BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is what I don't get:

So which is it? I'd rather hear "its a secret" as opposed to lots of DME changes followed by no DME changes followed by DME obviously tweaked. Readers may be less skeptical if your messaging was somewhat consistent.
Most generous interpretation I can make is that they tuned limp home maps to be "good enough". But who knows, they disappeared and haven't posted anything real since as far as I can tell.

If I were building a car, I think I'd still go down the MSS60 path.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Most generous interpretation I can make is that they tuned limp home maps to be "good enough". But who knows, they disappeared and haven't posted anything real since as far as I can tell.

If I were building a car, I think I'd still go down the MSS60 path.
No one's yet explained how they manage to get the MSS65 to listen to completely diff CAN traffic coming from the DCT box, other than some handwavy insta-talk ("#legendary #hard #work #sweat #tears #youtube #fame"). Not holding my breath.

·
Registered
354 Posts
No one's yet explained how they manage to get the MSS65 to listen to completely diff CAN traffic coming from the DCT box, other than some handwavy insta-talk ("#legendary #hard #work #sweat #tears #youtube #fame"). Not holding my breath.
If it is real and as described, it obviously doesn’t process them. Question is does that completely break shifting or does it just work poorly? If I had a DCT car to play with I’d try deliberately breaking the handling of those messages and see what happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Watch or not, don't mind. Skip the bits you're not interested in, but yet more proof from 10mins onwards. 11min 20 for some details.
I’m not sure what all the angst is about in this thread. These guys have clearly built a working m6 with dct. That is cool AF.

Would I like more details about how it works? Sure but they don’t owe me (or anyone) any explanations.

On a side note I’ve never been an m6 fan but I have to say it looks sick as a track car. It’s hard to imagine a more fun car at the ‘ring than an s85 with a dct behind it wrapped in a widened m6 body.

As you uk guys like to say... fair play.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I’m not sure what all the angst is about in this thread. These guys have clearly built a working m6 with dct. That is cool AF....
Unfortunately those of us who have been following (or in my case actively trying) DCT swaps have seen so many of these projects fail or end up being BS. A number of the big names in this community have tried to get this swap to work with varying degrees of success, but nothing has ever come to fruition. Now we've got an new, unknown (at least on the forums) coming in saying they've pulled it off, the scepticism is warranted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can kind of understand that. I remember a bit of the history (I’ve only been here a couple years) and on particularly boastful individual who made some bold claims with little to show for it.

But these guys are not that guy. I don’t necissarily agree with their approach either (most here are very open) but I can kind of understand it and at the end of the day they’ve built a pretty cool car which is s85 and dct and they have my respect for that. Im hopeful that over time they’ll share more info on how they accomplished it which will help other guys who want to DIY their own swap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But we're here, in-front of you. Rather than people asking for more information, all we've been met with is hostility. I was very much in the mind-set of just trying to show-case, but it's turned into some hateful comments and people. It's there, it WILL be documented more, you WILL see more of the vehicle, and we may very well build an M5 too over the next coming months, something a little bit special about it too, definitely with a DCT/DKG gearbox ofcourse.

We came with claims, we came with video's, we have all of the information and because it's on Instragram, or has some hash-tags to try and advertise it further, it means it's not true? come on now. More video's will be made, I'll keep posting them here if people really care and it's not met with constant scepticism.

One more thing, Hater's gon' hate.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Unfortunately those of us who have been following (or in my case actively trying) DCT swaps have seen so many of these projects fail or end up being BS. A number of the big names in this community have tried to get this swap to work with varying degrees of success, but nothing has ever come to fruition. Now we've got an new, unknown (at least on the forums) coming in saying they've pulled it off, the scepticism is warranted.
Well there's been the twin turbo M6 one in Russia
https://www.m5board.com/threads/bmw-e63-m6-v10-twin-turbo-dct-powered-by-gintani-the-most-powerfull-bmw-in-the-world.445569

The recent gintani M5 one
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVUoMcvhV1X/?hl=en

And now this one

Everyone that's played around with it and has any grasp on the technical details knows the MSS65 part is non-trivial, and the only thing in common for the ostensibly successful ones is the handwaving on details and insta-fame. Occam's razor applies.

·
Registered
354 Posts
But we're here, in-front of you. Rather than people asking for more information, all we've been met with is hostility. I was very much in the mind-set of just trying to show-case, but it's turned into some hateful comments and people. It's there, it WILL be documented more, you WILL see more of the vehicle, and we may very well build an M5 too over the next coming months, something a little bit special about it too, definitely with a DCT/DKG gearbox ofcourse.

We came with claims, we came with video's, we have all of the information and because it's on Instragram, or has some hash-tags to try and advertise it further, it means it's not true? come on now. More video's will be made, I'll keep posting them here if people really care and it's not met with constant scepticism.

Looking back, seems like Nuno is the only one who had hateful comments. Dude comes off as a bit of a prick really.

The car seems real enough. But hiding it behind poorly edited cringy instagram videos doesn’t help anyone.

As with Malik, I am skeptical of the software side. I have a few hypotheses of how it could be working if everything is as stated - which I’ve posted here. But if it came out that you were deliberately being misleading to protect your work, I wouldn’t be surprised.

·
Registered
103 Posts

stick one on mine. I’m only down the road from the workshop you’re at pretty much every weekend 😂

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Will be interesting to see if they can complete the SW part of the project, rev matching etc.

Will be one hell of a car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I had a DCT car to play with I’d try deliberately breaking the handling of those messages and see what happens.
I'm thinking of starting with L_CAN (DME <-> SMG) logging - I have a SMG M5 and CAN hardware. Anyone near Sacramento with a DCT E92 M3 willing to drive around with my CAN logging hardware attached? Would be nice to get an idea of messages on both cars to see what is and isn't shared.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So unlike the SMG, the DME and DCT don't communicate over a dedicated CAN-bus. It's all handled over PT-CAN, and in general the logic is drastically simplified compared to SMG control since the DME isn't really involved in shifting decisions.

That in fact is why DCT swaps into other chassis is at all feasible - the hardest parts are largely self contained.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Understood. Makes sense that SMG is way more chatty since it has a dedicated CAN bus for DME communication and talks on PT_CAN as well. I just want to get a handle on how many ARB IDs are common between the two transmissions and if the payload of the common messages are compatible. Is it 10%? 90%? Who knows - could be 100% from MSS65 -> DKG, less in other direction. I'd think that figuring this out could provide insight into the best path for making the swap a reality.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been researching Maxxecu as an option for me in my E30 M3 build where I have the S85 and DCT.
They indeed support the S85 with their standalone, you need the Pro version:

They have startup maps available for the S85, several of their clients are running the S85.

From what I have seen, they have super good customer service. Quick to answer questions, frequent updates to software, etc. Their user group on FB is full of very happy customers.

So basically they check all the boxes for me for my build.
I have just contacted MaxxECU and they denied any support of S85 engine and there is no startup maps as well:

Hi!

We do not offer anything for the S85, but the engine can be controlled.

I have no idea about the OEM CAN on that one, if any of our current CAN protocol might get your vehicle CAN to work as expected.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I have just contacted MaxxECU and they denied any support of S85 engine and there is no startup maps as well:
Interesting.

I asked them the following questions in August last year:

"
Have a few questions.

1. Would I get a base map for the S85 included?
  2. Does the Pro with that base map control all 4 vanos units (intake/exhaust, both banks)?
  3. Do you retain the use of the built in ionic knock sensing or do you require additional knock sensors?
  4. Do you have an adapter that goes into the oem harness or would I have to make one to connect the ecu?
  5. Is your solution functionally comparable to the one from Elise Racing? BMW S85 | eliseracing
"

The reply I got was:

"
  1. We can get you a base tune yes.
  2. Yes it will control all cams.
  3. External bosch knock sensors required.
  4. No plugin adapter, a custom flying lead is your option.
  5. I have no idea of the elise racing product.
"

So maybe by saying "they do not have anything" for the S85 means they don´t have a plug and play solution.

Thordur

·
Registered
253 Posts
I looked at the Elise racing page, looks like it might be Syvecs/Life racing hardware they are using which is good stuff. Anyone run a DCT with that setup?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I looked at the Elise racing page, looks like it might be Syvecs/Life racing hardware they are using which is good stuff. Anyone run a DCT with that setup?
I don't believe they are shipping this product at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the current best approach is to use HTG GCU, this should be a working solution for different platform, they have a small youtube channel showing how DCT work with different vehicles. I have sent them an email asking how their GCU work with ECU and if it will be compatible with MSS65 CAN protocol, will post reply if I can get any.

421 - 440 of 460 Posts