BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a spirited bit of A-road driving the other weekend, I'm sure there's something not right with the rear suspension on my 3.8.

I seem to be getting rear wheel steering - so the car turns in and then feels unstable and on the brink of bad oversteer (nasty and does nothing for my confidence) - after 13 years and 140k I reckon the bushes in the back are shot - does this sound familiar/reasonable?

It actually feels a lot like my brothers old E36 did when the rear trailing arm bushes went, so I'm expecting something similar. I was planning this as a winter project and taking the whole back end apart - what bushes are there to replace? Also anyone know what the camber angle is for the rear wheels and the toe-in settings (I guess it's adjustable somewhere?)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
day said:
After a spirited bit of A-road driving the other weekend, I'm sure there's something not right with the rear suspension on my 3.8.

I seem to be getting rear wheel steering - so the car turns in and then feels unstable and on the brink of bad oversteer (nasty and does nothing for my confidence) - after 13 years and 140k I reckon the bushes in the back are shot - does this sound familiar/reasonable?

It actually feels a lot like my brothers old E36 did when the rear trailing arm bushes went, so I'm expecting something similar. I was planning this as a winter project and taking the whole back end apart - what bushes are there to replace? Also anyone know what the camber angle is for the rear wheels and the toe-in settings (I guess it's adjustable somewhere?)
I'd go for the bushes alone and see what happens. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the improvement and doubt you'll have the set up anything more.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Yes, Id go along with that
Sounds like rear beam bushes to me. Right pain to change.
you could also look at the dogbone bushes which should bwe obvious by their shape. they are easy.

If this does not cure then rear springs.

I assume geometry is ok as you mention it as something recent & noticeable.

Before doing any of the above, look at the dampers to see if they are leaking out of the tops.
Ive had 5 edc dampers now & they do go very bouncy just before they show signs of leakage. Some of that can be minimised by switching to the sport setting on EDC if you have switchable setup.

Most likely the rear beam bushes if all else is well.

Farrell

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I've got a 'torn' n/s rear axle beam bush after having a blow out at 135mph a while back and gives similar symptoms. They were both replaced about 6 weeks prior to that happening as well. Its going in finally next week so am looking forward to getting my handling back too!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for confirming what I suspected - I reckon some of the bushing must have gone a bit soft - tyres are wearing evenly and no MOT worries but I guess the bushes would still look OK for an MOT even if the handling is lethal!

I will keep an eye on the EDC units too, but they look OK - they have been replaced in the past but the bushes probably haven't.

In the meantime I'll not be doing anything heroic.

Any idea (briefly) what I have to strip to get at the offending bits?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts