BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Nothing directly related on my end. Absolutely buried in a project right now. Some info gained from this will be useful later for DCT though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excited to join the topic! Few questions I have that I did not find online:
Has anyone ever tried physically put S85 and DCT together? flywheel bolt pattern and input shaft length, mods required?
Has anyone ever tried connecting S85 Dme and DCT tcu together (appropriate wiring manner of course) and see what happens?

Maybe noob questions, but I haven't found anything else like this topic online, and you guys seem like heading toward the right direction. I have both vehicles that in my power to do whatever it takes to do, except I'm trying to ditch S65 and squeeze S85 into E92. I have Vehicle Spy Pro Both CAN and K-Line can be monitored simultaneously.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Excited to join the topic! Few questions I have that I did not find online:
Has anyone ever tried physically put S85 and DCT together? flywheel bolt pattern and input shaft length, mods required?
Has anyone ever tried connecting S85 Dme and DCT tcu together (appropriate wiring manner of course) and see what happens?

Maybe noob questions, but I haven't found anything else like this topic online, and you guys seem like heading toward the right direction. I have both vehicles that in my power to do whatever it takes to do, except I'm trying to ditch S65 and squeeze S85 into E92. I have Vehicle Spy Pro Both CAN and K-Line can be monitored simultaneously.

I believe all the swaps of the S85 in any chassis have been with the SMG transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe all the swaps of the S85 in any chassis have been with the SMG transmission.
And that is mainly due to Flywheel. It is hard to guess without having both flywheels to compare. But from brief research it seems that you can't mount DCT Clutch to S85 flywheel :) and I don't think S65 Flywheel will work on S85 engine as regards to the Tone ring and Starter Ring. Not sure if this was covered or not. Any input on this topic would be appreciated!

·
Registered
225 Posts
And that is mainly due to Flywheel. It is hard to guess without having both flywheels to compare. But from brief research it seems that you can't mount DCT Clutch to S85 flywheel :) and I don't think S65 Flywheel will work on S85 engine as regards to the Tone ring and Starter Ring. Not sure if this was covered or not. Any input on this topic would be appreciated!
S65 DCT Flywheel:

S85 SMG Flywheel:

The rings/teeth look the same to me. I imagine the flywheel would bolt up. However twin mass flywheels are supposed to be at least somewhat matched to the rotating assembly; not sure what the long term implications are of using a cross-plane 8 cylinder's flywheel on an odd-fire V10.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Snagged one on from eBay recently. We'll know soon enough. Mss60 and mss65 share enough code, it seems unlikely there would be any justifiable reason to change the tooth pattern for the crankshaft position sensor.

As mentioned before, you can mount an E9x 6MT to an S85, so logically the output shaft splines etc are identical.

I was going to hang on to these, but what the heck, this is the easy part.

SMG shift knob
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445868729.068204.jpg

DCT shift knob
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445868760.190034.jpg

Need to find a way to get the DCT parking lock cable down to the transmission
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445868783.741301.jpg

Oh, lookie here, what's this?
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445868825.623818.jpg

What's that you say, just remove that little boot? The hole is there for the E60 Automatics.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445868860.451982.jpg

Once removed, you're looking at the transmission tunnel liner underneath the car. Need to look at parts to see if there's significant difference to the automatic cars or just cut a hole in the plastic liner.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445869007.912416.jpg

View from under the car looking up
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445869039.988203.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rings/teeth look the same to me. I imagine the flywheel would bolt up. However twin mass flywheels are supposed to be at least somewhat matched to the rotating assembly; not sure what the long term implications are of using a cross-plane 8 cylinder's flywheel on an odd-fire V10.
3 issues:
1. Flywheel diameter ring gear size starter and ring gear has to mate, to
measure the diameter is easy or so I assume.

2. Tone ring has certain amount of teeth as for the timing to be precisely calculated and accounted, if the diameter is the same on both flywheels and count is the same, then we're good to go, otherwise there's going to be one unhappy DME :)

3. Most challenging one I believe will be the Spline. As to that is how it mounts to the flywheel, hence S85 lacks the spline

I have a feeling there will be need for a custom flywheel :)

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
As for the flywheel diameter, I agree it matters for starter engagement, but not for timing. The tooth count does as you say due to the pattern. The Motec M190 with the GPR software package has a single option for BMW S65 and S85, so I'm going to assume the tooth count/pattern is the same. The crank position sensor is just a hall sensor. There is a double tooth skip in the pattern to index the position of the crank.

As for the splined portion, on the DCT, the male spline is on the transmission side, the female spline is machined to the inner diameter of the flywheel, just like the female splined area on the clutch for the SMG. As long as the flywheel bolts up to the crank and starter engages, I think we're good.

At any rate, tracking number shows my flywheel will be here Monday, so we'll see what it is in reality.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This is phenomenal progress....Once all the mechanical parts are figured out, I guess we'd need to 'fake' the DCT so that the DME thinks it's an SMG. I would expect this to be very doable with an embedded microprocessor of some sort once the messages are all known.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
This is phenomenal progress....Once all the mechanical parts are figured out, I guess we'd need to 'fake' the DCT so that the DME thinks it's an SMG. I would expect this to be very doable with an embedded microprocessor of some sort once the messages are all known.

BMW uses a CAN messaging standard that is quite common across platforms given a close age range. Most of the CAN data I'm looking at is similar. Need more logs from a DCT though.

Working on wiring tables now, will post something up when it's ready for consumption.

81 - 100 of 313 Posts
About this Discussion
312 Replies
64 Participants
terraphantm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing