BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
***test car needed***

Well, my plans for the vehicle I was going to test the DCT in have fallen through. The owner is not willing to wait and want the car back for the summer, so the engine will be going back in (suffered a broken piston ring) land next week with the SMG it arrived with. I'm a little disappointed, but understand as it wasn't the plan when the car arrived in the first place.

I am actively pursuing a test car for this project. I am 99% certain I have covered every aspect of this conversion from mechanical (trivial), electrical (easy), and programming (difficult, but sorted). I have a DME programmed for the DCT and calibrated already. There are close to 100 hours in the creation of this binary file.

I am looking for someone willing to commit to the financial responsibility of purchasing the needed hardware (DCT, shift knob, coolers, misc, and diff) and I will comp the labor charges associated. Ideally from the New England area so I can monitor long term health, etc, but not essential.

SMG and related components will be retained by me for recovery of some of the massive labor that goes into this.

Anyone seriously interested, please contact me.
Jim, please get back to me via my email if you still need a test car: [email protected]
I can give you my m6 for the entire summer. I am leaving for my country anyway, which means I would let you have my car throughout the summer alone without asking to let me have my beast back until october
and you know how much I spent for this car with you tune and headers.
DCT conversion will transform everything I am able to pay for DCT parts needed
It would be honored to be a guniue pig, plus the motor has only put down 40000miles.
Let me know, I have other things to ask too, if you can help me while you drop the motor;)

From Jayden

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Just read this thread all the way through, and wow there is some great information and many many hours have been spent so thanks to those that have shared it along the way!

I am looking for some info on a project I am involved with in the UK. Essentially, its an S85 and DCT fitted to another car (not BMW) for a customer to do track days etc.

It will use the OEM engine harness and Syvecs ECU that allows control and mapping of the DCT system as well as the engine control. I am doing a chassis harness for it, to incorporate the transmission wiring.

From my research so far, it looks like the electrical parts required to run a DCT (effectively out of the car) are as follows;

-DCT and its internal valve block/electronics
-GWS shift lever
-Drivelogic switch
-Up shift paddle (switch to ground to initiate shift?)
-Downshift paddle (switch to ground to initiate shift?)

We have all these parts but would anyone be able or happy to share pin-outs and and wiring info that link these units together, ideally that has been tried and proven if possible?

Any further help would be great,

Many thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I was under the impression that the Syvecs unit could not handle 10cyl and DCT and there were no plans to develop for the 10cyl.

Has that already changed?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Sorry, S65 V8 from E92 M3 with its DCT. I was typing too quickly last night..
Ok but would be nice if it was the case!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Syvecs is "working on it", but it's very low priority for them.

I will probably have a MoTeC M1 ready by the end of the year, after the OEM DME route is complete.
Ok, let´s hope there is a good standalone solution soon for S85+DCT ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting there now with various pin-outs and snippets of info, it seems the transmission is pretty straightforward to run external to the OEM chassis and wiring,

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
@jcolley what the best way to get in contact with you
If you find out please let me know. I've tried several times through different avenues throughout the years and can't seem to ever get a response. I've had rod bearing questions, throttle actuator questions, SMG questions etc, including questions about the SMG refurb he does but never got a response. I want to order a tune soon and thinking about ordering it with the eventuri intakes from him but honestly I don't feel so comfortable spending a good amount of money with someone if they don't have a chance to respond, especially a fellow board member, on multiple occasions. Each one of those questions was a repair that cost me a few thousand including parts that I wanted to order from him but never heard back. I love to support our own when we can, especially someone who puts in a lot of time, work and effort into our community but at the same time, I want to know I have someone there to help and support when it's needed. I've read many threads of happy members sharing their great experiences with Jim and was hoping that would be me one day too but so far hasn't happened.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Getting there now with various pin-outs and snippets of info, it seems the transmission is pretty straightforward to run external to the OEM chassis and wiring,

Thanks!
The Dct taking place of the smg externally has never been an issue it's actually a better fit it's the software that's always been the issue

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Guys lets keep this thread on topic, all other issues and questions will be deleted.
Thank you
Understood. Was just following up to my previous posts in this thread and didn't want to leave other members out of the loop to the status of the situation since several have expressed being in similar scenarios.

BTW can't wait for any updates to the DCT conversion. I've been anxiously waiting since the first controversial mention years ago, but I have full faith that if anyone will get it done, it will be Jim.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anything happened with jcolley's DCT build? Only thing I could find so far was some vague comments about it "being close" a couple months ago.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Has anything happened with jcolley's DCT build? Only thing I could find so far was some vague comments about it "being close" a couple months ago.

Last I talked to Jim he had my car up and running with the DCT ready ECU. My understanding is that should be a big step in completing the project.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Last I talked to Jim he had my car up and running with the DCT ready ECU. My understanding is that should be a big step in completing the project.
Thats awesome! Looking forward to this.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Waiting for this mod.
Anything happened since last post?

281 - 300 of 313 Posts
About this Discussion
312 Replies
64 Participants
terraphantm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing