BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone tried replacing the taillight bulbs with LED replacement? I am thinking of replacing all my bulbs with their LED equivalent. But I am wondering if they will trigger a OBC error message.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
dmz said:
Have anyone tried replacing the taillight bulbs with LED replacement? I am thinking of replacing all my bulbs with their LED equivalent. But I am wondering if they will trigger a OBC error message.
Yes they will trigger a brake light warning. You'll need to get load equalizers.

http://myroadster.net/led.asp scroll ALL the way to the bottom

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
dmz said:
Been there done that. I have tried replacing the brake lights and that includes the 3rd brake light with various LED's three seperate times with three different types of LED bulbs. I have also tried them in the turn signals as well. It has been a disappointing experience each time. Yes, you will get the error message if you do not use a load equilizer as stated above, but that was not the problem.

Because LED's are much more focused than incandesents, you do not get the coverage with this conversion, thus if you are viewing the brake lights from the wrong angle, they are not nearly as bright as the OEM bulbs. It is the same issue with the turn signals.

If you notice on any of the new cars that come with LED indicators from the factory, there will normally be a large number of the LED's spread over a given area along with the correct reflector to further help with the spread of light. Just look at the LED's that are used on the side of the tail lights in the M5. There are 4 LED's that match up with the light bars in the rear lense. If you look at these LED's from the right angle they are very bright. In fact they are a great deal brighter than any other marker on our car. On the other hand, if viewed from a bad angle they are only about 1/3rd as bright.

Bottom line; I believe trying to retrofit LED's into a lense not made for them is not going to produce the results you are looking for. They are not cheap either. Replace the lense and add LED's and that might work, but I have not seen this option anywhere.

Just speaking from experience,

Mark

·
Registered
192 Posts
mark; very OT, anyway:

Why did you remove the X-Pipe ?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
robertdn said:
mark; very OT, anyway:

Why did you remove the X-Pipe ?
I removed it when I installed the Tubi exhaust. The Tubi comes with its own version of the x-pipe already in place.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts