BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Oh sorry, don't know why but I had never imagined the swap being from the M3 DCT...
Is that one strong enough for the tq/hp numbers you have?

Yes obviously upshifts are great on the DCT. Not sure about the downshifts though... I really miss the M5 downshifts when driving the M6...

If anybody is able to do such a swap I might be interesting in doing it and keeping the M5. But to be honest IMO nobody will ever be able to do so. When I see how aproximate my M6 DCT management is and I imagine how many hundreds or thousands hours of development BMW must have spent in its sofware.
The numerous times I have heard someone say nobody will do it and then someone does.....I would have quit my job by now if that was the case :wink

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
And here we go again. What ever happened to Dinane60M5 and his swap? We’re still waiting for a video like three years later. Would love to see some proof this has been done. :smile
It was. I'm confident given what I've found in the last few months that it's achievable. As soon as someone start giving out info on it, it becomes easier for others.

I'm confident Gintani did it with the help of a certain someone.

I'll be getting one on the road in the next month or so and I'll take pride that I did it on my own.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It was. I'm confident given what I've found in the last few months that it's achievable. As soon as someone start giving out info on it, it becomes easier for others.

I'll be getting one on the road in the next month or so and I'll take pride that I did it on my own.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you will make this happen. I’ve never said it couldn’t be done, only that many have claimed this over the years and we’ve yet to see it. Not only do i think you will do this, I’m sure it will work flawlessly, only because you’re that type of guy who takes great pride in doing things right.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Can't wait to see this! Hope this is something you'll be offering as a kit or a service - I am sure there would be more than a few takers :devil

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Who? And why have we not seen a functioning model besides some quick video that does nothing? Not being a hater, just curious. It I pulled off a M5 DCT swap I'd post it everywhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
As I understand it, it's the infamous Ruben / Mr. X that once posted here as Master Yoda. He is a well respected engine calibrator who did/does some OEM calibration for BMW as the rumor goes. I've reached out to him a few times over the years, but never a response. Understandably I suppose, he's on the top end of this market, I'm at the lowly bottom learning more and more each day how much I don't know.

I have heard from a few people that Gintani has worked with him and as Blue Thunder alludes to, he's the single individual best positioned to be able to accomplish something like this given his existing knowledge and interactions with the OEMs in the past. He would at least have the single greatest fundamental understanding of the mss65 and mss60, the toque modeling, the transmission interactions, etc.

Gintani has mostly avoided most of the forums and tends to keep things to themselves. After a couple of years in this business now, I more than understand that and won't even let people take pictures in my shop anymore and as much as I want to divulge all the things I come across, I'm faced with the reality of shooting myself in the foot.

I'm fairly certain I have the S85/E60/DCT solution locked down, but the reality of having to actually make a living doing this and the increasing financial requirement to complete the project for the car I had planned to complete it on is delaying it. No one loves a science project more than I do, hell, everything I touch turns into science project if I think about it too much. Just today while laid up with a back injury, it occurred to me to magnetic particle testing on used pistons to see if the iron deposited coating on the skirts was intact enough for reuse.

As much as it goes against what I believed in 3 year ago before I started this as a profession, I'm leaning less and less to sharing things I learn as it's my bread and butter.

I think the primary reason this hasn't been done up until this point is ROI and Gintani has probably priced this to recover their "I" on very few iterations as there probably won't be many before figuring it out. I'm somewhat crippled at this point having chosen AlienTech for my tuning distribution, so can't read/write complete areas of the DMEs at will as the Frieling iFlash guys do (Evolve, Gintani, AA, BPM, everyone else but Bren and I). I'm hoping to change this up this year as it was a poor business decision, but as is, it's a hindrance.

In all though, this little journey has been well worth it, I've discovered a huge lot of stuff in mss65 that isn't in use, but could be made of use. Unfortunately, DCT control isn't one of them with an existing program area.

·
2,132 Posts
While the last post I linked by Ruben doesn't portray his knowledge as well, perhaps this does a bit more. No doubt a knowledgeable guy, more than capable of a DCT conversion if he has the right info (even I do).
I have read that thread and Rubens posts a few times to gain knowledge. He knows his stuff that is for sure!

DCT kits for this platform would change everything!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm somewhat crippled at this point having chosen AlienTech for my tuning distribution, so can't read/write complete areas of the DMEs at will as the Frieling iFlash guys do (Evolve, Gintani, AA, BPM, everyone else but Bren and I). I'm hoping to change this up this year as it was a poor business decision, but as is, it's a hindrance.
For what it's worth, if all goes well, I will likely release software that will allow full reads/writes with off the shelf hardware at some point this year. This isn't my livelihood, so whatever software I make will be free (and probably open sourced). For the same reason, I can't offer anything in a timely fashion; school takes priority - hacking and coding is more a stress relief activity for me than anything else.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For what it's worth, if all goes well, I will likely release software that will allow full reads/writes with off the shelf hardware at some point this year. This isn't my livelihood, so whatever software I make will be free (and probably open sourced). For the same reason, I can't offer anything in a timely fashion; school takes priority - hacking and coding is more a stress relief activity for me than anything else.
Thats amazing bro. Thank you for supporting our community.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
As much as it goes against what I believed in 3 year ago before I started this as a profession, I'm leaning less and less to sharing things I learn as it's my bread and butter.
Totally understand your position. It´s a business.

Most people have no idea of the work & money it can take to do advanced tuning projects on complex platforms - not only solving the technical issues but also polish&prepare the product for selling to consumers.

There is a reason for the time&cost for those that are first.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think the primary reason this hasn't been done up until this point is ROI and Gintani has probably priced this to recover their "I" on very few iterations as there probably won't be many before figuring it out.
Their approach is still rather idiotic - if you're trying to maximize the revenue on that R&D you should be on every forum showing pictures of DCT trans bolted into the car, flipping through gears and getting people lined up for the swap. Especially if there's already stigma about your credibility floating around.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Their approach is still rather idiotic - if you're trying to maximize the revenue on that R&D you should be on every forum showing pictures of DCT trans bolted into the car, flipping through gears and getting people lined up for the swap. Especially if there's already stigma about your credibility floating around.

Thats what i dont get

And even if they dont if you had it done id be bragging lol!

Perhaps some confidential agreement in place???
I think it can be done
I dont believe gintani has but happy to be proved wrong

Its strange because i dont get the whole loving the dct thing
I think it has its place in supercars from ferrari and lambo and audi and mcclaren, but even the dct i find a little jerky and slow to go reverse to drive etc
It has its issues also

Driving smg at full tilt is a pleasure as is the v10 motor
The f10 you don't even feel like you got to 100 and your already past it!
I felt the same driving f430 and 458
Preffered the f430 as i felt alive! The 458 was incredible also but never felt like you got to the speed you were doing

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
***test car needed***

Well, my plans for the vehicle I was going to test the DCT in have fallen through. The owner is not willing to wait and want the car back for the summer, so the engine will be going back in (suffered a broken piston ring) land next week with the SMG it arrived with. I'm a little disappointed, but understand as it wasn't the plan when the car arrived in the first place.

I am actively pursuing a test car for this project. I am 99% certain I have covered every aspect of this conversion from mechanical (trivial), electrical (easy), and programming (difficult, but sorted). I have a DME programmed for the DCT and calibrated already. There are close to 100 hours in the creation of this binary file.

I am looking for someone willing to commit to the financial responsibility of purchasing the needed hardware (DCT, shift knob, coolers, misc, and diff) and I will comp the labor charges associated. Ideally from the New England area so I can monitor long term health, etc, but not essential.

SMG and related components will be retained by me for recovery of some of the massive labor that goes into this.

Anyone seriously interested, please contact me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats what i dont get

And even if they dont if you had it done id be bragging lol!

Perhaps some confidential agreement in place???
I think it can be done
I dont believe gintani has but happy to be proved wrong

Its strange because i dont get the whole loving the dct thing
I think it has its place in supercars from ferrari and lambo and audi and mcclaren, but even the dct i find a little jerky and slow to go reverse to drive etc
It has its issues also

Driving smg at full tilt is a pleasure as is the v10 motor
The f10 you don't even feel like you got to 100 and your already past it!
I felt the same driving f430 and 458
Preffered the f430 as i felt alive! The 458 was incredible also but never felt like you got to the speed you were doing
Driving one at full-tilt is indeed an experience. But that's about 1% of the driving many of our cars actually see. Unless you're at full WOT, in S6, at the rev limiter, the SMG is still shifting much slower than the DCT. It feels amazing once it crosses that threshold and allows you that max speed shift, but it's almost impossible to access that consistently unless you live far away from any major urban areas or only drive your car on the track. During "normal car" duties, the SMG is slow, clunky and easily confused. Yes, there is certainly some charm in it...I enjoy my car more with SMG than I would have with a manual gearbox, to be sure. And it's a bit like driving a race car. But, in practical terms, the SMG is simply not very good in a daily driven car.

The other aspect that I think isn't getting discussed as often as I thought it would be is the seeming order of magnitude increase (at least) in reliability the DCT has over the SMG...the reliability alone of the SMG is reason enough to get rid of it if you put any miles on your car at all, like I do (or did, at least). Now that parts for the SMGIII are also starting to dry up...it's going to become impossibly expensive and difficult to keep them functioning over time. I suppose every major component could be re-engineered and made better, but it seems simply adapting the DCT to work is a much easier task that also pays dividends in performance terms.

261 - 280 of 313 Posts
About this Discussion
312 Replies
64 Participants
terraphantm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing