BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
man all this time and nothing yet done ?

in lebanon , conversion was made by " M PERFORMANCE GARAGE" by Charbel SAIFI in 4 days 24/7 and you guys out there still wondering!!

loooooooool!

Trust me guys lebanon is the school of these things, they even here brainy people can make a flying ship even can get to the moon if they want.

It will take me longer because I spend too much time here helping people figure out their alternator/voltage regulator and reduced power/fueling problems...

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I wonder where all this information is about the swap as there is nothing posted anywhere.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I´m the one Jim mentioned earlier in the thread. Not in Germany though :)

My DCT box is assembled in Denmark and waiting for shipment to Iceland. Hope I can be of help once I get my car up and running but don´t hold your breath ;)

Still need to sandblast the car and do bodywork repairs, new weld in cage install, etc.

Takes time importing an S85 in suitcases :)

Only have the sleeved block, bottom part of the block and one head. I´ll get the rest here soon ;)

Also need to source a reasonably priced drysump pan - heard some company in the US was making one.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I´m the one Jim mentioned earlier in the thread. Not in Germany though :)

My DCT box is assembled in Denmark and waiting for shipment to Iceland. Hope I can be of help once I get my car up and running but don´t hold your breath ;)

Still need to sandblast the car and do bodywork repairs, new weld in cage install, etc.

Takes time importing an S85 in suitcases :)

Only have the sleeved block, bottom part of the block and one head. I´ll get the rest here soon ;)

Also need to source a reasonably priced drysump pan - heard some company in the US was making one.
Good to see you over here. I contacted Daley Engineering after I saw the pictures on the KMS racing website and Daley confirmed he does make the dry sump pan and pump assembly for the S85 in two versions. One retains the VANOS pump (silly, IMO) and one abandons it. I'll shoot you an email with pricing info he gave me.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Pics of the DCT box - on it´s way from Denmark:

Will be interesting making it fit... the E30 tunnel is not quite big enough ;)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Seem to work fine - anyone else having problems viewing them?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
*checks thread - thinks in his head 'are we there yet?' - reads minimal updates - makes mental note to check back in another month*
As Jim has just started up his new company I am guessing that this is taking up most of his time, I mean he does have to make some money to live on. I did reach out to him last week asking that if this project is too much for him and if he has other projects on-going then I will gladly take back my DCT and have another shop work on the project, my builder in AZ has shown interest to take it on if Jim does not have time.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Swap project moving along - finally the S50 engine is sold & paid for.

Gave up on the original buyer and sold it locally - here is the happy new owner picking it up:

Will go into a mint 1990 E30 316.

So now the S85 is on the engine stand with the parts list.....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
The biggest hurdle in dealing with DCT/e60 M5 coexistance is the engine software. An engine software for the v10 written to work with the DCT does not exist outside of the FIZ in germany...they are the only ones who have something that will work (for their 1-off CSL).

The rest is wiring, parts magic, and coding magic. We need someone who can look at M3 DCT software for the V8, and basically add 2 more cylinders to it. Should be a simple task for a coder/software writer but that's WAY out of my league personally.

Everyone talks about how this guy already did it, and that guy already did it but still to this day I have not seen a video of a DCT in a V10 M5 going down the road.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Getting custom software for the E60 will be tough

The biggest hurdle in dealing with DCT/e60 M5 coexistance is the engine software. An engine software for the v10 written to work with the DCT does not exist outside of the FIZ in germany...they are the only ones who have something that will work (for their 1-off CSL).

The rest is wiring, parts magic, and coding magic. We need someone who can look at M3 DCT software for the V8, and basically add 2 more cylinders to it. Should be a simple task for a coder/software writer but that's WAY out of my league personally.

Everyone talks about how this guy already did it, and that guy already did it but still to this day I have not seen a video of a DCT in a V10 M5 going down the road.
The more practical approach would be to have a 'man in the middle' box on the can bus that translates smg<->dct messages. One of those raspberry pi thingies would probably do it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
The more practical approach would be to have a 'man in the middle' box on the can bus that translates smg<->dct messages. One of those raspberry pi thingies would probably do it.
Also a great idea. Similar to the "emulators" used for CIC, NBT etc. retrofits that translate messages between the necessary ECUs

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
This project isn't dead for me, just has been on hold for a long time. @ACG donated a DCT trans and I've fitted it up to a spare block, but not had time to start working on the electrical or programming side. Up until this point it was a non-funded project and since making this my full time business, I have less time for fun stuff unfortunately.

This may change in the next couple of weeks however. There is an M6 owner who is willing to donate his vehicle for testing and fund the time for development. Will post some updates here once it arrives.

Thai

I have spent quite a bit of time with IDA Pro lately looking at mss60 and mss65 binaries for both processors. This has been primarily for tuning and calibration purposes , but I have seen a few things related to the SMG and DCT communication and the torque manager. The methods differ significantly on how the mss60 runs the V-8 and how the mss65 runs the V-10, so there more to it than that. At best, my goal would be to extract the portions of mss60 code that transmit/receive the ArbIDs from the DCT and transplant them into the mss65 in place of the SMG code. This is well beyond me at this point however, but I have a couple of people who could manage it and may be willing to assist.

This is more likely the end path forward over the hybridization of mss60 and mss65 binaries. The difficulty is that it's not a straightforward ArbID translation, the structure of the messages themselves are different, so a good portion of the function of this piggyback module is going to have to actually *create* the desired message structure from other inputs the DME would normally receive and then combine with some of the SMG message to send to the DCT. This is actually on the same ArbID for both DCT and SMG. In the other direction however, the message structure has to be altered as well as the ArbID to something the mss65 is actually looking for. None is impossible, but I haven't picked out a good PIC to start on for this yet.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Glacial progress here.... at least I have the box now in my garage:

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
As Jim said the project is not dead, I just got busy with life in general but in the next month if Jim does not get the funds he needs then I will purchase the Motec system that he has mentioned. However if there is any other way to get the coding completed then that would be great as I am sure not many people want to spend 4k on a Motec system.

Oh yeah the purchase of my new car did not help with the funding of this project either lol!!

161 - 180 of 313 Posts
About this Discussion
312 Replies
64 Participants
terraphantm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing