BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the advice of many here, and the example of Anzir in particular (see this thread), I had my Lidatek LE-30 installed today. I thought you might like to see some photographs of the installation.

The auto stereo shop, which sells the K-40 Laser Diffuser, did a pretty good job. It cost me $210 for four hours labor. Here's the transponder mounted on the front bumper ahead of the lower grille.

And a closeup of the transponder. It doesn't appear to be level in these photos, but the technician made sure to use the bubble level included with the Lidatek unit.

Here is the green/red/yellow warning LED installed on the dash next to the fog light switch.

And the on/off microswitch installed just above the dead pedal, next to the trunk button where no one is likely to ever look. Pretty stealthy!

I tested the unit with an IR remote control and it worked fine. Now for the real test: a LIDAR trap! I can't wait . . . . :hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Mike,

While im about to pull the trigger on lidatek and the such, wanted to know what kind of shop installed the system for you? Most general audio shops that I know of do not do radar detector install work such as this...can you lead me to the light?

·
10,455 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Mike,

While im about to pull the trigger on lidatek and the such, wanted to know what kind of shop installed the system for you? Most general audio shops that I know of do not do radar detector install work such as this...can you lead me to the light?
Rob, this sounds like a no brainer.... Discovery... it's already apart!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Mike,

Rob: The trick is to find a car stereo shop that also carries a high-end line of radar detectors and laser diffusers, such as the K40. They will have installed many of these remote units, and this installation is similar to the Lidatek. I printed the Lidatek instructions (see below) and gave them to the shop's installer to augment the Lidatek manual that comes with the unit. You can also print the photos in this thread (or another) to illustrate what you want the finished job to look like. The key is to tell the installer exactly what you want, i.e., where to place the transponder, where to put the warning LED, where you want the microswitch, etc. Don't trust the shop to know what you want or how to do it!

In addition to the Lidatek installation instructions attached here, I found the advice by Pete in this thread very useful. For example, it really isn't necessary to drop the front bumper to install the transponder.

You can locate a shop that installs the K40 laser diffuser by using the dealer locator on their website.

Good luck, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Mike... two comments on your install...sorry, don't mean to offend, just offering comments.

First, why is the transducer installed in front of the grill. While it takes more time, the appearance is much neater and stealthier when installed behind the plastic grill. Second, from your photo, the transducer/transponder is not installed level. The installation package comes with a level. It should be parallel to the ground.

I installed my first Lidatek system with two transponders behind the grill and when the LE-30 came out, I did that installation myself without removing the front bumper. I actually fixed the transponder to the bottom of the license plate holder so it is flush with the bottom of the license plate. I wanted a front license plate for two reasons: First, it's required by law in my state and they will give you a ticket without it, and second, I wanted it to be there for the police to use as a laser target. It's worked very well. I got hit with laser three times within a two hour period on the way home from Columbus, OH and it saved me each time! Gotta love the Lidatek!

:cheers:

·
10,455 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the lidatek in the near future, and have done a little searching on the board. What I have read, is mounting it within or behind the grill would dramatically reduce the effectivness, it should be as close to the front of the bumper as possible. I'll likely install it myself, and would rather it be behind the grill, as some have done, i would rather it be a bit more stealthy, since they are not legal here!
another Mike

XrayMD said:
First, why is the transducer installed in front of the grill. While it takes more time, the appearance is much neater and stealthier when installed behind the plastic grill. Second, from your photo, the transducer/transponder is not installed level. The installation package comes with a level. It should be parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XrayMD said:
Mike... two comments on your install...sorry, don't mean to offend, just offering comments.

XrayMD: Thanks for your note. I felt it was important for the Lidatek transponder to have an unobstructed view ahead, especially since I'm only installing a single forward-facing unit. If the transponder can't see the laser gun, it won't be able to respond! Perhaps if you have twin forward transponders, you could mount them behind the front grille and get away with it. However, the grille is recessed about a foot behind the front bumper, and I was concerned that the bumper itself would obstruct the view of the transponder. In any case, it's surprisingly difficult to see the transponder from any distance, even when it's mounted forward of the grille. You have to crouch down and really look for it to pick it out.

The photographs I posted were taken with the car in my driveway, which is on a slope. The idea is to get the Lidatek transponder level with the ground, not the bumper of the car. That's why it looks as though it isn't level, but actually is when you measure it with the bubble level that came with the Lidatek package.

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
mottati said:
I'm thinking about getting the lidatek in the near future, and have done a little searching on the board. What I have read, is mounting it within or behind the grill would dramatically reduce the effectivness, it should be as close to the front of the bumper as possible. I'll likely install it myself, and would rather it be behind the grill, as some have done, i would rather it be a bit more stealthy, since they are not legal here!
another Mike
Since there have been several references to the legality of laser countermeasures in California, I thought it might be useful if I looked up the relevant section of the California Vehicle Code.

Division 12, Chapter 5, Article 17, Section 28150 deals with "Jamming: Electronic Speed Measuring Devices". Here's what the law says, in part:

(a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects. <!-- #EndEditable --><!-- #BeginEditable "addl_section_content" -->

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

You can read the entire relevant section of the Vehicle Code here.

It would appear that California law prohibits the use of not only the Lidatek, but any similar device intended to interfere with electronic speed measuring equipment. You'll note that it's also illegal to sell such devices in the state.

Notwithstanding the law, most if not all of the auto stereo shops in my area sell the K40 laser diffuser! In fact, I know of no instance where this particular provision of the Vehicle Code has actually been enforced. Anyone else?

Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Two comments:

Why not place the bulk of it behind the grill and create a small opening in the mesh to allow the 'business end' to have an unobstructed view?

Did they use stainless steel hardware or just plain steel? (I always used stainless for exterior applications.)

If it was behind the grill but peeking out, all that mounting HW is hidden- although I will admit that it is so low, who can see it?

Nice. I'm doing a V1 first...and soon.

A

PS Thanks for the snip from the vehicle code... interesting

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ard said:
Two comments:

Why not place the bulk of it behind the grill and create a small opening in the mesh to allow the 'business end' to have an unobstructed view?

Did they use stainless steel hardware or just plain steel? (I always used stainless for exterior applications.)

If it was behind the grill but peeking out, all that mounting HW is hidden- although I will admit that it is so low, who can see it?
Ard: Good points. I didn't want to cut into my grille, but you certainly could do that. I also wanted my unit mounted so that the front of the transponder was flush with the front bumper rather than recessed as far back as the grille. My sense is that if you're going to mount only a single forward transponder, you probably need as unobstructed a view as possible for maximum effectiveness.

Even if you mount the transponder just under the front bumper, forward of the grille, it's difficult to see at any distance. Take a look at Anzir's installation (identical to mine) for example. The transponder is nearly invisible:

You can just make out the transponder peeking out from under the bumper in this photo:

And from this distance, there's no way anyone would notice the transponder:

Stealth installation is important, especially where such devices are unlawful, but if you're stopped and the authorities really want to find the Lidatek, they're probably going to discover it anyway, wherever the transponder is mounted.

Stainless steel mounting hardware sounds like an excellent idea. I'm not sure whether Lidatek supplies stainless mounting brackets, bolts, and nuts with the unit, but I don't think so. Substituting stainless hardware might be an excellent way to prevent corrosion.

Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hey Mike-

That Anzir sure has good taste in color... :)

Noticed no front plate (is that correct?)... any plans for dealing with that? We're both in CA. I hate the ida of messing up the front with one. I keep the temp paper tag on the front window to appease the casual law enforcement glance.

I do agree it is virtually invisible from most observers angles. I'll need to think a bit more about diffraction in and out of the sensor and potential interference if it is under and back from the front of the bumper too much.

A

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ard said:
Hey Mike-

Noticed no front plate (is that correct?)... any plans for dealing with that? We're both in CA. I hate the ida of messing up the front with one. I keep the temp paper tag on the front window to appease the casual law enforcement glance.

A
Ard: My car came from a state where front license plates are not required. You're right, to mount one (as required in California) would be a PITA, and might even require a new front bumper. I see a lot of cars here that don't have front plates, so I've concluded it isn't a big deal. I suspect if you're stopped for some other infraction, they might also cite you for not having a front plate.

Has anyone ever been cited for this in California?

Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Do a search on 'front license plate'...

Mine had the bracket in the trunk- the original owner didn't want it on, but kindly kept it.

I am hoping it will be a 'ifx it' ticket... we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I live in a pretty rural area, so I don't think it is a major focus of law enforcement.

I've heard that if you drive into LAX without a front plate you WILL get a ticket. In the cities they want plates to be able to use photo- both security and photo-red lights

A

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mike,

I picked up the K-40. The detector heads are a bit big. To hide them I took the front bumper off and just off center I cut a window thru the aluminum part of the bumper. I made a 'L' bracket to mount the head. Now the head is completely hidden behind the plastic bumper which has no effect on detecting. The rear was a similar install but it just looks 'thru' the plastic fresca at the bottom of the trunk lid opening. Nothing is seen from the out side!!!!

Good luck with your install. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
ard said:
Hey Mike-

A
That's not sarcasm in your tone, is it? :haha2:

In terms of the install, I can say I had the same exact concerns as everyone else, but my installer REFUSED to install it anywhere else, especially because it was only one transponder, because of what he said would be a significant decrease in field. Since I bought the unit for counter-measures, I couldn't argue with him. Now that I've had it installed for a few months, I can say that I only notice the unit sometimes because I am looking for it. I have had ZERO comments from people who don't know to specifically look for it. They really don't notice it... especially with the dark grill in the air dam.

In terms of the angulation of the mount, I also had the same exact concern. I actually wanted to mount the unit using the adhesive tape directly to air dam instead of using the bracket, (once again, for more stealth) but my installer showed me that it was NOT EVEN CLOSE to being level without the use of the bracket. Since Lidatek was adamant about it being level, he used the bracket. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nice install, Mike!! :M5thumbs:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts