BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

301 - 313 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
He posts updates on the FB page which is where he posted some wiring being completed on this project.

Hoping this is close to completion as it is the last project I have on this car for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
13,456 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keeping off the forums and social media (trying anyway...still have to generate income).

Teasers:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnuf5KjrDAQMoe299

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nH5ZEPFwY4K6X9oQ8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SkUnefrb1PApqeHp9

And after a lifetime of disassembly, decompiling, reverse engineering:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SpCMzJNv3H4Kz5R58
Interesting, so using the MSS60 DME and adding support for 2 more cylinders was an easier path than DCT-compatible software on MSS65? Are MSS60 and MSS65 very similar to each other like MSS52 and MSS54 are? Any DME hardware mods (like additional injector & spark mosfets for the 2 additional cylinders) required?

Was that video a S65 car cranking or are you ready to fire up a S85 running on MSS60?

Sorry for all of the questions. I really appreciate your work on this and want to see where it leads.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Interesting, so using the MSS60 DME and adding support for 2 more cylinders was an easier path than DCT-compatible software on MSS65?
That is the route BMW took with their one off S85DCT car ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Keeping off the forums and social media (trying anyway...still have to generate income).

Teasers:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnuf5KjrDAQMoe299

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nH5ZEPFwY4K6X9oQ8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SkUnefrb1PApqeHp9

And after a lifetime of disassembly, decompiling, reverse engineering:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SpCMzJNv3H4Kz5R58
Interesting, so using the MSS60 DME and adding support for 2 more cylinders was an easier path than DCT-compatible software on MSS65? Are MSS60 and MSS65 very similar to each other like MSS52 and MSS54 are? Any DME hardware mods (like additional injector & spark mosfets for the 2 additional cylinders) required?

Was that video a S65 car cranking or are you ready to fire up a S85 running on MSS60?

Sorry for all of the questions. I really appreciate your work on this and want to see where it leads.
Using MSS60 software would definitely be easier than mss65 software. Whether it’s easier to start with an mss60 or an mss65, I don’t know. You can flash mss60 software to the mss65 ad it will boot.

Hardware wise, I definitely know the EWS communication circuitry is different (mss60 is bidirectional, mss65 is receive only), but that shouldn’t matter much since ews4 can fall back to the can bus if the EWS comm kind isn’t working. There are probably other hardware differences, I haven’t done a thorough comparison. If Jim is modifying an mss60 for 10 cylinders, that is probably the easier route. But I can’t say for sure unless I try myself.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Using MSS60 software would definitely be easier than mss65 software. Whether it’s easier to start with an mss60 or an mss65, I don’t know. You can flash mss60 software to the mss65 ad it will boot.

Hardware wise, I definitely know the EWS communication circuitry is different (mss60 is bidirectional, mss65 is receive only), but that shouldn’t matter much since ews4 can fall back to the can bus if the EWS comm kind isn’t working. There are probably other hardware differences, I haven’t done a thorough comparison. If Jim is modifying an mss60 for 10 cylinders, that is probably the easier route. But I can’t say for sure unless I try myself.
I was unable get MSS60 to work with the CAS module in any form until all lines were available that EWS 4 expects. I was hoping otherwise. Fortunately the LCI E60 I'm working on had one of the two EWS4 lines run already to the CAS plug, but the "PA-Bus" line went up the connector for the non-existent ELV therefore none left the ELV plug to the DME. I repurposed other wires to cover that.

Having tried a few different things, the mss60 firmware will not operate the mss65 circuitry as there are some missing ATIC chips and memory address calls subsequently changed in the internal and external flash program areas on both processors. Also, since the ionic control circuitry between the two is managed differently (no ionic modules on the S65), the addressing and code for handling ionic misfire and knock detection would be inoperable.

On a side note out of all of this, I can now alter firing order, number of banks, etc and doing so for the S65 flat plane project over on m3post.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is this because it's and LCI? Would this be an issue with the PRE-LCI?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Is this because it's and LCI? Would this be an issue with the PRE-LCI?
Likely more of an issue. None of the wires I found populated in the DME plugs were listed in ISTA at all, same on the CAS side. Since no S85 powered car ever used EWS4, it's odd to see the car side DME plug have EWS4 wires populated. Same at the CAS. I suspect that in the wire harness construction process, even though the harness is constructed specifically for the chassis code (NB93 in the case of E60 M5), that the sub-harnesses laid inside the main bundle are standardized and pre-produced. This would explain why some non-HUD cars have connectors for HUD and others don't.

In the end, it was just easier to use an E9x CAS/DME/Key, the only problem becomes getting new keys from the dealer is a pain in the *** and requires proof of title of the donor E9x car.

If we were able to use mss65 and retain EWS3, we could marry to any existing CAS module including that already installed since I can "virginize" mss65s for re-use. But, since mss60 has the MPC563 processor "censorship" functions enabled, you can't read the injection side MPC by BDM to determine the secret key location and overwrite the flash and the KWP2000 ROM address lookup tables prohibit reading that area out by OBD. Or some similar mechanism anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yikes, does that mean there's no hope for us pre-lci folks?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Likely more of an issue. None of the wires I found populated in the DME plugs were listed in ISTA at all, same on the CAS side. Since no S85 powered car ever used EWS4, it's odd to see the car side DME plug have EWS4 wires populated. Same at the CAS. I suspect that in the wire harness construction process, even though the harness is constructed specifically for the chassis code (NB93 in the case of E60 M5), that the sub-harnesses laid inside the main bundle are standardized and pre-produced. This would explain why some non-HUD cars have connectors for HUD and others don't.

In the end, it was just easier to use an E9x CAS/DME/Key, the only problem becomes getting new keys from the dealer is a pain in the *** and requires proof of title of the donor E9x car.

If we were able to use mss65 and retain EWS3, we could marry to any existing CAS module including that already installed since I can "virginize" mss65s for re-use. But, since mss60 has the MPC563 processor "censorship" functions enabled, you can't read the injection side MPC by BDM to determine the secret key location and overwrite the flash and the KWP2000 ROM address lookup tables prohibit reading that area out by OBD. Or some similar mechanism anyway.
Sounds like EWS delete needs to become a priority in that case. That said, as I'm sure you're aware, early MSS60s are not locked, so a ~2008 M3 donor might be a better way to go for some people. I've been meaning to investigate clearing the censorship. Seems like it should be possible with a proper debugger. It would clear the data, but since I have a dump from one of those earlier MSS60s anyway, that's not a big deal.

Regarding the secret key. Do you have a means to bypass RSA? If so, can you edit the address lookup table? That's essentially what I've done on the non-M MSV80 and MSD8x to retrieve the secret key on those DMEs.

301 - 313 of 313 Posts
About this Discussion
312 Replies
64 Participants
terraphantm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing