BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so if you can re-gain extraordinary results through cleaning what appears to be a considerably more complex MAF, might one be able to clean the allegedly failed cam position sensor and expect similar results?

"What" exactly goes wrong on these seemingly benign devices?
The Peake tool will be here shortly & after pouring over myriad of 015 & similar CPS "drama" related theories, I fully expect similar readings.

Gang, how complex can they be? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Good question, I am curious to know the answer as well!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm curious as well. A bad cam position sensor was diagnosed by my local dealer this week, but I don't trust them enough to get it fixed there, so I am waiting until I go to my trusty dealer in southwest Florida to get it fixed. Unfortunately, I can't get down there until the 20th, but I called up the service rep and she said it should be o.k. to drive until then. The car has never gone into any limp mode or anything so I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Shows how important a good dealer is!

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
I got a CPS error, on bank 1 exhaust, cylinder cutout 1-4.

Changed the CPS and the car was good for a fiew weeks, then it got bad again.

I recomend that you get your car checked out after you change the CPS, becouse I heard of one case that the computer reported a bad CPS, but after the CPS was changed the computer reported a bad Vanos. After checking yout the vanos they found that the vanos valve was bad (changed from bank 1 to bank 2 and the error did follow). The error went from bank 1 out .. to bank 2 in, which is consistat with swiching the vanos valve between banks (vanos control unit solenoid valve part # 11367831450). That is consistant to this guys report :
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47950&highlight=vanos

Im taking my beast to the dealer next week to have the Vanos control unit selonoid switched from bank 1 to bank 2 (and vice versa).. the computer errors will then be checked.

I will keep you guys posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts