BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I admit, as of last year I did not know anything about BMW's. So, My friend had a 2001 3.0 Z3 and I loved it. I found a 2000 Imola Red M Roadster and bought it. Then, another friend tells me about the M5 WOW!!!! I want one. So, I bought a 2000 Silver M5 with 51k on it.

Back to my point............... I will keep the M5 forever. However, what will I ever find that will replace it in the future???????

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
I don't think that the M5 is one of those cars that can be replaced. Complemented? Absolutely. With something lighter and much more nimble (and faster, perhaps, although not necessarily).

But even if you strip it down to what it really is (a family car with 100HP per door), there's a certain mystique about it that just can't be replaced.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diny,

Exactly, I love the car for everything it is. I don't want to drift it or track it. I just love driving this car like no other.

What other car gives this kind of experience?

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Diny,

Exactly, I love the car for everything it is. I don't want to drift it or track it. I just love driving this car like no other.

What other car gives this kind of experience?

The closest thing in terms of power, weight, and dynamics would have to be the Pontiac G8 GXP. It certainly doesn't have the pedigree of an M car, but it's far from shabby. It looks pretty badass, too. And, unlike the M5, you don't need to sell a kidney to make it go faster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The closest thing in terms of power, weight, and dynamics would have to be the Pontiac G8 GXP. It certainly doesn't have the pedigree of an M car, but it's far from shabby. It looks pretty badass, too. And, unlike the M5, you don't need to sell a kidney to make it go faster.

Yep, American, but badass................ i like it

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the CTS-V as that also comes in stick however it is quite the ugly duckling IMO. I also have a soft spot for the B7 RS4. Both the aforementioned are much newer and, right now, will cost considerably more than our M5's though in terms of initial purchase price.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You're correct; manufactured in Elizabeth, South Australia; some of the motors are allegedly built in Canada, others in Mexico, others in the US. You maybe seeing this car again, rebadged as a Chevy .....

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Back to my point............... I will keep the M5 forever. However, what will I ever find that will replace it in the future???????
er nothing I have found, so far to date, cost no object either (well up to £150,000 or so).

The closest so far, is a Maserati Quattraporte, but I will need to add forced induction to it, still researching this, and next closest is the Panamera Turbo (I do not care about looks) but heavily breathed on by tuners : 9ff or Switzer.....

So until there are some further elegant and tangible solutions for the best 4 door saloon car in the world, I will stick with my trusty E39 M5.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Try porsche 911, 996 or 997. I bet you will like it a lot :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
i agree that the Maserati Quattroprte is something special as well..the CTS-V is up there as well..that one's a looker for sure

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ive contemplated selling my M5, I actually went out and test drove some cars. Lets just say out of all the cars i drove, the only one id actually sell my E39 M5 for was a 02 996 turbo with the X50 package. I think i fell in love with that car the way I did the first time i drove my M5. Unfortunately, it was out of my price range, so im going to save pennies til i can get my hands on the exact one i want.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've lusted after the XJR before. I wouldn't compare it side by side with the M5 though, it's more of a style and comfort choice. I like the modern British interior treatment. They seem to be doing what the Germans forgot in that respect. I also drove an 01 740i sport which was really nice. Would be a great cruiser car for sure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Automatic transmission aside, the N63 twin-scroll turbo V8 in the 550i GT comes damn close. Had that car for a loaner for 4 days. Felt faster everywhere than the E39 M5. Getting back into the M5 after that - the M5 felt more visceral and alive, but slow and past its prime.:(:M5eyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.