BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Beast for a blast the other day and had a horrible thought whilst out running a VW Golf that I had not pushed the bonnet all the way down. It appeared to be flapping in the 'slipstream'.

Looked closely at it afterwards and it looks as though the mechanism on the drivers side is not engaging properly, hence the 'flapping'. Is it a dealer job or does anyone have any quick fix ideas to cure the problem?

Pip :confused2

B

·
0 Posts
Pip said:
Took the Beast for a blast the other day and had a horrible thought whilst out running a VW Golf that I had not pushed the bonnet all the way down. It appeared to be flapping in the 'slipstream'.

Looked closely at it afterwards and it looks as though the mechanism on the drivers side is not engaging properly, hence the 'flapping'. Is it a dealer job or does anyone have any quick fix ideas to cure the problem?

Pip :confused2
If the car is still under warranty, I would take it to the dealer. If not, you may want to compare the functioning side with the non-functioning side, to see if you notice anything not working properly, or not engaging with the locking mechanism.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I sorted the problem the 'male' part attached to the bonnet needed extending so that it sat deep enough in the recess on the body to engage.

What I do not understand is why it was never picked up before me. with the locking nut surely there is no way it could have changed its length and prevent it engaging.????

Pip

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello,

In cold weather the cable commanding the release of the bonnet may "stick" in the open position on either side once used** (you can see this by looking down the "female" part (next to the lights). Normally you should see a curved metal wire at about a quarter of the diameter. If you don't see it, it's stuck, just use a screwdriver and pull it towards the center of the hole.

** or it is piched between the body work and teh front left light assembly.

Hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts