BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LIDATEK L-30 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ATTACHED

Attached are the Lidatek installation instructions in a PDF file format. Since Teutonaddict (Dave) was so kind to send them to me, I thought I would share tem with a post.
Thanks again Dave for your help.
Now I have no excuse not to do the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: LIDATEK L-30 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ATTACHED

I just downloaded this instruction set and read it. Having done my install myself I can add a bit to this. My unit has successfully alerted me to every threat encountered to date.

A few things of note:

I would strongly suggest NOT mounting the transponder in the position behind the grillwork. It's too far back and severely restricts the view angle of the transponder. Use the tape provided, and mount it directly to the bumper as far forward as you can, no more than 1/2 inch from the front of the bumper. Its still very difficult to see that way.

Use two pieces of tape at the top front of the transponder and one at the rear to level it. Thats quite adequate and now the unit has a clear field of vision. I did not have to use the brackets at all for the mounting. Make sure all surfaces are clean and dry and the tape will hold just fine.

I chose to store the excess cabling in the front bumper. That way if its ever necessary to remove the front bumper you simply reach there and disconnect it. In the instructions it shows the cabling stored under the air filter. That might not make it so easy to remove the bumper without dealing with the wiring.

Dropping the bumper is not necessary.

Dont bother removing the dead pedal and side moulding. It's not necessary. In the engine bay remove the cabin air filter box. Under it you will see the rubber accordion boot, thats your penetration point for the transponder cable. Cut a 1/2 inch **** into it with an exacto knife and run the cable in.

Ground your unit to one of the clutch pedal bolts.

Velcro your control unit to the backside of the footwell plastic piece, and wire the unit as you see fit.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Pete said:
I just downloaded this instruction set and read it. Having done my install myself I can add a bit to this. My unit has successfully alerted me to every threat encountered to date.
Thanks for taking the time to refine the approach, Pete! With any luck, this is one task I'm going to undertake over the holidays. You're improvements make it seem less of a daunting task.

Time to get that LE-30 out of the box!

And Howler, thanks for posting the PDF. I didn't realize we could attach anything other than JPG's to the board, or else I'd have done that sooner. You learn something new every day you're not dead!

-Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts

Hello Teutonaddict,

I too was aprehensive about installing it myself. Then one day I just got at it. Once I finally got started, it went amazingly well. The most difficult part for me was working down in the footwell.

I learned real quick the single most important piece of equipment was a padded lawn chair cussion to kneel on. Even with it, my knees were protesting, not to mention my arms and neck from corkscrewing myself around to get that **** ground wire on that clutch bolt. Of course I'm 50, some younger more limber guys or gals will not find that as great an issue.

I would post some pics but my puter with the USB port has some sort of .dll file missing. Not being all that savy with that sort of computer stuff I cant download pics from my camera now.

Good luck and happy holidays

·
Registered
543 Posts

I used the bracket to mount mine below the front bumper. I've told people where I mounted it and sometimes I still have to point it out to them. Even if it is clearly visible, most people do not notice it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts