BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
how about just bolting it on and seeing what happens?

Someone with a shot transmission on a remapped pre lci 535d decided to fit the lci gearbox (to handle the extra power). He's so crazy he decides to fit it first and THEN try and get it working. It would do everything apart from go into gear (went back into P every time a gear was selected). Anyway, his mechanic looked at the error codes, did some digging and said he wired something to one of the modules and suddenly Drive, Reverse, DS etc., even the retrofitted paddles were working! Kickdown not working is the only outstanding issue, but to get it 90% working going from pre lci to lci (including swapping to the electronic gearshifter) is a pretty good achievement IMO.

Point is, if pre LCI to LCI can be done (hard predominately because of the pre facelight to facelift changes), a swap from SMG to DCT might be very simple with relatively few things that need tweaking (I acknowledge the flywheel might need some attention!). It helps that post Sep/2005 pre LCI M5s are electrically extremely similar to their LCI counterparts, i.e. no major module changes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The torque converter automatic gearboxes on the E60 have much in common. The SMGIII and the DCT - not so much.

·
2,132 Posts
More s85 parts or dct trans!!! Jim when can i come up for a visit.. My daily honda is on all seasons ready to go

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Glad it made it there in 1 piece :wink

Now the fun begins!!

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Glad it made it there in 1 piece :wink

Now the fun begins!!

Yep!

That's @drZoom 's car working next to it. Once I get his PS pump replaced and fix the noisy bank 2 head, I'm going to use the bedplate and crank he donated along with a spare block for mechanical fit testing.

I hope to get that rolling this weekend.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Yep!

That's <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @drZoom <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> 's car working next to it. Once I get his PS pump replaced and fix the noisy bank 2 head, I'm going to use the bedplate and crank he donated along with a spare block for mechanical fit testing.

I hope to get that rolling this weekend.
Awesome Jim, I can't wait to see some results of this project, as you can tell I am running out of things to do to my car HAHA!!

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I think Jim has been busy with other projects at this time and also collecting additional information to move forward.

·
Registered
13 Posts
so out of curiosity, any idea of the plan for the discoveries this produces if it is successful? Free DIY instructions/code? or Commercial parts? (or even commercial code and instructions??)

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Nothing lately. In the next week I hope to get the mechanical mating verified and start working on communication tests
Hope all goes well Jim.

·
Registered
437 Posts
man all this time and nothing yet done ?

in lebanon , conversion was made by " M PERFORMANCE GARAGE" by Charbel SAIFI in 4 days 24/7 and you guys out there still wondering!!

loooooooool!

Trust me guys lebanon is the school of these things, they even here brainy people can make a flying ship even can get to the moon if they want.

141 - 160 of 313 Posts
About this Discussion
312 Replies
64 Participants
terraphantm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing