BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

461 - 480 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
But we're here, in-front of you. Rather than people asking for more information, all we've been met with is hostility. I was very much in the mind-set of just trying to show-case, but it's turned into some hateful comments and people. It's there, it WILL be documented more, you WILL see more of the vehicle, and we may very well build an M5 too over the next coming months, something a little bit special about it too, definitely with a DCT/DKG gearbox ofcourse.

We came with claims, we came with video's, we have all of the information and because it's on Instragram, or has some hash-tags to try and advertise it further, it means it's not true? come on now. More video's will be made, I'll keep posting them here if people really care and it's not met with constant scepticism.

One more thing, Hater's gon' hate.
Anything new?

·
Registered
432 Posts
can we do a $50 pledge for the first one to come out with a viable DIY for 7+speed DCT swap? that guy deserves it. i saw some home made videos on DCT driving around. i'm not convinced it's ready for the masses. last thing i want is to give the car to a shop that says that can do it and have the car gone for months if not years.

can anyone chime in, with first hand knowledge, on the actual state of affair with DCT swap for s85?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I doubt right now there's a viable DIY swap. People who have done it probably shy away from mentioning they spend 3 times what they paid for the car! Just kidding, I don't actually know, but I assume it's going to cost more than any average enthusiast would pay. It has to be someone who is slightly off center.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I doubt right now there's a viable DIY swap. People who have done it probably shy away from mentioning they spend 3 times what they paid for the car! Just kidding, I don't actually know, but I assume it's going to cost more than any average enthusiast would pay. It has to be someone who is slightly off center.
I seriously doubt there will be a DCT solution marketed for the E60/E63 platform.

Does not make financial sense, other products/markets more interesting for tuning shops to pursue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It think it makes a lot of financial sense (to the buyer) if the pricing is right. A used DCT transmission (which supposedly lasts quite a few miles) is like half the price of a SMG clutch & flywheel kit. I had a custom driveshaft made for $500 in my last S54-swapped car. If a vendor sold a flash and/or hardware device to make MSS65 and DCT happy together for say $1000 I'd think it could be quite popular and not a terrible expense to do the swap as opposed to a SMG clutch replacement and minor refurb.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It think it makes a lot of financial sense (to the buyer) if the pricing is right. A used DCT transmission (which supposedly lasts quite a few miles) is like half the price of a SMG clutch & flywheel kit. I had a custom driveshaft made for $500 in my last S54-swapped car. If a vendor sold a flash and/or hardware device to make MSS65 and DCT happy together for say $1000 I'd think it could be quite popular and not a terrible expense to do the swap as opposed to a SMG clutch replacement and minor refurb.
That's where I was when I sent my car up to Jim/FAMS to attempt the swap. SMG was at 97k miles, definitely needed clutch and flywheel, probably needed pump and accumulator rebuilt, wiring harness redone, etc. It was gonna be an expensive repair either way, so decided to persue the DCT idea which Jim said he had figured out (was not the case).

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
432 Posts
alright this about sums it up. no viable DCT option for s85. man it sucks because smg-III is flawless for wide open throttle shifts and has just about perfect gear ratio but for low speed cruising in traffic and around town, i prefer just about anything else. at crawl speed, it feels like driving a manual car while someone else is actuating the clutch pedal.

for those worried about smg reliability, just change the fluids often. this ain't 'lifetime' fluid. it needs to be changed every 50-100k miles. both trans fluid & hydraulic fluid. hydraulic fluid gets cooked with exhaust heat and will come out diff than the stuff in the bottle when you empty it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
And wires deteriorating

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yupp, and you can find a place that will do an SMG to 6 speed e46m3 swap within an hour drive from anywhere in the US. The fact that literally no one is offering this conversion, and the only people claiming to have done it are gone after the 5 minutes of insta-fame should tell you something.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
But why haven’t I seen a single M5 E60 dct yet if it can be done with a standalone. I mean it’s a great engine and paired with a dct it would killer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's been done in "race" cars / track toys with a motec or the like.

The E60 chassis is just too well integrated with it myriad of sensors and computers to play well with a standalone ecu for a trans. I mean honestly, if your steering angle sensor gets dirty you lose your edc shocks, power steering, traction control, hill hold assist, etc..... Why? Heck if I know, but I lived it. If it was feasible for even a lightly obscene amount of money I think it would have happened by now.

The ratdog guy on youtube doesn't really show much of his work as far as getting his M6 working with just BMW parts so I'm iffy on that, would loved to be proven wrong as if it could be done I think it would help keep more S85's on the road. Maybe even help with values long term if you could cannibalize a more common M3 trans.

Driftworks has a working v10/dct in their e46 and they go into detail with their build process but it's all standalone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's been done in "race" cars / track toys with a motec or the like.

The E60 chassis is just too well integrated with it myriad of sensors and computers to play well with a standalone ecu for a trans. I mean honestly, if your steering angle sensor gets dirty you lose your edc shocks, power steering, traction control, hill hold assist, etc..... Why? Heck if I know, but I lived it. If it was feasible for even a lightly obscene amount of money I think it would have happened by now.

The ratdog guy on youtube doesn't really show much of his work as far as getting his M6 working with just BMW parts so I'm iffy on that, would loved to be proven wrong as if it could be done I think it would help keep more S85's on the road. Maybe even help with values long term if you could cannibalize a more common M3 trans.

Driftworks has a working v10/dct in their e46 and they go into detail with their build process but it's all standalone.
The Driftworks e46 uses an S85 and a standalone, however a 6spd out of an M3 is bolted to it. They have a DCT car too though but that's an S65 with Syvecs for ECU and HTG for TCU.

Developing a standalone for the E60 although not impossible by the likes of Syvecs for example (given they have one for the E90 that uses the MSS60 which is similar to the MSS65 in the E60) there's no demographic that would make the hassle of creating one worth it.

Ratdog has recently released a video on his Instagram showing downshift blips working and does say that he intends to develop a kit once he has done enough tests on his race car (all on OEM ECUs) and is confident in it.

If you are interested in seeing an S85 with a DCT, there's a sub-forum on here of an e46 with that combo, albeit on standalones, Awron (I think) + HTG

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Driftworks e46 uses an S85 and a standalone, however a 6spd out of an M3 is bolted to it. They have a DCT car too though but that's an S65 with Syvecs for ECU and HTG for TCU.

Developing a standalone for the E60 although not impossible by the likes of Syvecs for example (given they have one for the E90 that uses the MSS60 which is similar to the MSS65 in the E60) there's no demographic that would make the hassle of creating one worth it.

Ratdog has recently released a video on his Instagram showing downshift blips working and does say that he intends to develop a kit once he has done enough tests on his race car (all on OEM ECUs) and is confident in it.

If you are interested in seeing an S85 with a DCT, there's a sub-forum on here of an e46 with that combo, albeit on standalones, Awron (I think) + HTG
Guess I got their e30 and e46 parts mixed up, but my point still stands. Never said it was an impossibility, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze given what know how and amount of work is required to get such a project running without a permanent xmass tree. Otherwise, gintani would have done it by now, fams would have done it by now, who knows how many shade tree mechanics would have done it by now.

Anything can be run on standalones in a toy, kinda defeats the purpose of luxury sedan/coupe if you neuter nearly all the functions in the process of doing it though. Given the amount of failures revolving this swap in the past, I think most of us are at the point where we'll believe it when we see it. Jump cut hype beast instasnap videos combined with shying away from direct questions in this very thread isn't very confidence inspiring as far as convincing people educated on the platform that they figured out what so many didn't.

I look forward to being proven wrong by team rodent caine, but I'm not holding my breath.

461 - 480 of 501 Posts