BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished looking at a 2001 CPO M5 with warranty until 12/06. It is light blue with the black/silver interior and the interior is in excellent shape. It has 49.5K miles and the dealer is asking $45K. The options are PDC and fold down rear seats. The paint seems to be in good shape with just some minor paint scratches on the trunk near the spoiler and up front under the bumper. According to carfax, it is a two-owner vehicle from the PA, NY, NJ (it was titled in all three states) area that was originally sold as a company car and then sold on at less than 15K miles. The BMW service history ends at about 28K, with the dealer’s inspection being the last item. Best I can tell from the carfax the dealer showed me, both times it was sold it was at an auction and sold as a fleet vehicle. The carfax didn’t show any major repairs or accidents, but I noticed that the plastic tray under the car just forward of the right front wheel is badly torn and some metal or foil is showing behind the plastic and looks scratched. Also, the wheel well liner at the front is loose right at the bottom. During the test drive, I noticed a strong vibration at any speed above about 45. I know from past posts that the dealers don’t always get everything right, but this seems obvious. Should I be concerned about the large gap in the maintenance history and the fact that it was hit or hit something or just use those facts as a bargaining chip? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance for any advice.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Do you really need to ask?!

Is this being sold by a BMW dealer? I cannot imagine a BMW dealer selling a car with a 'vibration'. I'd say the 'bargaining chip' is worth 10-15k, otherwise pass. It need a VERY thorough examination by a competent mechanical to look for evidence of repair- PLUS there should be NO loose or broken parts- and of course no vibrations at ANY speed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ard said:
Do you really need to ask?!

Is this being sold by a BMW dealer? I cannot imagine a BMW dealer selling a car with a 'vibration'. I'd say the 'bargaining chip' is worth 10-15k, otherwise pass. It need a VERY thorough examination by a competent mechanical to look for evidence of repair- PLUS there should be NO loose or broken parts- and of course no vibrations at ANY speed.
It is being sold by BMW of Mountain View, CA. I ask because I am only so-so with mechanical things. My fear is that the damage was caused by the car being hit and the vibration due to improperly repaired suspension. On the other hand, the damage may just be from hitting a paking block at an angle and would have no impact to the reliability or drivability of the car and the vibration may just be caused by a bad balance job. I just don't know. But you're implied answer is right, if I have any concerns, then I probably need to move on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks in advance for any advice.<O:p></O:p>[/QUOTE]
Walk away from this car, do not even bother to try to explain the potential problems. It is pretty expensive for the price they are asking for. You may want to up you threshold and look for 2003/2003 model. You will find a car in much better shape and with less potential problems for the the same price, just be patient.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
ChuckRoberts said:
It is being sold by BMW of Mountain View, CA. I ask because I am only so-so with mechanical things. My fear is that the damage was caused by the car being hit and the vibration due to improperly repaired suspension. On the other hand, the damage may just be from hitting a paking block at an angle and would have no impact to the reliability or drivability of the car and the vibration may just be caused by a bad balance job. I just don't know. But you're implied answer is right, if I have any concerns, then I probably need to move on.
BMW of Mountainview. Good to know.

Look, here's the thing: if they present to you a car with a vibration, they either don't care or they are assuming you a fool or they are stupid and didn't know it is a problem- all three scenarios say 'stay away from this dealer'.

If the vibration is easily fixed, why wasn't it already fixed?

Let's say they manage to fix whatever is wrong, but to do so, they tweak the alignment to the maximum of the adjustment range- sure, meets the 'letter of the spec' but not what you want for the $$$s.

The lack of proof of maintenance can void the entire warranty. (Technically not 'voided' but if there is a failure they can say "hey, no proof you (OR THE PRIOR OWNER) took proper care and that caused or contributed to the failure.")

My 2 cents

A

·
Registered
439 Posts
honestly , east coast cars take a bigger beating than west coast ones. i wouldnt spend that much on that m5 unless its from your state. cali cars never see salt, or icey weather. that should be enough to make you look for another car.

just my 2 cents

ray

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Run, do not walk, away from this car!

As many have pointed out, patience will bring you the car you want, at (or near) the price you want.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
The undertray is VERY easily damaged. Most of us have replaced at least one component of it (i did, again, just a couple of weeks ago). The vibration is a little more concerning. If you really like this particular car, have them do an alignment and wheel ballance, then drive it again. There can be some simple issues. Many high performance tires will flat spot if the car has sat for a while. My R compound tires shake like crazy for about 5-6 miles after sitting overnight (on a track weekend, for instance) and my michellin pilots would if the car sat for > a week. How long was your test drive and what kind of tires are on the car? It may be something simple...

As for the service history, is the dealer just showing you carfax data (it's not worth much). Did they print up the bmw dealer history off the DCS in the service dept? I'd be surprised if the car didn't at least get in for its free scheduled maintanence... of course, if you're leery, it's probably not meant to be in the first place. There are a lot of cars in the bay area. Concord bmw currently has a realy nice looking cpo 02 in lemans blue.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts