BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others on the board, I received my LE30 kit a while back. However, I didn't do the install right away because I didn't like the idea of using a toggle switch (no matter where it's mounted) as the kill switch. I also didn't want to put "random" holes on the dash or on any other interior surface.

So I waited until I could find a decent looking "automotive interior" grade switch that would match the interior of the E39 M5. I came up empty.

I then recalled that Beastpower had a nice switch/potentiometer arrangement for their V1 stealth install mirror that fits into the "blank" dash panel next to the foglight switch. So Daniel put me into contact with the guys that make the V1 stealth install for him.

The result is shown here. It uses the same wiring harness and LED that comes with the LE30 kit.

It works like a charm although, as some have suggested, the LED is very bright when it's at that location on the dash.

I don't have pics of the installed switch yet as I forgot to bring my camera with me when I visited BMW Towson today. But, I'll post pics next week.

Jeff :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Nice work, Jeff (and thanks, too, Daniel!)-

Thanks for posting this; it's a refined alternative much more suited to the M5.

....And it's a darn good post-hoc justification for all of us procrastinators out there....

Can you share any particulars on the switch that would allow us to acquire same?

Thanks!

-Dave

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teutonaddict said:
Nice work, Jeff (and thanks, too, Daniel!)-

Thanks for posting this; it's a refined alternative much more suited to the M5.

....And it's a darn good post-hoc justification for all of us procrastinators out there....

Can you share any particulars on the switch that would allow us to acquire same?

Thanks!

-Dave
Dave. The company recommended to me by Daniel is AIDesign (www.aidesign.com) in Tuckahoe, NY. I dealt with their president, Matt Figiola. They turned the stuff around in a week. All I did was send them the Lidatek switch wiring harness and LED.

Daniel can also shed some light.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
x703jko said:
Dave. The company recommended to me by Daniel is AIDesign (www.aidesign.com) in Tuckahoe, NY. I dealt with their president, Matt Figiola. They turned the stuff around in a week. All I did was send them the Lidatek switch wiring harness and LED.
Superb. Thanks, Jeff!

To prevent me from having to wait until Monday to find out, can you give me a sense for cost? PM me if you prefer.

TIA-
-Dave

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
That's a fine looking switch, very fitting. I guess I don't understand the need to have an on/off switch in the first place, especially in plain view:confused2

My LE30 toggle is way under the dash above my left knee and I have never used it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
ELEVENS said:
I guess I don't understand the need to have an on/off switch in the first place, especially in plain view:confused2

My LE30 toggle is way under the dash above my left knee and I have never used it.
Bill-

I guess the switch becomes important if you would choose to defeat the system. One circumstance might be you and the LIDAR-wielding revenue collector are the only two parties around, and your LE30 has given you its advanced warning, and you've 'checked' your speed to be legal. Having the LE30 re-set and continue to jam the LIDAR unit might be grounds for an unfriendly discussion with the revenue officer.

Being able to defeat the system once you've been adequately warned might help avoid such uncomfortable discussions. And the fairly unobtrusive nature of the switch the Jeff found, while in plain view, is not likely to be noticed by other than another anal E39 owner--and not Johnny Law!

But I digress. Big picture here: you've got your LE3O installed, and mine is sitting in a box on the shelf.... So elegant solution or otherwise is moot if I'm flyin' nekked!!

-Dave

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The switch looks great. I wonder though, if the same type of switch can be found in a 2-pole configuration. That way, you could power the LE30 w/ one source, and hook the led into the rest of the dash lights (which are able to be dimmed). Something like this:
<CENTER><TABLE BORDER=2 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1>
<TABLE BORDER=2 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1>
src-in dimmed-in
|        |
|        |
|        |
 \        \
|         |
|         |
|         LED bulb
to LE-30
</TABLE></CENTER>
</HTML>

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doug said:
The switch looks great. I wonder though, if the same type of switch can be found in a 2-pole configuration. That way, you could power the LE30 w/ one source, and hook the led into the rest of the dash lights (which are able to be dimmed). Something like this:
<CENTER><TABLE BORDER=2 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1>
<TABLE BORDER=2 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1>
src-in dimmed-in
|        |
|        |
|        |
 \        \
|         |
|         |
|         LED bulb
to LE-30
</TABLE></CENTER>
</HTML>
Doug. That would work if you can find a suitable switch that fits the interior of the E39. I'm sure such a switch exists, but you've got to locate the supplier. Jeff cherrsagai

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I have mine connected to my E-brake meaning that the ebrake "parking brake" indicator lights up when the LE-30 goes off.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
atomic80 said:
I have mine connected to my E-brake meaning that the ebrake "parking brake" indicator lights up when the LE-30 goes off.
Jason. Did you just splice onto the indicator wire? Jeff

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
x703jko said:
Jason. Did you just splice onto the indicator wire? Jeff
Yup, I sure did...when I start the car up. The parking brake light flashes... very stealthy.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atomic80 said:
Yup, I sure did...when I start the car up. The parking brake light flashes... very stealthy.
Cool. That should work fine. The output circuit from the BMW control module probably has open collector output. In all probability the output circuit in the Lidatek control is similar.

Where you might get into trouble is if both circuits try to fire simultaneously. But that shouldn't be a problem in this case especially if you never engage your parking brake.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
The LE-30 overrides the BMW control module so this isn't a problem....

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is a very clean, attractive solution for the LE30 LED/switch assy.
Do you send the "dummy" switch cover with the Lidatek harness & LED to the vendor?

x703jko said:
Like many others on the board, I received my LE30 kit a while back. However, I didn't do the install right away because I didn't like the idea of using a toggle switch (no matter where it's mounted) as the kill switch. I also didn't want to put "random" holes on the dash or on any other interior surface.

So I waited until I could find a decent looking "automotive interior" grade switch that would match the interior of the E39 M5. I came up empty.

I then recalled that Beastpower had a nice switch/potentiometer arrangement for their V1 stealth install mirror that fits into the "blank" dash panel next to the foglight switch. So Daniel put me into contact with the guys that make the V1 stealth install for him.

The result is shown here. It uses the same wiring harness and LED that comes with the LE30 kit.

It works like a charm although, as some have suggested, the LED is very bright when it's at that location on the dash.

I don't have pics of the installed switch yet as I forgot to bring my camera with me when I visited BMW Towson today. But, I'll post pics next week.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Jeff, I've yet to install my two LE-30's. I am wondering if the led on the switch is lit when the unit is powered up-- at least that's the way it looks. That had me thinking whether or not you could route the power from the audible alarm to the led. That way you'd have a visible indication when you were being lasered. Or is that how it works? My units are still in the box, and at this point in the year I probably won't install until Spring. :(

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
doug said:
Jeff, I've yet to install my two LE-30's. I am wondering if the led on the switch is lit when the unit is powered up-- at least that's the way it looks. That had me thinking whether or not you could route the power from the audible alarm to the led. That way you'd have a visible indication when you were being lasered. Or is that how it works? My units are still in the box, and at this point in the year I probably won't install until Spring. :(
If you set up the system as per the instructions from Lidatek, after startup the LED goes steady green. Once you are lasered, the LED changes to flashing red and the buzzer sounds a very loud alarm. So you get both a visual and an audible indication that you're under attack by laser.

Jeff

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
howler said:
Do you send the "dummy" switch cover with the Lidatek harness & LED to the vendor?
All I sent was the switch harness and LED from the LE30 kit. AIDesign supplied the dash panel and rotary control.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
x703jko said:
If you set up the system as per the instructions from Lidatek, after startup the LED goes steady green. Once you are lasered, the LED changes to flashing red and the buzzer sounds a very loud alarm. So you get both a visual and an audible indication that you're under attack by laser.

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I am looking forward to getting mine installed.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
doug said:
Thanks, Jeff. I am looking forward to getting mine installed.
I'll post pics of my install later this week. Jeff cherrsagai

1 - 19 of 19 Posts