BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I will be using the Brecus clutch and it has a considerably stronger pressure plate which will take more pedal force to work, I have been thinking about upgrading to the 850csi slave cylinder. One of my sources, whom I trust very much, is saying it would be too much and I wouldn't have any pedal feel at all. So how much stronger is the 850 compared to the M5? Is this something that should ONLY be done when using the 850 kit or has someone used it with another aftermarket unit?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
how much does it cost?

it's a pretty easy swap, if you don't like it, sell it.

I think clutch feel is very very very subjective. I prefer the feel of the 7.5" twin-plate setup that was in my drift car.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
$150'ish

BMW part number is 21521161874

Agreed on the clutch pedal opinions, but after talking with Adam who said it is pretty heavy compared to stock, I'd like to retain the stock like feel.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Reactions: M5 London

·
Company Representative for Brecus Motorsport
773 Posts
$150'ish

BMW part number is 21521161874

Agreed on the clutch pedal opinions, but after talking with Adam who said it is pretty heavy compared to stock, I'd like to retain the stock like feel.
Just an note...

We now have enough consistent feedback from a number of customers in both M3's and M5's and we believe we the kits are maintaining a factory-like street-able pedal feel for everyday street driving. The consensus is consistent with our 20-30% estimated increase in overall pressure.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Just so there's no misinformation from my end, I can confirm that there is an addtional 20-30% increase in effort. The difference is noticeable but not objectionable as I actually prefer this after driving mine back to back with a stock M5 on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Since I will be using the Brecus clutch and it has a considerably stronger pressure plate which will take more pedal force to work, I have been thinking about upgrading to the 850csi slave cylinder. One of my sources, whom I trust very much, is saying it would be too much and I wouldn't have any pedal feel at all. So how much stronger is the 850 compared to the M5? Is this something that should ONLY be done when using the 850 kit or has someone used it with another aftermarket unit?
I had this on my UUC V12 clutch kit when I first installed it. The pedal is almost honda civic light and has zero feel till the clutch breaks in. After it breaks in, it gets a smidge better in terms of feel. The UUC clutch has a 2400psi pressure plate, and with the E39 slave and E31 slave pin the pedal is heavy. I dont think the feramic clutch has such a heavy pressure plate. If you intend to use the 850 slave, you'll have to do the reverse of what I did (E31 slave, E39 pin)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not apples to apples, but I had a heavy aftermarket slave on my '05 GTO....got really old fast in any kind of traffic. In stop and go, my foot was dang near falling asleep from the pressure I had to apply.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I have the Rogue 280mm V12 conversion setup with JB Racing LTW flywheel and the 850 csi slave cylinder. The engagement is very high and lighter than stock, even with the substantially larger clutch. It took about a week for me to get used to it, but now, I love it because I barely touch the clutch pedal and the clutch engages, making for much faster shifting than with my original setup. Also great in traffic.

--Peter

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the Rogue 280mm V12 conversion setup with JB Racing LTW flywheel and the 850 csi slave cylinder. The engagement is very high and lighter than stock, even with the substantially larger clutch. It took about a week for me to get used to it, but now, I love it because I barely touch the clutch pedal and the clutch engages, making for much faster shifting than with my original setup. Also great in traffic.

--Peter
Agree-100%! A true win-win upgrade. Easiest clutch engagement I've experienced on a performance car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My experience with 850 CSI Slave

I have a stock clutch setup in my E39 M5 & I replaced the slave with the 850CSI Slave. I would say that it decreased pedal pressure by approximately 40%. It's fantastic, I love it. My left knee isn't perfect and I've always drove manual transmission cars because I love it but the M5 was causing me a little pain...the car is my daily driver. Now it's great, no issues whatsoever.
It's subjective of course but I would say go for it. It's super easy to switch back if you don't like it and as others have mentioned the part isn't very expensive. I think you'll love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts