BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed my unit about two weeks ago. Just like you might expect I havent seen a cop since then.

Well today driving to work I was doing 50 in a 40. All of a sudden this beeping noise invaded my morning music. Man was it loud.

It took me a whole second to realise that it was my Lidatec going off!!!! First thought was, " Oh Crap, now whats wrong with the car?"

Once I figured out what it was I braked, and instantly saw the two motorcycle cops on the side of the 4 lane road. I was in the far lane from them. Now get this, this is the BIG deal. They were no more than 100 yards in front of me and about 35 feet to the right, when the Lidatec sensed and jammed them. In my humble opinion thats stellar performance and convinces me completely that this unit could "jam to gun" if it was not equiped with the 5 second feature.

I dont have a front license plate and the unit is mounted smack dab in the middle of the front bumper right under where the plate should go. Considering the short distance I was from the gun, and the small laser beam at that distance, this units sensitivity is amazing.

Something else I have noticed over the last year or so is that most of the laser guns I have seen are operated by motorcycle cops, or patrol cars with motorcycle chasers. Seldom have I seen a single patrol car so equiped, they mostly have the radar systems. Might just be a local phenomena, I dunno.

Oh yea, when I went by them, the guy holding the gun was still aiming it at me, saying something to the other cop. Wonder what the topic of discussion was?

I have to say, the first time that thing went off it shocked me. That wont happen again now that it has been proofed.

p.s. On my install I decided to velcro the control module to the back side of the under dash panel. I also used velcro to mount the buzzer and the LED, I can play a bit with placement that way. I put the light down by the hood release lever, can see it easily there, and the buzzer just above it.

The on/off switch is a nice little all black round toggle switch that I mounted to the right of my leg down in that small removable leather covered panel aside the transmission mount, very low profile also. You can not see it and if you do look for it, it looks completely factory. I got power from the red wire leading to the computer hookup point just down and left of the steering wheel. It's not switched, so I might change that power connection later. I like having to turn it on and off, part of my start and stop sequence now haha.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Pete said:
Oh yea, when I went by them, the guy holding the gun was still aiming it at me, saying something to the other cop. Wonder what the topic of discussion was?
Priceless!! I'd loved to have been on fly on that helmet....

-Dave

·
Registered
635 Posts
Still waiting to be contacted!! I would love to tell a story!

lol

Mvious

·
Registered
543 Posts
I almost got to test mine the other day when I saw 3 cars on the side of the road shooting laser...

But i was i nthe fast lane and a big truck was in the other lane blocking them from getting me. Thank goodness for the motorists on the other side of the freeway that flashed their lights at me ebcause I was running 15 or 2o over and aslowed to 10 over before I got to the trap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love it when people flash their lights when there are cops ahead! Everyone should do it! I've been saved at least once because of a friendly motorist.

Anyone ever been caught with the lidatek? My only hesitation is in the following scenerio: Say the cop hits the right side of your front bumper. The laser beam coverage area is relatively small, prolly less than a foot in diameter at short-moderate distances. So if the laser beam reflects off a part of your car that does contain the lidatek sensor and therefore does not activate, aren't you screwed?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
BM5W said:
I love it when people flash their lights when there are cops ahead! Everyone should do it! I've been saved at least once because of a friendly motorist.

Anyone ever been caught with the lidatek? My only hesitation is in the following scenerio: Say the cop hits the right side of your front bumper. The laser beam coverage area is relatively small, prolly less than a foot in diameter at short-moderate distances. So if the laser beam reflects off a part of your car that does contain the lidatek sensor and therefore does not activate, aren't you screwed?
Well, at least you can count on me to flash my lights.

Regarding the aformentioned scenario... yup.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BM5W said:

After my experience I dont think thats something to worry about. The only target I present to them is my headlight since I am running without a license plate. My Lidatec is mounted below the area where the plate should go so its at a maximum distance from the headlights.

I also failed to mention I was the front car of only two other cars and they were to the lanes right of me and quite a way behind me so I know I was the intended target.

Like I said, I was about 100 yards from them when they hit me, how big can the lasers beam be at that short distance?

Always remember they do have to hit a REFLECTIVE surface on your car. The two best are the headlights and the license plate. Light colored cars are in a bit more trouble since the paint can actually do some reflecting also. Darker colored cars tend not to be reflective until within about 200 yards. And the easiest target to hold on is still generally the front of the car.

If you have ever held a gun with a laser sight you will know exactly how troublesome it is to get on target without a bit of wandering. I doubt anyone can just come from an offside of the car, and stop a laser right on the mark.

There's no reason for hesitation. If the Lidatec only works 4 out of 5 times, thats 4 less tickets. There is also the possibility that the unit will pickup a laser thats being used just ahead as it swings to target a car in front of you. Too many good reasons to get one to worry about that occasional miss, if there will even be one.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
BM5W said:
From my experience you have little to worry about (famous last words). Anytime I've been zapped by laser that I've been aware of, my detector has gone off and it's high, window-visor mounted. That tells me that the width of the beam or light scatter is considerably greater than we are led to believe.

·
Registered
797 Posts
BM5W said:
The laser beam coverage area is relatively small, prolly less than a foot in diameter at short-moderate distances. So if the laser beam reflects off a part of your car that does contain the lidatek sensor and therefore does not activate, aren't you screwed?
The other solution is to use two transponders placed symmetrically about the center-line of the car. In that way, if the cop aims at your license plate you're covered and if he aims at a headlight your also covered.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Great story Pete :cheers:

I just got my LE-30 Lidartek 3 days ago and will install it next couple days. Would you happen have some pictures and tips on your stall?? :confused: I am pretty much a moron when it comes to handy stuff but I will give it a whirl because I just don't trust anyone at the local car stereo shop :confused3 on my "keeper" car.

Like you, I don't have a front license plate mounted.

Thnx

beewang :2:

P.S. Check your PM

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pete said:
I installed my unit about two weeks ago. Just like you might expect I havent seen a cop since then.

Well today driving to work I was doing 50 in a 40. All of a sudden this beeping noise invaded my morning music. Man was it loud.

It took me a whole second to realise that it was my Lidatec going off!!!! First thought was, " Oh Crap, now whats wrong with the car?"

Once I figured out what it was I braked, and instantly saw the two motorcycle cops on the side of the 4 lane road. I was in the far lane from them. Now get this, this is the BIG deal. They were no more than 100 yards in front of me and about 35 feet to the right, when the Lidatec sensed and jammed them. In my humble opinion thats stellar performance and convinces me completely that this unit could "jam to gun" if it was not equiped with the 5 second feature.

I dont have a front license plate and the unit is mounted smack dab in the middle of the front bumper right under where the plate should go. Considering the short distance I was from the gun, and the small laser beam at that distance, this units sensitivity is amazing.

Something else I have noticed over the last year or so is that most of the laser guns I have seen are operated by motorcycle cops, or patrol cars with motorcycle chasers. Seldom have I seen a single patrol car so equiped, they mostly have the radar systems. Might just be a local phenomena, I dunno.

I have to say, the first time that thing went off it shocked me. That wont happen again now that it has been proofed.

p.s. On my install I decided to velcro the control module to the back side of the under dash panel. I also used velcro to mount the buzzer and the LED, I can play a bit with placement that way. I put the light down by the hood release lever, can see it easily there, and the buzzer just above it.

The on/off switch is a nice little all black round toggle switch that I mounted to the right of my leg down in that small removable leather covered panel aside the transmission mount, very low profile also. You can not see it and if you do look for it, it looks completely factory. I got power from the red wire leading to the computer hookup point just down and left of the steering wheel. It's not switched, so I might change that power connection later. I like having to turn it on and off, part of my start and stop sequence now haha.
Pete

Do you know if they can use the laser gun remotely from inside the car; I got caught the other day and the cop did did not have a laser gun on him;he was just waving people in.

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have never seen or heard of a remote laser gun used by police. They actually have to have one in their hand and pointing at the suspect vehicle.

In your case it might be that there were two officers working in tandem, one with the gun and the other waving you over. I have seen that a lot when they set up a speed trap, mostly its a cruiser with the gun and a motorcycle cop or two as the chaser.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Slight off-topic

I know this is slightly off-topic but the cops in my town park past a foliage-filled median, then laser (pretty sure it is laser) through their passenger rear-view mirror. Freaked me out the first time I saw this...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I know this is slightly off-topic but the cops in my town park past a foliage-filled median, then laser (pretty sure it is laser) through their passenger rear-view mirror. Freaked me out the first time I saw this...
Awesome necropost.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts