BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have upgraded to the LED tail lights, where have you installed the transformers? The instructions say to put them underneath the spare tire but that doesn't really apply to the M5. Some have put them next to the M mobility kit but the transformers get pretty hot after the lights have been on - does that mess up the styrofoam where the mobility kit is? Any other place that it can be put? I was thinking of putting the left one in the left side navi/CD compartment and the right one by the fuse box in the right panel. Any advice?

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have them both located in the right side panel and have experienced no problems. They fit underneath the fabric panel when it is stowed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
watchme said:
I have them both located in the right side panel and have experienced no problems. They fit underneath the fabric panel when it is stowed.
If you happen to have some pics that you could show, that would be really great.

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'll post some pictures this weekend when I get my camera back. But only if you guys will excuse the use of "temporary" black duct tape. (couldn't bring myself to drill into the beast)!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
watchme said:
I'll post some pictures this weekend when I get my camera back. But only if you guys will excuse the use of "temporary" black duct tape. (couldn't bring myself to drill into the beast)!
That would be great and no problem, I won't hold the duct tape against you! By the way, didn't you drill holes to fit the lights into the body of the car? Just wondering if you used a different kit than me.

Hugh

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ttboyvanc said:
Thanks Hugh, I have rear fog lights(Euro model), do these hella LED units have them as well?
No they don't so in that sense, they won't be the same as the ones you have now. The bmwtips.com website has instructions on how to install fog lights for the US spec tail lights but that's probably more work than what you want to do. I don't know where to get Euro LEDs but would have liked to if I knew how. Hope this helps.

Hugh

·
Registered
361 Posts
hughallen99 said:
By the way, didn't you drill holes to fit the lights into the body of the car?
Yes I drilled those holes...but at least there is a gasket there. I think there is a bumper mounting arm/shock under the area where the ballasts went.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts