BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local car audio install shop and got the LE-30 installed and had them throw in the V1 to hardwire it. Overall they did a fantastic job, and anyone in the Gainesville area should give them a try. They definitely know what they are doing, and have quite reasonable prices.. my install came to $100.

Perfect spot for the LED...

Switch mounted pretty far back..

Standard V1 hardwired mounting

Wires tied together following perimeter of engine bay

Wires entering the firewall

Wires followed the rear of the headlights towards the front air dam

Mounted position

Other views

I originally envisioned the LE-30 sitting directly underneath the upper portion of the front air dam, but the installer told me that to have it perfectly parallel with the road surface, this position was the best.

Far shot from the front shows that you really can't see it too much.. sorry about the dingy wheels... going to wash it when it stops raining around here..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the play-by-play on the install Anzir. Looks like a very nice job. What type of installer did you use? An alarm/stereo shop? Just curious. Also, where did you purchase your LE-30?

Keep on jammin'...:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was a audio/alarm/performance place called Sound Depot and Performance. I missed out on the M5board group buy but I was able to get on the Audiworld group buy, thanks to the help of some of the people on this board.

I'm waiting for my first real-life test. The green LED means everything should be operational, but I would definitely like a test. Tried out a few remote controls but it didn't flinch. Need to find myself a Palm Pilot...

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
LED placement

Looking good, Anzar. Now go search for some lazer speed traps for entertainment value... :1:

The placement of your LED is how I did it, too, which makes for an inexpensive un-install. Have you noticed that the steering wheel obstructs your view of the LED?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elevens: Yes, it does get obstructed sometimes by the steering wheel. It seems that steering wheel position always obstructs something.. my harmony is to have a clear view of the gauges and let the odometer etc. be covered.. the Lidatek LED is bright enough that it does catch my eye any time I have a clear view of it.

The one thing the pictures hide is what I believe was the best investment and the first mod I put on the car, the clear bra. I also had headlight covers thrown on as well, and both have protected the front end and side mirrors from countless attacks, mainly the love-bugs we have here in Florida. If you take a close look at the "profile" pic you can see it.. the one thing I have noticed is the edges seem to be pulling away a little, as you can see in the pic with the wire going from the headlights to the air dam.. but still looks great after 4 years of use!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Anzir said:
...the pictures hide is what I believe was the best investment and the first mod I put on the car, the clear bra....
Agreed. I'll probably pull mine off at some point and renew it. While it's off, it would be nice to leave it off for a few days and enjoy a perfect front end without any stone chips. I'm just glad it's the clear bra taking the beating and not the paint!

:byebye:

·
Registered
246 Posts
My question is, what color is your car? The color looks very similar to my first BMW, an '82 320i, Sapphire Blue with Pacific Blue interior. I still love that exterior color, but had no idea BMW still produces it.

simmikie

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
simmikie said:
My question is, what color is your car? The color looks very similar to my first BMW, an '82 320i, Sapphire Blue with Pacific Blue interior. I still love that exterior color, but had no idea BMW still produces it.

simmikie
It's Silverstone Metallic. E39 M5 exclusive.. that's why I got it.. also to show the curves of the car.. they tend to be hidden on the darker cars. The interior is also Silverstone, but you can't tell from the pics I posted. I am very happy with the combo and still get compliments on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
simmikie said:

simmikie
I had a Sapphire Blue '84 323i (euro spec car). In 84 this color was not available in the US on the 3-series, they had a darker and more gray color that was similar. Silverstone is close, but it's more blue and doesn't change colors in differing light as much as the Sapphire did.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lincoln said:
I had a Sapphire Blue '84 323i (euro spec car). In 84 this color was not available in the US on the 3-series, they had a darker and more gray color that was similar. Silverstone is close, but it's more blue and doesn't change colors in differing light as much as the Sapphire did.
That actually was my second BMW an '84 318i, the color I believe was Baltic blue, and you're right, it did not change tones in different lighting as the 320i did. I traded because the reviews for the 84 were so good, but the prevailing reason was I went sailing one day with a friend and while we were unloading stuff from the cars, his son set a cooler on the hood of my car and when I told him to remove it, instead of lifting the cooler, he slid it across the hood leaving long gouges in the paint. even after having the hood repainted it was not the same car to me.

Those were magical BMW ownership days. When ever I passed or encountered another BMW owner on the road we would wave and flash our headlights at each other! There was a real sense of community and being involved with something unique and special! I miss those days.

:cool: simmikie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts