BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, driving home from work on the highway, BING:1zhelp:

Tyre Defect alarm comes up.
So I pull over about a km up the road, place where it is save to do so.
Tue enough rear tyre is already half flat. Now I'm only 8km from home, so dont want to use my mobility tyre sludge canister (these things are about $90 a pop).

I pumps the tyre with the compressor, drove a few km, repeated this process till I got home. Turns out the tyre was cut badly enough to require replacing.

Now what if this happens, middle of no where, in the early hours of the morning and you and the family are stranded in a less than desireable part of the world.

Any tyre damage bigger than a small hole is not going to be repaired by the BMW mobility kit.

So I bought this:

Open up the custom bag and you have a space saver tyre, BMW car jack, wheel spanner and wheel chock

not cheap, set me back around $350 at the BMW dealer, but hell one puncture and its paid for itself :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Great!

Have you test fitted this spare tire if it clears the front brakes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great!

Have you test fitted this spare tire if it clears the front brakes?

Thanks.
hmmm

good point, I did see in the brochure it works on the current range of 3, 5 and 6 series. I'm going to test it first thing this weekend and will let you guys know

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
As luck would have it, the invoice is right here in front of me.

Emergency wheel - B 36 11 0 308 889
Space saver carrier bag - B 36 13 0 442 676
Hmm, parts not showing up in realoem. Anyone has access to the dealer parts base?
36 is definitely the "wheels" grouping.
Tire size?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tyre size is 135/80 R17.

Just taken a tape measure out and all indications look good that the space save rim will clear the front brake calliper.

However to be sure I'll do a proper fitting on Saturday morning

·
10,456 Posts
doesn't the e39 and e60 have different hub/bore diameters? If it's designed to fit the latest 5 series, i would think it would not work on the e39, but i hope i'm wrong. I like the bag though, wouldn't mind getting that for my extra front wheel/tire that i occasionally use for a spare.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
doesn't the e39 and e60 have different hub/bore diameters? If it's designed to fit the latest 5 series, i would think it would not work on the e39, but i hope i'm wrong. I like the bag though, wouldn't mind getting that for my extra front wheel/tire that i occasionally use for a spare.
thats exactly what i was thinking, however just by looks i think its too narrow.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:grrrr:

I think this is a show stopper.
M5 hub alignment ring is definitely bigger than the hole pressed into the space saver rim.

My "wonderful" kit is going back to BMW for a credit tomorrowgrrrrrrr.
I did ask them if it would fit my car - they didnt tell me it would be a problem

Dunno what to say:eek:
suppose better I discovered it now, than on a dark rainy night on the side of the road:1zhelp:

·
10,456 Posts

M5 hub alignment ring is definitely bigger than the hole pressed into the space saver rim.

I did ask them if it would fit my car - they didnt tell me it would be a problem

suppose better I discovered it now, than on a dark rainy night on the side of the road:1zhelp:
keep the bag and pick up a used front wheel. I wonder what the smallest tire size we could fit on there would be? maybe a light truck tire, somewhere around 205-225/60 or 50 series perhaps? (trying to conserve trunk space, the 245 eats up a lot of room)

·
Registered
12,890 Posts

Not surprising, most parts guys are not that sharp. He should have realized it was E60 for an E39.

If you could determine that the wheel would fit over the brakes (can't get it on so you have to measure and eyeball), any machine shop can drill out the center bore to make it 74.1. Of course once you do that, there is no return, so measure twice before cutting once!!!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bag is custom made for the 135 width space saver, wont take anything bigger.
Boring the centre out will also be a problem because one will have to cut through a centric folded rib that acts a strenthener to the rim

I feel like a right DOOS (translated from the AFRIKAANS language this means a less favourable decription of the female anatomy) . I really should have known better.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
question for Adam ...........

I just bought the ContiComfortKit from Tirerack to replace aged bmw mobility kit. Its about the same size and it is an impressive unit. If it is a massive hole that the kit won't fix...I call BMW roadside.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp
Hey Adam, Whats the difference between the unit you purchased from Tire Rack and BMW's OEM tire repair inflation goop sealer kit ? They are both air pumps with the goop canister which plugs into the cig lighter plug, so I cant see why I'd want this over BMW's flat tire reair air pump kit. Am I missing something? Thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Bag is custom made for the 135 width space saver, wont take anything bigger.
Boring the centre out will also be a problem because one will have to cut through a centric folded rib that acts a strenthener to the rim

I feel like a right DOOS (translated from the AFRIKAANS language this means a less favourable decription of the female anatomy) . I really should have known better.
Hey,
Kudo's for the attempt! Nothing ventured nothing gained eh?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts