's M5:

Might be good to use this wood block approach. It keeps the car lower to the ground (read: safer), and eliminates the need to have four jack stands...

For what it's worth, when I jack up the car far enough to remove a rear wheel, the front wheel on the same side is off or nearly off the floor.

:cheers:
Looks as though we should consider blocks as a part of our product line. The futue sets will be painted.

But serously, we have several means to left a vehicle and then maintain a static position during various phases of he projects. Certainly the blocks work very well and remain safe. We also have hub stands, those that bolt to the hubs when the wheels are removed and then become a steel tripod of sorts, rarely do I use typical jack stands because of the lack of secure places to put them on these cars without the risk of damage..both to the car and the operator....however the question in this case had to do with lifting the car prior to this point. Be care with the OEM jacks and working around the car. They are as they appear....flimsy and if the car moves even slightly they can fail......emergency, yes, lift a single corner, yes, lift the side of the car so that both wheel on the same side can be removed ................. scarey. yes, I have seen...alright have done it but I am always aware that the jack can fail....they have on me so typically use a floor jack at the designated points and then all worries are gone.

Take care and "be safe" so we can all return to play another day.

Shadowman

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shadowman, I would never use an OEM jack to lift the car. I'm talking about something like an AC hydraulic jack like the DK13HLQ.

Another question for all who have the DK13HLQ...is the jack low profile enough to clear the front air dam so that I can use the front jacking point on the sub-frame? Keep in mind that the S2 is lowered by about 1 half inch.

·
Registered
784 Posts
x703jko said:
Shadowman, I would never use an OEM jack to lift the car. I'm talking about something like an AC hydraulic jack like the DK13HLQ.

Another question for all who have the DK13HLQ...is the jack low profile enough to clear the front air dam so that I can use the front jacking point on the sub-frame? Keep in mind that the S2 is lowered by about 1 half inch.

I am glad to hear that the OEM jack is not the ack of choice.

As for the specific modeljack you speak of....... I have enough trouble keeping up wiith the model #'s much less jack so without a better understanding I do not know.

If you use a quality jack with either a pad or an insert at the jacking point you should be fine.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shadowman said:
I am glad to hear that the OEM jack is not the ack of choice.

As for the specific modeljack you speak of....... I have enough trouble keeping up wiith the model #'s much less jack so without a better understanding I do not know.

If you use a quality jack with either a pad or an insert at the jacking point you should be fine.

Take care.

Shadowman
Thanks for the info. Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BlueBomber said:
Dumb question... where is the front jacking point?
I could be wrong, but I think it's the only part of the subframe that is below the plastic "apron" that covers the engine from below.

Others, please clarify.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts