BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my unit about two weeks ago. Just like you might expect I havent seen a cop since then.

Well today driving to work I was doing 50 in a 40. All of a sudden this beeping noise invaded my morning music. Man was it loud.

It took me a whole second to realise that it was my Lidatec going off!!!! First thought was, " Oh Crap, now whats wrong with the car?"

Once I figured out what it was I braked, and instantly saw the two motorcycle cops on the side of the 4 lane road. I was in the far lane from them. Now get this, this is the BIG deal. They were no more than 100 yards in front of me and about 35 feet to the right, when the Lidatec sensed and jammed them. In my humble opinion thats stellar performance and convinces me completely that this unit could "jam to gun" if it was not equiped with the 5 second feature.

I dont have a front license plate and the unit is mounted smack dab in the middle of the front bumper right under where the plate should go. Considering the short distance I was from the gun, and the small laser beam at that distance, this units sensitivity is amazing.

Something else I have noticed over the last year or so is that most of the laser guns I have seen are operated by motorcycle cops, or patrol cars with motorcycle chasers. Seldom have I seen a single patrol car so equiped, they mostly have the radar systems. Might just be a local phenomena, I dunno.

Oh yea, when I went by them, the guy holding the gun was still aiming it at me, saying something to the other cop. Wonder what the topic of discussion was?

I have to say, the first time that thing went off it shocked me. That wont happen again now that it has been proofed.

p.s. On my install I decided to velcro the control module to the back side of the under dash panel. I also used velcro to mount the buzzer and the LED, I can play a bit with placement that way. I put the light down by the hood release lever, can see it easily there, and the buzzer just above it.

The on/off switch is a nice little all black round toggle switch that I mounted to the right of my leg down in that small removable leather covered panel aside the transmission mount, very low profile also. You can not see it and if you do look for it, it looks completely factory. I got power from the red wire leading to the computer hookup point just down and left of the steering wheel. It's not switched, so I might change that power connection later. I like having to turn it on and off, part of my start and stop sequence now haha.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Pete said:
Oh yea, when I went by them, the guy holding the gun was still aiming it at me, saying something to the other cop. Wonder what the topic of discussion was?
Priceless!! I'd loved to have been on fly on that helmet....

-Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a Bel Vector Europa 966R radar detector and a TARGET LaserTrack 400 laser gun detector and oooh boy i have so much fun, driving around, especially at camera points where everyone is slowing down and i speed because the camera actually is not working or is a dummy very nice equipment hi hi hi hiha only got bust once because they chased me with an unmarked car :crying:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts