BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
DKG E63 M6
32 Posts
During google, I have found this company online, they seems to be promising and even have a booth at one recent auto show. I like the fact they run a separate racing ECU allowing complete tune while keeping all OEM dash function. It looks like they can also adopt Porsche PDK...This company is UK based maybe somebody in UK can check it out? I will probably contact them after covid pandemic.

View attachment 937733
View attachment 937734
View attachment 937735
sorry mate,

Yet another Alex Gintani.

Gareth is full of hopes and dreams and had me waiting for a very long time (over a year before we decided to just do it ourselves) it all collapsed when Syvecs decided to no longer pursue this project with Gareth.

Gareth Howell owns Elise racing and Howell engineering.

·
Registered
DKG E63 M6
32 Posts
During google, I have found this company online, they seems to be promising and even have a booth at one recent auto show. I like the fact they run a separate racing ECU allowing complete tune while keeping all OEM dash function. It looks like they can also adopt Porsche PDK...This company is UK based maybe somebody in UK can check it out? I will probably contact them after covid pandemic.

View attachment 937733
View attachment 937734
View attachment 937735
I tried contacting these guys via email, FB and phone. No luck starting a communication with them. Don´t want to think how they are to deal with on a customer level.
Ye you won't get anything from Gareth on this anymore, Syvecs decided not to pursue the project. The ecu's were never made.

·
Registered
DKG E63 M6
32 Posts
Here is a video I got in 2017 from Gintani, shows their development mule fully working with DCT.

Motec, we know its a motec.

CBA to hear Gintani and s85 DCT together anymore so much BS.
Incorrect.
lool ok ok.

I have PM's from Alex telling me the swap was never completed.... plus we know who helps Alex do his coding.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Motec, we know its a motec.

CBA to hear Gintani and s85 DCT together anymore so much BS.

lool ok ok.

I have PM's from Alex telling me the swap was never completed.... plus we know who helps Alex do his coding.
Correct, that car was returned to stock.

I know the person that did the coding.

Reactions: PeterTRS

·
Registered
354 Posts
Changing torque maps in mss65 or the DKG controller won't make them pick up/drop each other's traffic by default - you for sure need something in between to translate the frames.

I don't have a horse in this race, but dodging even the simplest technical question with those kinds of truisms and exciting videos makes this seem like all the other successful dual clutch swaps in the past.
So looking into it, the DME -> DCT messages might not be much of an issue. Per MaxxECU, these are the messages they need to send to make the DCT happy

(Reproduced below with my commentary added)
A8Torque 1 K-CAN [10]0x12DME1/DDE1Present on MSS65
A9Torque 2 (10)0x12DME1/DDE1Present on MSS65
AATorque 3 K-CAN [10]0x12DME1/DDE1Present on MSS65
ACWheel torque Drive train 2 [5]0x12DME1/DDE1Does not appear to be present in MSS65
B4Wheel torque Drive train 1 [4]0x12DME1/DDE1Does not appear to be present in MSS65
B6Torque demand DSC [7]0x29DXC_RB/DSC_RB/DSC_CTLikely present
BFRequirement wheel torque Drive train [6]0x1CLDMSent from DSC module on MK60e5 cars (i.e M5)
C4Steering wheel angle K-CAN [13]0x29DXC_RB/DSC_RB/DSC_CTPresent on M5
CEWheel speed K-CAN [4]0x29DXC_RB/DSC_RB/DSC_CTPreasent on M5
130Terminal status [19]0x40CASBroadcast by DME on M5, can probably be configured to be sent from CAS
19EStatus DSC K-CAN [19]0x29DXC_RB/DSC_RB/DSC_CTpresent on M5
1A3Raw data longitudinal acceleration [3]0x18SMG_MSent by SMG module on M5
1B4Status Kombi [14]0x60KombiPresent on M5
1D0Motor data [13]0x12DME1/DDE1Present on M5
1e1Door StatusPresent on M5
2B2Wheel pressure K-CAN [1]0x29DXC_RB/DSC_RB/DSC_CTPresent on M5
2FASeat belt contact (14)0x1ACSMPresent on M5
2FCZV and folding condition [11]0x40CASPresent on M5
308Status MSA [2]0x12DME1/DDE1Not present on M5, may not matter
310External temperature / relative time [10]0x60KombiPresent on M5
330Mileage / range [5]0x60KombiPresent on M5
34FHand Brake StatusPresent on M5
374Wheel tolerance adjustment [7]0x29DXC_RB/DSC_RB/DSC_CTPresent on M5
3EFOBD data engine (3)0x12DME1/DDE1Present on M5

Most of that is there. Major exceptions are the wheel torque values, I don't see those. But perhaps the DCT module can still function to some degree without those messages. Certainly seems like it can guestimate wheel torque with engine and DSC data. Some of the missing ones can probably just have error codes suppressed at the tranny side (start/stop status for example).

Of course this only tells us part of the picture. Might be possible to keep the DCT module happy with minimal work. Though I can't even say that the versions of these messages present on the M5 include all the data the DCT module looks for.

The big part of the picture I'm currently missing is what does the DSC module send to the DME (and for that matter, to other modules), and how does it expect the car to react in response to data it sends.

For that one needs to disassemble the DCT software. Could probably get a reasonable head start by throwing WinKFP files into IDA / Ghidra, though you'll be missing boot code of course.

Or really, perhaps it'd be simplest to stick the DME in manual mode and run something like this: Customer cars

·
Registered
959 Posts
From couple other threads, SMG sends torque demands on 0xBD frames, where as DCT will send them on 0xB8 frames. So right off the bat you'll have to man-in-the-middle those to get it to work.

·
Registered
354 Posts
From couple other threads, SMG sends torque demands on 0xBD frames, where as DCT will send them on 0xB8 frames. So right off the bat you'll have to man-in-the-middle those to get it to work.
Well the question is what actually happens if the DCT module doesn't get a response. Does it just just **** the bed, or does it operate in some suboptimal mode?

I can tell the DCT sends messages on B8 and BA that the MSS60 only processes when in DCT mode. So obviously there's some importance to it, but I can't say that it won't work at all without those messages. There's probably more - this is just a very cursory look so far.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Glad to see what looks like progress on this, I am awaiting my DCT to be sent back to me from Jim.......not holding my breath on ever seeing it but we shall see.

·
Registered
173 Posts

They have released it today along with new wiring loom here they explain everything needed customer support seems really good getting reply to emails with few hours
Sourced a gearbox and factory tcu from Kent which I'll be collecting some point next week only question is has anybody used this company before?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts

They have released it today along with new wiring loom here they explain everything needed customer support seems really good getting reply to emails with few hours
Sourced a gearbox and factory tcu from Kent which I'll be collecting some point next week only question is has anybody used this company before?

I don't see anything that mentions supporting s85 platform.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've emailed them been put onto another company closer to home in uk there based in Sweden and the uk company has confirmed they can get the dct gearbox to work on any platform which includes but doesnt limit to the s85 I have my car booked into them in a months time which gives me enough time to bolt on the box etc follow bmw m5 owners club on facebook after next tuesday once I've picked up all the bits I will be posting all info on there I'm only going ahead with this after speaking to the tuning company in long details and conforming they can achieve this if they dont I have a plan b I've owned my e60 for nearly 4 years now and wanted to do this at the start of ownership as I hate the smg2 but as I stored the car and only use once in a blue moon I totally didnt have this in mind until this posts came back to life and got me itching again currently in a c63s edition 1 which is nothing compared to bmw

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I have been researching Maxxecu as an option for me in my E30 M3 build where I have the S85 and DCT.
They indeed support the S85 with their standalone, you need the Pro version:

They have startup maps available for the S85, several of their clients are running the S85.

From what I have seen, they have super good customer service. Quick to answer questions, frequent updates to software, etc. Their user group on FB is full of very happy customers.

So basically they check all the boxes for me for my build.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have been researching Maxxecu as an option for me in my E30 M3 build where I have the S85 and DCT.
They indeed support the S85 with their standalone, you need the Pro version:

They have startup maps available for the S85, several of their clients are running the S85.

From what I have seen, they have super good customer service. Quick to answer questions, frequent updates to software, etc. Their user group on FB is full of very happy customers.

So basically they check all the boxes for me for my build.
Yes
Its many of those reasons I'm going with them also
There ecu can basically run dct to most engines
Also you dont loose any standard features on the dash
Everything is oem
It also has a bluetooth app that you can download and do many things and see many things.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Yes
Its many of those reasons I'm going with them also
There ecu can basically run dct to most engines
Also you dont loose any standard features on the dash
Everything is oem
It also has a bluetooth app that you can download and do many things and see many things.

Ok, in what car?

·
Registered
103 Posts
running the maxxecu is a bigger job though as its a complete standalone ecu. i dont know if they know all the CANbus messages. Oil level wont work for one on the dash as that comes from engine ECU.

Guess you're looking at around 5k for the Maxxecu setup on the S85, custom loom, mapping, dct setup etc

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
running the maxxecu is a bigger job though as its a complete standalone ecu. i dont know if they know all the CANbus messages. Oil level wont work for one on the dash as that comes from engine ECU.

Guess you're looking at around 5k for the Maxxecu setup on the S85, custom loom, mapping, dct setup etc
Exactly, don´t see how this would work in an M5/M6 as OEM Ecu replacement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its such a shame, the amount of posts you've made on this DCT thread since its beginning tells me you seem quite interested, shame you're just not that interested enough.

You could fill the gap for me and do all the other conversions that we have been asked to do but cba.

My name isn't Alex Gintani, my doors are open, come and see it.
Mate I would love to see this, I sent a message to Eliseracing about this a while back as they were doing a plug in ECU and dct swap, I think they are still working on it I think. I've now sold my v10 and jumped onto the f90 but I still missed her, this might bring me back

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is what I don't get:

Lots of calibration from me on both ECU and TCU
OEM MSS65 with whatever calibration was already on the ECU as factory (european model), didn't try to update it or hack/hybridize anything together, dabbled in IDApro, but nothing more than looking around. Wasn't necessary.
It's an MSS65, with MSS65 OEM ROM, obviously tweaked but no hashing or extra coding.
So which is it? I'd rather hear "its a secret" as opposed to lots of DME changes followed by no DME changes followed by DME obviously tweaked. Readers may be less skeptical if your messaging was somewhat consistent.

401 - 420 of 460 Posts